Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late in the afternoon on Friday most groomer's worst nightmare walked in the door and wanted an appointment right away. Normaly I don't like to take walk ins and I really was booked buuuttt my last dog of the day belonged to the "other owner" of the shop and these ladies walked in with the most pathetic excuse for a dog I have ever laid eyes on. Wrapped up in a towel was a little five thousand year old toy poodle who was matted all over and his face..... whoa, I have never seen anything like that - ever. I can't even discribe it to you, GROSS! It's eyes were almost matted shut and It almost looked like it had dreadlocks that were coated at the ends with whatever food it eats. Mats with little brown decorations on it them I guess... ? I got the usual sob story about how the dog needed to be groomed right now and belonged to an elderly lady who didn't have hardly any family left... you get the idea. The ladies apparently were the daughters of the old lady. I felt sorry for the thing, which I could smell from several feet away, and took it on and decided I'd do the other dog next week, since he can come in any time and isnt really a client. I shaved this poor dog, who they tell me was 18 years old and I'm sure he felt better. Problem was once he legs were no longer matted together and he could move around better he started trying to bite me. Nooooo dog's comfort is worth a bite from 18 year old rotting teeth that would certainly send me to the hopsital for antibiotics. Sorry but I have to draw the line somewhere and EWWWW! NO thanks. I didn't want to stress the dog by restraining it or fighting with it so everything was done nice and slow and he seemed ok. I did the best I could for the little guys face but was unable to shave it or even really demat it. The best I could do was the cut the matts with scissors and scissor just as short as I could. I was able to free his eyes, not that it mattered much because he was blind anyway.
Well so it is decided no further hair cutting will take place, I've done all I can, and don't plan on charging much since I'm unable to complete the groom, but the dog can't go home smelling like that and so his body minus his head which is still a little matted should be bathed before the sisters come and pick him up. I make sure the water is warmed up, and as gently as I could lathered the dog up and started rinsing him and.... all of a sudden...
DEAD DOG! omg, Omg OMg OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I swear he just keeled over and went completely limp, laid flat out on his side, I wasn't even sure he was breathing. I was so shocked it took a second to react. When I recovered I started assessing him, checking for a pulse, poking him in the eye, trying to restrain myself from shaking him and yelling "wake up!" When it became clear he was obviously breathing, blinking and I had a heartbeat though it was weak and fluttery and obvioulsy irregular, we tried to stay calm and called the owners to say we were going to need to take him to the vet. Halfway through that thrirty second call the dog gets up, shakes himself off, coughs and seems fine. The sister we called wanted to wait (personaly I think she was hoping the dog would die.... ) and said she needed to call the other sister to see which clinic to take him to and what she wanted to do. More then 15 minutes pass before she calls back and provides the name of his regular vet that she says she will meet us at. I had towled off the dog and put him in his kennel to rest so we loaded him up in the car and off he went zooming to the clinic just as fast as possible since it was 4:30, rush hour, and the clinic closes at 5. Sheesh, I sat around the shop until 6:00 waiting. It was horriable. The only comfort I had was the fact they the dog seemed back to normal when it left and the signed release form that in a nutshell states that you cannot sue me and that I have a right to seek medical attention for your animal at your expense for any reason. Apparently the lady was a little upset-ish with us, in spite of the fact that it wasn't our fault, but we didn't have to pay the vet bill... nor do I agree that we should have(in this case). One of the questions you must answer yes or no to is does your dog have a history of siezure?? Which is what the dog had. I also ask about any medications, health issues, skin issues, the works. These people answered NO to every question and said he was fine, just old and matted and dirty. Hummp. Fine. According to the vet reccords he has a heart problem, which is why his heartbeat felt irreguar to me, has had seizures, and a host of other medical issues which were not disclosed to me. Methinks I could not have picked a better day to print those release forms and put them into use.

The vet did blood work and an exam and said the dog was fine and likely suffered a very mild siezure. Whew, thats a bit of a relief. Of course I didnt charge anything for the two hours of my time, but it was made clear that the dog, bless his heart, would need to be groomed at a vet in the future.

I went home and cried.... It had just been one of those weeks. Hopefuly next week is better.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ohh I feel for you WonderPup, I bet your heart skipped a beat when you thought he was dead! It's always the ones you try to help that cause the most problems, if you'd just said no we don't do walk-ins and not cared that the dog was a real mess you would have finished your day happy.

I dread this happening to me as our closest vet is 110km away and very often not available at all :eek: Never mind it all ended up OK and next week WILL be better :smile:

·
Registered
616 Posts
omg!! you poor thing, and worse the poor matted poo!! I guess you kind of knew in the back of your head you were going to need the medical papers!! PHEW!!!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what makes me the most angry about this poor dog is that the lady was more worried about how the dog looked than how comfortable it was. She wanted him to look like a poodle.... well ummmm NO! Duh, 18 years old is wayyy past the time when we have a right to decide the groom based on fashion instead of overall comfort. She actualy said the dog hadn't been groomed more often because he mother didn't like the way the last groomer did it, she shaved it all over head and ears uncluded.
Poor dog :(

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow...how awful for you and the poor dog! I guess you can say at least it happened to you and not with someone who would have really freaked out and may have accidentally hurt the poor guy!

My goodness...wanted him to look like a poodle, people are just the most unusual creatures in the world. Wonder if the poodle's older owner could be groomed into looking like a teenager again. :banghead:

·
Registered
912 Posts
what makes me the most angry about this poor dog is that the lady was more worried about how the dog looked than how comfortable it was. She wanted him to look like a poodle.... well ummmm NO! Duh, 18 years old is wayyy past the time when we have a right to decide the groom based on fashion instead of overall comfort. She actualy said the dog hadn't been groomed more often because he mother didn't like the way the last groomer did it, she shaved it all over head and ears uncluded.
Poor dog :(
I wonder if it was a matted mess that time too and the poor groomer had no option but to take it all off. People really are starting to annoy me the more dogs I see for grooming! They expect you to do miracles with their poor filthy matted dogs when they can't even brush and then leave the dog for months on end.

Why do people get these dogs when they are not prepared to put in the effort, some of them must just get shoved outside cause the state their in the owners couldn't surely have them inside on the furniture and having cuddles - some of them absolutely stink.

One of the grooming forums I'm on they talk about a sign which reads "God doesn't groom dogs and I don't perform miracles" - I think I need one of those!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Oh my goodness! I know how you feel, I get a lot of matted dogs.

I am always nervous when I get the oldies in because I know one day its going to happen and I'm going to have to make that call :phone:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blue Fox, I don't think people DO think before they get dogs like this, or for that matter dog's in general. Case in point, a guy was in the other day to wash his lab mix. He commented on what a shame it was that he was going right back out in the backyard and would be dirty again by the end of the day... He actualy said, " Wish you werent a dog, then you could come in the house, at least for a while, instead if going straight to the backyard to get dirty all over again". I had to bite my very opinionated tounge. Just kept thinking to meself, Leia shut up, shut up, shut, SHUT UP!

I am seriously considering adopting a no senior dog policy for new clients. If your dog comes in looking like it's on it's last leg then sorry, you can groom it yourself, or go back to whatever groomer you were using before you discovered me. It is something that I have considered before and have been thinking about for a while, this just seems to be a reason to actualy do it. I hate to be that way, but by my reasoning it's as much for the dog's own good as it is for mine. Why change groomers now? I already am pretty harsh about dogs with serious behavior problems. I just don't deal with agressive dogs, period. I can't. It's a huge liablility to have them in the shop since more than half of the shop is devoted to a self service facility and clients come in and out all day long a fair amount of them with kids. It isn't like going to a regular groomers. I shudder to think what could happen if such a dog somehow got away from me in the salon, or if a parent, as some parents tend to do, forgets to keep a close eye on their child and they approch a dog like that on my table or in a kennel before they can be stopped.

I've spent my whole day off going over and over the worst case possibles and trying to come up with plans and ways to cover myself, just in case.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wonder Pup, I'm wondering how you came up with your release form. Your post reminds me that I need to start using one of these as well!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YES, you do need to put a release form of some sort in use! :)
I wrote one after looking at what other people had and remembering the one that I've used working for other people/companies in the past. Mine has a questionaire on it that the customer fills out that asks you to answer yes or no to quetsions about siezures, allergies, skin problems, current medications, and behavior issues. At the bottom is a little paragraph that says we work hard to ensure your pet is safe and comfortable while in our facility but that grooming can sometimes revel or aggrivate health issues known or unknown. It also says that we can seek medical attention for your pet at your expense if illness or injury occures.
Barkliegh actualy sells a release form you can use, they have three different versions of it and mine is loosely based on thiers as well as others I have seen, but made specific to me. here is the link if your interested http://www.barkleigh.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=9

I am in the process of writting a matted pet release that makes clients own up to matting and hopefuly reduce arguements along the lines of "omg you shaved my dog!!!" upon pick up. The matted release explains what matts are, why they cannot be brushed out or bathed, the skin issues they can cause or conceal, and the fact that yes your dog might experience clipper irritation as a result of being shaved as close as we may have to. Of course there is the usual we will try not to hurt your dog, and we will do everything we can not to clipper burn your dog and your dog will recieve an oatmeal bath and deep skin/coat conditioner and that all this would cost you big. There is also a line at the very end that states in bold lettering that the owner is aware of the matting, understands the seriousness of the problems and possible health issues we may find, and agrees and grants permission for me to shave the coat off completely.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Late in the afternoon on Friday most groomer's worst nightmare walked in the door and wanted an appointment right away. Normaly I don't like to take walk ins and I really was booked buuuttt my last dog of the day belonged to the "other owner" of the shop and these ladies walked in with the most pathetic excuse for a dog I have ever laid eyes on. Wrapped up in a towel was a little five thousand year old toy poodle who was matted all over and his face..... whoa, I have never seen anything like that - ever. I can't even discribe it to you, GROSS! It's eyes were almost matted shut and It almost looked like it had dreadlocks that were coated at the ends with whatever food it eats. Mats with little brown decorations on it them I guess... ? I got the usual sob story about how the dog needed to be groomed right now and belonged to an elderly lady who didn't have hardly any family left... you get the idea. The ladies apparently were the daughters of the old lady. I felt sorry for the thing, which I could smell from several feet away, and took it on and decided I'd do the other dog next week, since he can come in any time and isnt really a client. I shaved this poor dog, who they tell me was 18 years old and I'm sure he felt better. Problem was once he legs were no longer matted together and he could move around better he started trying to bite me. Nooooo dog's comfort is worth a bite from 18 year old rotting teeth that would certainly send me to the hopsital for antibiotics. Sorry but I have to draw the line somewhere and EWWWW! NO thanks. I didn't want to stress the dog by restraining it or fighting with it so everything was done nice and slow and he seemed ok. I did the best I could for the little guys face but was unable to shave it or even really demat it. The best I could do was the cut the matts with scissors and scissor just as short as I could. I was able to free his eyes, not that it mattered much because he was blind anyway.
Well so it is decided no further hair cutting will take place, I've done all I can, and don't plan on charging much since I'm unable to complete the groom, but the dog can't go home smelling like that and so his body minus his head which is still a little matted should be bathed before the sisters come and pick him up. I make sure the water is warmed up, and as gently as I could lathered the dog up and started rinsing him and.... all of a sudden...
DEAD DOG! omg, Omg OMg OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I swear he just keeled over and went completely limp, laid flat out on his side, I wasn't even sure he was breathing. I was so shocked it took a second to react. When I recovered I started assessing him, checking for a pulse, poking him in the eye, trying to restrain myself from shaking him and yelling "wake up!" When it became clear he was obviously breathing, blinking and I had a heartbeat though it was weak and fluttery and obvioulsy irregular, we tried to stay calm and called the owners to say we were going to need to take him to the vet. Halfway through that thrirty second call the dog gets up, shakes himself off, coughs and seems fine. The sister we called wanted to wait (personaly I think she was hoping the dog would die.... ) and said she needed to call the other sister to see which clinic to take him to and what she wanted to do. More then 15 minutes pass before she calls back and provides the name of his regular vet that she says she will meet us at. I had towled off the dog and put him in his kennel to rest so we loaded him up in the car and off he went zooming to the clinic just as fast as possible since it was 4:30, rush hour, and the clinic closes at 5. Sheesh, I sat around the shop until 6:00 waiting. It was horriable. The only comfort I had was the fact they the dog seemed back to normal when it left and the signed release form that in a nutshell states that you cannot sue me and that I have a right to seek medical attention for your animal at your expense for any reason. Apparently the lady was a little upset-ish with us, in spite of the fact that it wasn't our fault, but we didn't have to pay the vet bill... nor do I agree that we should have(in this case). One of the questions you must answer yes or no to is does your dog have a history of siezure?? Which is what the dog had. I also ask about any medications, health issues, skin issues, the works. These people answered NO to every question and said he was fine, just old and matted and dirty. Hummp. Fine. According to the vet reccords he has a heart problem, which is why his heartbeat felt irreguar to me, has had seizures, and a host of other medical issues which were not disclosed to me. Methinks I could not have picked a better day to print those release forms and put them into use.

The vet did blood work and an exam and said the dog was fine and likely suffered a very mild siezure. Whew, thats a bit of a relief. Of course I didnt charge anything for the two hours of my time, but it was made clear that the dog, bless his heart, would need to be groomed at a vet in the future.

I went home and cried.... It had just been one of those weeks. Hopefuly next week is better.
oh you poor thing! those sisters should have broght him in sooner! i hope that's not how they care for their mother! whew! its hard typing with only my left hand!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Poor pup...I know it was hard on you but think of that poor dog! He had to go back home! :shot:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yikes!

Your tale of your day reminded me that my late poodle Shep was groomed by a mobile groomer less than a week before he passed away.

I had the mobile groomer come to our house since taking him to his regular groomer's shop would be too stressful for him in the end. He was weak and yet shaggy and messy and I didn't know how much longer he had.

He did well during the grooming and seemed happy from it.

He was a very attractive dog the night he passed on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts