Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starla’s hair is getting long enough I’d like to start pinning it back so she can see. The problem I’m running into when I try to band is I always catch her eyelashes and take them out immediately because it looks so uncomfortable, like her eyes are being pulled open. Is there a trick I’m missing?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've looked into that too, search "eyelashes" on the forums.

Based on what I read some people leave them and some people trim them. It seemed like an optional aesthetic, but at what cost? Same deal, it looked uncomfortable. I'm not sure there's a benefit to keeping them long. I trimmed Basil's down to .5-1 inch length so I don't have to worry. Less worry is good.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I’ll have to read up on trimming her eyelashes!

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you hold her topknot hair with your hand, then I think you will find it easier to use the shears to figure out which are the eyelashes (rather than first banding then trying to find eyelashes to trim). I just kind of pull the eyelashes out from under my hand with the shears, then I make sure not to cut any top knot hair! I also like to use curves because it seems that I get all the eyelashes on one pass with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
First, use dental bands, not thick rubber bands. Second, every day, slide one blade of a pair of scissors under the dental band(s) to break them and brush out the topknot with a pin brush. Third, use a knitting needle to part the hair - on a standard poodle, part off about an inch from the bridge of the nose to band. Fourth, after banding the hair, use the knitting needle to gently pull the band a little bit away from the head so the hair is not pulled tight. Here is how: from the front, stick the knitting needle under the rubber bands and gently pull the bands up and back so the hair in that band is not pulled tightly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips! I haven’t cut her eyelashes. The jury is still out on that. 😬 I’m not usually nervous about grooming any of my animals but scissors near the eyes give my stomach a turn. I do use the clippers there without hesitation though. 🤔

pulling the hair forward while banding and sliding my chopstick (90s hair chopstick/dating myself here!) in to loosen really helped. This is the best they’ve ever been, though they’re certainly not great, and she’s diligently trying to remove them as I type.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. :) She’s 16 weeks and a couple days, and I’m just starting. I’ve tried a few times this week but this is the first time I’ve left them in. It’s been almost an hour and both are still in despite her best efforts to remove them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts