Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before i got Mister the owners had a wellness puppy plan thing threw Banfield and then got their microchip put in him. It is picked up at vets offices when they scan him so in your opinion should i get the Avid one since its more widely recognized? He will then have two in him that are registered under my name.
His Banfield one is also half way down his back! Im assuming this is because he got it when he was a little pup and it migrated, so if i got the Avid it would be put in right under the skin in between the shoulder blades so im sure that one would be picked up first if he were ever scanned.
So if Mister was your dog would you get him chipped again with avid or just stick with the banfield one? Im leaning more towards getting the avid one put in.... i think its $28 at my vet.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think if it's a universal one, it should be OK. However, are you able to change the home address and info on the Banfield one? That would be my biggest concern.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm not completely sold on microchips, but if you want him chipped, I think you should do it again. I don't like anything Banfield. (I think of the them as the Walmart of vet clinics.) While people are supposed to scan the entire dog b/c it's not uncommon for chips to migrate, I don't think everyone that should know that does. I know nothing about Avid, but if you've researched it, as far as it being able to be read by all scanners, then go for it.

I don't like chips b/c the migrate, there is/was a lot of issues over different scanners not being able to read them all and not every vet clinic/shelter has an universal scanner. I did have two of my cats chipped and was told that the vet's office keeps the info, which I don't like. The vet closes at 5:30, I would have my cell or home phone at all times, especially if my pet were lost. They also said they don't like to chip animals unless they are under anesthesia. If I had to put one of my pets under for another reason and the info could be put in my name, I'd reconsider it. But I'm not going to rush out and have it done just b/c. I think posters, websites, tags, etc work just as well if not better than chips. I also find tattoos interesting b/c they are permanent and can been seen by the naked eye. (No scanner needed!) I just don't think they're done very often anymore.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
His Banfield one is also half way down his back! Im assuming this is because he got it when he was a little pup and it migrated, so if i got the Avid it would be put in right under the skin in between the shoulder blades so im sure that one would be picked up first if he were ever scanned.
Just an FYI, the chips can and will migrate regardless of where they are implanted and at what age it's done. A new chip could also migrate.

Also, someone mentioned tattoos and I know from experience that these do fade over time, becoming unreadable in some cases.

My father-in-law's Spoo has an ear tattoo. She's 2 now and it's not readable anymore.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Just an FYI, the chips can and will migrate regardless of where they are implanted and at what age it's done. A new chip could also migrate.

Also, someone mentioned tattoos and I know from experience that these do fade over time, becoming unreadable in some cases.

My father-in-law's Spoo has an ear tattoo. She's 2 now and it's not readable anymore.
But you can see that it's faded and have it redone. You don't know if a chip has migrated unless you scan for it or it's being rejected and you can see just under or coming out of the skin.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
But you can see that it's faded and have it redone. You don't know if a chip has migrated unless you scan for it or it's being rejected and you can see just under or coming out of the skin.
Yes, this is true. Although I wonder how many tattoos you'd have to give the dog if you had to redo it every few years. In any case, at least people would see the tattoo, faded or not, and know immediately that someone wanted this dog to be indentifiable.

Maybe a tattoo and a chip would cover all the bases?

I think I'm going to get the AVID chip on Jager...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think i would ever get a tattoo done on my dog. I find it somewhat inhumane unless the dog is knocked out for it. I know what tattoos feel like and wouldnt know how a dog would tolerate it or understand it.

I am going to get another Avid put under his shoulder blades. Tags can be lost and regarless if he has a collar on (which most times he doesnt) someone can still keep him. I would feel more comfortable having a more universal chip and not jsut the banfield one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts