Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Dima was very hungry tonight and decided to check the kitchen.
Lucky dog found two cooked chicken legs and ate them all with bones and everything.

I was cleaning after dinner and ran away for two seconds and while I did that Dima decided to use the rare opportunity :doh:

I called two Vet's who said me to just wait and see that would be my only option :S
If she would get sick I should call them ASAP

So anyone who has a story to share with me about Chicken bone eating ?
And how it vent?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I left a box of chicken wing remnants on the counter once and my mega bratty cat (Opi) knocked the entire box off. Once it hit the floor, Bailey aparently dragged the whole box off, to his bed and consumed all the bones, sauce and all. It looked like he may have eaten a tiny bit of the styrofoam box too. I left it on the counter b/c I was going to take it to the big trash can outdoors. Opi likes to knock the trash in the kitchen over if someone throws any kind of meat in it. Bailey was fine, but it was a scary few days.

Opi is lucky he is cute.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Cameo is a terrible dumpster diver and will dig thru the trash if given the chance. SOOOOooo, once she got in because my SON hadn't taken the garbage out and forgot to close the pantry door completely. I had clean some chicken breast's that had been left over and made chicken salad, so Cameo saw her opportunity and went for it. She ate all of the left over bones, skin, and such for the breast's and if I hadn't found her "nest" I'd not have known. I started giving her bread to help move things along and "cushion" and bones that might have made it past her tummy. After a few days, I thought, "WHEW" no impactions or perforations! Whelp, I thought to soon and she broke with BLOODY diarrhea and it was BAD and on a Saturday! I rushed her to my vet (thank god for her!) and I was SOOO panicked, but my wonderful vet calmed me down, checked Cameo out and gave me the OK sign. She Rx'd some meds and sent me home feeling much better. Cameo apparently had a small bout of upset stomach from all the skin and fat that wasn't digesting properly.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Hmm, I don't know about cooked chicken, but I feed Beau raw chicken parts nearly every day, bones and all. Usually wings or necks. The bones are the part he likes best! No problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well your right to worry but in my experience its will turn out ok, it was a rare thing and im sure he'll be fine. Just keep a close eye on him and how hes acting.
Its not recommended to feed cooked bones to dogs but if it happens it happens i suppose. Dogs do have very tough stomachs so i wouldnt worry too much.
Kepp us posted

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Hmm, I don't know about cooked chicken, but I feed Beau raw chicken parts nearly every day, bones and all. Usually wings or necks. The bones are the part he likes best! No problems whatsoever.
Cooked chicken bones become brittle and can splinter in the dog's stomach or intestines.

I think it's one of those things that isn't going to happen every time, but the fact that it could happen is cause enough to be concerned if your dog ingests one.

Raw chicken bones are okay.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope Dima will be lucky :)

She has a very tough stomach and usually never gets diarrhea or anything like that and the things she has eaten are very nasty..

I am hoping it will end well the chicken was just cooked in the oven for a short time just enough to kill everything so the bones where not cooked to much.

Just have to cross my finger and wait.

Thanks for the support and advise

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lulu often finds chicken bones on our walks. Since she's off-leash when this happens and knows I can't catch her, I just have to let her eat them. So far, no problems. I think the odds of it happening are probably pretty minimal, but I sure don't want to be the unlucky dog owner to find out!

·
Registered
22 Posts
OMG, I just remembered one Christmas at our cabin we had half a turkey leftover and no place to put it, so we left it in the kitchen by a cool window. The next morning we couldn't find the turkey, the bag or the bones. But boy oh boy did my friend's dog need to go out! He was pooping out shopping bag for days!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts