Poodle Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes 2spoos4me I would say your 2 girls are most definitely blues they look like they will be light blues to. They look just like my girl Rayne and my boy Rhino did at that age both are light blues. Light blues clear to a beautiful color in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Yes, they are both blues and I agree they look like they will be fairly light blues, too. Blue is a very pretty color! You wouldn't see any difference in blackness between the face and body in a black. Jazz is a black and his shaved face is as black and shiny as his body (7 months here)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Black, blue, or bad black?

"Most black dogs get white hairs as they age. A black poodle is a bad black when it starts getting a lot of white hairs at a young age."

How do you define a lot of white hairs, how many and at what age? I looked up the definition of "bad black" and read the above. I don't know what that means.

Fritz is 9 months old and has some, less then 15, probably less then 10, on his lower back. Black or bad black?

Thanks for the clarification in advance.
Did you ever receive an answer to this? I'm curious because I have the identical situation with my 6 month old poodle. In addition to the few white hairs on her lower back, I found one white hair in her top knot. I have not noticed any white hairs between her paw pads.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Kalamama, if your standard has a great deal of Wycliffe breeding behind her, she is probably a "bad black". I see that you live in Alabama - if she goes back to my dogs (Jaylee and Britan) she is likely a bad black. I never was too concerned about blacks not being jet black since there are so many other aspects that are more important to me (temperament, health, and structure - in that order).

I have not lived in west Florida since 1988, but I suspect there are some standards in that area descended from the ones I bred.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Kalamama, if your dog goes back to Wycliffe breeding, she is probably not going to be inky black. I used to live north of Pensacola, FL and bred under the kennel names of Jaylee and Britan. All my dogs were either black or brown, and many were "bad black". I never was too concerned about that because my primary concerns were temperament, health, and structure - in that order.

Although I left Pensacola in 1988, I suspect there are spoos in the area that are descended from mine. If you happen to have one, I'd be glad to give you any info you might want.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts