Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Popcorn is 4 months old and she has really bad gas. Our older dog, who now lives with my mom due to our son's allergies, had it too, but we found if we had her on food with no chicken or chicken by product it was not a problem. Popcorn has been on Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken Puppy for about 2 months. Its made with Lamb, but she has the same gas as Cinder did on chicken. Its bad, burn your nose bad. I put her on Solid Gold based on info from the forum and internet research, but not I'm wondering if I should change her to something else.

You all are a wealth of knowledge, so what do you think.

thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
My boy had gas really bad. I changed his food to grain free and in a couple days he was gas free! Some poodles have an allergy to grain. He is on Evo red meat large bites.

·
Registered
646 Posts
could be food but an easy way to help gas is a tablespoon of plain yogurt on kibble each meal.
Worked for my mastiff for years.
You can also buy pills but try the yogurt first,

·
Registered
486 Posts
I say try the simplest thing first, add yogurt. That's always my first line of attack with a stomach or gas issue. Works often.
Carole

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Are you positive no one in your house is sneaking people food to her? I've noticed that Teddy seems to have the worst smelling gas after he has had a little bit of turkey that was prepared for people. I don't know why that is, but I don't feed him dog food with turkey. I guess it's possible he's like your Cinder was with chicken.

I normally feed him Wellness Core (chicken liver variety) mixed with a little Wellness Puppy dry and sometimes some shredded mozzarella cheese (or a sprinkle of parmesan), and he never has smelly gas on that.

My sister's lab, on the other hand...if her dog farted in a subway car, it would be bad. Mass panic. People would be trampled by people trying to get to fresh air. They are very bad about giving her people food and that's why she gets it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Just thought of something else. Ask your vet first, of course, but you may be able to give her something like Beano or Gas-X.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I just give Teddy some plain yogurt with live cultures (most do) and it clears it up - I just gave it to him one time actually.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. She usually gets to lick the yogurt container in the morning, but I'll try putting some in her bowl to see if it works. About the only people food she gets other than the speck of yogurt is sometimes some bread, carrot or cheese, but just a little as a special treat.

Thanks everyone and more suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Thanks for the info. She usually gets to lick the yogurt container in the morning, but I'll try putting some in her bowl to see if it works. About the only people food she gets other than the speck of yogurt is sometimes some bread, carrot or cheese, but just a little as a special treat.

Thanks everyone and more suggestions are welcome
you are welcome - but don't give her bread - that can cause gas and loose bowels - make sure the yogurt is plain with no sugar. good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts