Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted this on our neighbourhood website. Think it'll accomplish anything?

Dear Dog Owners:

Dogs bark. I know this especially well at the moment because ours is an unruly adolescent—a truly terrible teen who I'd sell for a nickel if I thought anyone would want her.

(I kid, but only slightly.)

She barks at the FedEx man. She barks at kind neighbors silhouetted against their porch lights. She barks at flags if they're whipping a little too wildly in the wind. She sometimes seems to bark at nothing at all.

But she is NEVER unaccompanied and I always promptly intervene. I would never leave her outside to bark away the hours, disrupting the neighborhood and driving herself (and my poor neighbors) mad with frustration.

Please be equally considerate.

Dogs bark, yes. We all understand. But they should not be an ongoing nuisance to the community. And today's been rather unbearable.

I mean this sincerely: If you have to choose between leaving your dog alone outdoors and asking for help, PLEASE ASK ME FOR HELP. I'm happy to come check in on your pup and steal it away for a walk if it seems bored or anxious. I can even bring it over here to hang out for an hour.

For free.

Because that's how much I value peace and quiet and your dog's wellbeing :)

Your neighbor,
Robin

P.S. No, I have no interest in filing a noise complaint. Seems silly when we're all more than capable of being respectful of one another.

P.P.S. Hi from Peggy the poodle! (Don't be fooled. She's not nearly as innocent as she looks.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think it's a very kind thing to offer help to your neighbors and their dogs, but the pessimist in me says your note probably won't change anything. It seems like some/most people don't realize or don't care about how their actions (or lack thereof) will impact others. I hope they prove me wrong!! If so, let me know and I can work on restoring a bit of my faith in humanity ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can't think of a time in my adult life when I haven't had a neighbor's dog bark when I garden.

I once fell and broke my leg in our backyard (I was seven months pregnant at the time); the neighbor's two dogs barked at me the entire time I lay there. I got so angry that I bounced on my bottom up the stairs and into the house - leg and baby bump and all - just to get away from the stupid dogs. lol

I wish you luck.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You were polite, you stated the issue, you offered to help, and you used some humor. I hope you get the response you want.

We actually have a neighbor directly behind us who basically had their dog out all summer long, and it barked all the time. It barked when the owners were out, and when it was left alone. I actually watched the owner encourage the barking once. We ignored it, but we had quite a few neighbors upset because they could hear the dog in their house. I think someone must have finally complained because I didn't see him out in the fall.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's a very kind thing to offer help to your neighbors and their dogs, but the pessimist in me says your note probably won't change anything. It seems like some/most people don't realize or don't care about how their actions (or lack thereof) will impact others. I hope they prove me wrong!! If so, let me know and I can work on restoring a bit of my faith in humanity ;)
The pessimist in me feels similarly. Or maybe we're just realists....

Let's hope these folks prove us wrong!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't think of a time in my adult life when I haven't had a neighbor's dog bark when I garden.

I once fell and broke my leg in our backyard (I was seven months pregnant at the time); the neighbor's two dogs barked at me the entire time I lay there. I got so angry that I bounced on my bottom up the stairs and into the house - leg and baby bump and all - just to get away from the stupid dogs. lol

I wish you luck.
That story is equal parts hilarious and horrifying! My gosh. I hope you recovered fully.

Guess they can't all be Lassie!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You were polite, you stated the issue, you offered to help, and you used some humor. I hope you get the response you want.

We actually have a neighbor directly behind us who basically had their dog out all summer long, and it barked all the time. It barked when the owners were out, and when it was left alone. I actually watched the owner encourage the barking once. We ignored it, but we had quite a few neighbors upset because they could hear the dog in their house. I think someone must have finally complained because I didn't see him out in the fall.
I would be mortified if my dog was making that amount of noise. I just don't understand people sometimes.

We had one a while back that didn't bark hysterically like the dogs were today, but it would yip every 30 seconds or so, for hours on end, getting progressively more hoarse.

It was the most pitiful sounding thing and REALLY hard on the nerves. Never knew when the next yip would come....but you knew it was coming.

And then every once in a while, the owner would abruptly shout at it and I'd jump.

Just a sad situation all around. Why even get a dog?

·
Premium Member
9,249 Posts
What a thoughtful neighborhood you are. There is no way in hell, I would be so generous to offer even a play date with our (nice) neighbor’s noisy Australian Shepherd. It already bit DH when he greeted them on his bike as they were out walking. We have two Giant Schnauzers on the street that also bark a lot, and I’m not up for a visit from them either.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What a thoughtful neighborhood you are. There is no way in hell, I would be so generous to offer even a play date with our (nice) neighbor’s noisy Australian Shepherd. It already bit DH when he greeted them on his bike as they were out walking. We have two Giant Schnauzers on the street that also bark a lot, and I’m not up for a visit from them either.
It's really a testament to just how ANNOYING these dogs are!! Lately I can hear them in the living room and the master bedroom, with the windows closed, so it's really hard to escape the noise.

I also just feel so bad for them. I've never gotten a look at what breed they are. Maybe I'd change my mind if I did. 😂

Until recently it was just one dog stuck behind a very tall fence, all day, every day. It was triggered by any passersby and would continue for about five minutes after the coast was again clear. But then: merciful silence.

Now I suspect they've added a second behind the same fence, and so it's non-stop for hours, probably egging each other on.

I don't understand why their immediate neighbours tolerate it. If it's this loud in here, I can't even imagine! We live in a community with the houses set quite close together. Our property's one of the largest at just under a 1/4 acre.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We have some great neighbours who we really like, who sometimes have a giant Schnauzer and a GSD (a shared custody situation--theyre there about half the time.) The Schnauzer is quiet but the GSD barks almost nonstop in one of those annoying "shrieking through a hose" kind of tones. Thank heavens we're far enough away to hear him but not close enough to keep us awake or anything. Anyway he's a really nice dog, but the barking! I can see how it would drive someone up the wall.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(And that's just the dogs near me. If I walk deeper into the neighbourhood, there are some real doozies. I avoid one street now entirely because a lab mix rushes the fence and scares the crap out of me EVERY time.)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have some great neighbours who we really like, who sometimes have a giant Schnauzer and a GSD (a shared custody situation--theyre there about half the time.) The Schnauzer is quiet but the GSD barks almost nonstop in one of those annoying "shrieking through a hose" kind of tones. Thank heavens we're far enough away to hear him but not close enough to keep us awake or anything. Anyway he's a really nice dog, but the barking! I can see how it would drive someone up the wall.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
I love GSDs so that's one dog I would absolutely beg to steal for an hour! Or just go over there to play fetch. It would be so worth for it for the silence.

Do you live on a country property? I think local laws can make it much trickier to get noise assistance if you're outside the city limits. We're technically in the city, so there's really no excuse for some of our neighbours. They certainly don't need to leave their dogs outside for protection. There's no livestock to defend.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
That is a lovely letter. I, sadly, am one of those offending owners. With Stella barking out of control, of course it encouraged the other two to bark right along with her. I honestly don't know how or why, I never got a letter of violation from my Condo Association.

I would have responded very well to this letter, and would have solved the problem sooner. I just held out hope that something, (anything), I tried would finally work with her. It was my friend who pointed me in the right direction. Now it is pretty peaceful for me and my neighbors.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a lovely letter. I, sadly, am one of those offending owners. With Stella barking out of control, of course it encouraged the other two to bark right along with her. I honestly don't know how or why, I never got a letter of violation from my Condo Association.

I would have responded very well to this letter, and would have solved the problem sooner. I just held out hope that something, (anything), I tried would finally work with her. It was my friend who pointed me in the right direction. Now it is pretty peaceful for me and my neighbors.
I'm so happy you found a solution! It's so tricky in a condo or apartment. I had to navigate that situation myself, years ago, with two small dogs. Not easy.

But you'd never leave Stella outside all day, so I don't feel you're in the same category at all. We've got folks in our neighbourhood who blatantly violate our HOA rules by keeping dogs in a yard. I don't think they ever go inside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts