Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the AKC recently recognized the barbet as a dog breed. I remeber reading somewhere that they are ancestors to the poodle. I'm not interested in buying one because I don't find their faces attractive, but I'm wondering if any of you have meet one in person or know anything about their temperament.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yes I heard about it! I think it's great. I'd much rather the doodle people get barbets or PWDs if they want that look and don't want a poodle (even though we all know the poodle is superior)! As far as I know they are one of the water dogs, like the PWD, the Spanish water dog, the Lagotto Romagnolo, and the Poodle. I think it's generally thought that they're related to poodles but not so much an ancestor. The Lagotto Romagnolo is the oldest, so possibly the "ancestor" but back then breeds were more of "types." I have heard the temperament described much the same as poodles, though I have never met one. I think the traditional coat of the barbet was more wavy than curly, though some will have the curly coat due to gene admixture. I think the coat maintenance separates them a bit as they are traditionally kept long and must be brushed frequently, where as Lagottos are kept long but not brushed regularly and are instead sheared periodically. Barbets seem most similar to PWDs in build and coat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts