Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my husband came home late. I expected him to come home late because of football. Anyhow, Beau heard him come in at 12 am and started barking.

First of all, Beau rarely ever barks. I think as a show dog, he was trained not to bark, but we don't care if he does because I know some barking is normal.

What I do know is there are animals out back. He never barks at them though? He got very curious when we found out a racoon was living out back, but he didn't bark like that.

My husband came home and was setting up because he has a football game tomorrow (it's homecoming weekend). He kept coming in and out of the house, but he let Beau know he was here. Beau kept barking. My husband even finished and he kept barking when we went to bed. We live in the suburbs so there can be commotion/animals sometimes. But it was 1 am and he was giving his alert bark. I alarmed the house in case of an intruder, but he still kept barking. I never figured out what it was and it's so strange of him. He's 8 years old so he's a senior but his health is fine and I don't think he had to pee or anything. I don't really care if a raccoon is out back. I won't let him go near it and he knows animals live in the bushes.

It was just so strange. He never barks like that. Is it most likely a strange animal? Anyone ever had this happen where your dog never barks and they randomly start barking in the middle of the night?

PS he finally shut up once I picked him up and cuddled him in bed. He was ancy at first, but he fell asleep like normal eventually at like 2 am but he was barking for at least an hour which isn't like him.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Well he probably got his alert mode out of whack when your husband came in at an odd time. Even though he saw him he probably didn't relate that it was him going in and out of the house. Nice that he alerts you. Though not for an hour, LOL. My guys go to sleep and not a sound except for our terrier, if someone comes in late or anytime for that matter she starts her barking but once they are in she is fine, she would however bark overtime the door opened or closed so if you did it 10x she bark the whole time. Our boxer and poodle don't care very much they may give a bark or two but thats it.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
BF went out last night to hang with some of his friends and came home around 11:30. Everybody barked to tell me he was back. They settle down pretty quickly but most times when he has been out with friends they bark. On the other hand though when I got home around 10:30 on Wednesday nobody took notice. I think they notice lots of things that make them tell us there is something unusual, but sometimes I guess if they are already sleeping deeply not so much.

Reactions: mythrider

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is, he rarely ever barks. The neighbors love him because he doesn't bark. But it was just odd. He was quiet for a little when my husband settled down, but started up again which got me thinking it wasn't my husband, it was something outside. There is crime in my area. I know there were a series of crimes like 10 minutes away but I'm in a gated community. And also we have a top of the line alarm system for safety reasons.

It's just odd because he never barks like that on a good day. He's not a barker AT ALL. If he ever barks its just like three yap and he's done. But this time it was constant barking. He has howled, but he didn't howl this time. I am used to barking because I grew up with barking boxers but I just want to know what he was barking at if anything... As long as it is outside and not inside.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
In the case of crime being not so far away I guess I'd be just as happy he barked. We also have a very good alarm system and I had hd cameras installed outside this past year, so that if something happens I can at least look back and take a look. We too are gated but you never know .

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah there was a series of crimes and a woman was shot like 10 mins away. And the store 3 mins away from me was robbed a week ago. I think they they caught the guy but this area is considered one of the most crime related areas of USA. So I wouldn’t be surprised.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts