Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I still don't totally understand the bad black versus the blue. Basically, I am trying to figure out which I have. Kala is out in the sun some, but not that much. She looks brown on all of her jacket hair unless you look at the roots(which are black). Everywhere else is still pretty black except for her muzzle which has white/gray flecks and looks to be graying more around the nose. Her pigment is black. Is there a definite way I can tell if she is a bad black? Would a pedigree help?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've had the same curiosity about Zulee. Not that it matters, but it would be nice as a poodle fanatic to know what color my poodle is. I've been waiting and watching her coat change by the month. Her legs are almost completely silver blue now. Her muzzle is lighter with silver and the hair above the eyes is changing. Her back looks black, but can have a gray shimmer depending on the light. She has had brown highlights ever since I got her.

She has silver guard hairs coming in on her back. Is it possible to have a grizzled blue? When does a grizzled black become grizzled? Does this happen with age rather than a coat clear?

Sorry Kalamama. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have the same questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Kalamama. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have the same questions.
Oh no, I don't care. I just hope there is a definite answer. Is gray a color or is that just a bad black?

I still want to show Kala once her coats is grown out enough but I am assuming I shouldn't show a bad black? I am afraid if the judge asked me her color and I said black, then he/she would put her at the bottom for sure. If I said blue and she is in the middle of changing colors that might sound better. I don't know if she is a blue though.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've posted this link before, which has some great color information on it. Hopefully it will help you determine what color your girl is :) OH, what color is her skin (like on her muzzle and face)?

http://arpeggiopoodles.tripod.com/

If I remember correctly, a black will have light skin and a blue will have greyish skin.

BFF, I think your's is a silver that is in the process of clearing. Pretty either way :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've posted this link before, which has some great color information on it. Hopefully it will help you determine what color your girl is :) OH, what color is her skin (like on her muzzle and face)?

http://arpeggiopoodles.tripod.com/

If I remember correctly, a black will have light skin and a blue will have greyish skin.

BFF, I think your's is a silver that is in the process of clearing. Pretty either way :)
Thanks Cameo. I did read that entire article this past weekend but I still don't know for definite because she has similarities to both a bad black and a blue. Her skin has a bluish tint but I thought all blacks had that as well. Maybe there is just no definite answer right now. I am impatient:)

·
Registered
494 Posts
KalaMama:

Black: All hairs are black from root to tip. Shaved face is black.

Blue: All hairs are the same shade of grey from root to tip. (Puppies are born black and their coat gradually changes to grey) Shaved face is grey.

Poodle in front is blue, poodle in back is black.

Blue poodle:

Bad Black: Most of the coat is black with many white hairs mixed in. From a distance, when you can't see the colour of the individual hairs, the dog looks grey. Shaved face is black.

Can't find a picture of this, sorry.

Most black dogs get white hairs as they age. A black poodle is a bad black when it starts getting a lot of white hairs at a young age.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.
:) I hope this helps.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Old Blue poodle:

If you ignore the greying around the muzzle, all the individual hairs are grey.

Old Black poodle:

Again, ignore the greying muzzle... look at the topknot, you can see white hairs mixed in with the black.

This would be a bad black if the dog was young.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Lots of great information. :D

I think Zulee is a bad black because she has black hair with lots of silver mixed in. Her legs and chest are completely silver/grey, so maybe she will have a phantom pattern when she is done clearing. Her muzzle has black hairs with lots of silver/grey mixed in. Her skin is very light silver or pink depending where you look. Silver on her back and pink belly. I don't shave her face close enough to see the skin. As a wee little pup it was black. She is the one on the left in the picture.

Course there is still the question about the brown highlights and why some of the black hairs are lightening over time. If she turns out to be silver that would be neat too. I just don't think her face is an indication of a real silver.

Maybe I just don't realize what a grizzled black is vs a maturing black getting gray hairs.

I do appreciate the examples. Maybe with a little more time, the mystery of Zulee's color will come clear to me.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My Dassin black bitch has truely jet black gums and roof of mouth. Only 1 of her sons has that trait. I am guessing that the other sons will be silver or blue. I really don't hate any color but I reaaly dislike bad blacks

·
Registered
276 Posts

My blue spoo @ 6 months...she is brown tinted all over and lots of black roots too as you describe your poodle to be. Lots of light gray/silver hairs throughout her face and paws too. Leg color is a lighter brownish color than the dark brown on her body. Also her face is a rather dark gray with an even lighter shade of gray at the muzzle...

My spoo is definitely blue...your sounds like it might be too?

·
Registered
478 Posts
My Allie is a "bad blue" from what I have been told by friend that shows dogs. She has brown tints, her legs have a lot of sparse white hairs mixed in, and she has some darker black spots. She is 9, and is definitely a blue. It could just be that you will have to wait to see how Kala clears.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts

ARPEGGIO POODLES

That link you provided really does describe blue properly. They are born apparently black, but with white hairs in the centre of their pads. They will photograph under flash as brown, and clear to a cracking deep black with blue tint.

Just discovered my toy is blue. Over the moon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was reading up a lot on this as well as Ollie has brown patches on his back and legs so I thought maybe he might turn blue. Now I def think he is a bad black as his muzzle is very black, and he is a mis-marked too and bad blacks often come from parents that are other colours or have other colours in their family tree!
I read somewhere that blue's can take up to 3 years to clear... and from the pictures I'd say she is a blue. Keep taking lots of pictures so you can keep a record of the colour change!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Catriona,

My girl is from a blue dam and black sire and there were blacks in the litter as well as blues known to be blue from the start. There were a couple that there was uncertainty about, mine being one of them. She stayed black until she was about 2 1/2 and then began to change. She is about 2 in my signature picture. She did get the reddish tinge when she was about 1 1/2 and I suspected then she wasn't going to hold black. I was also told by a breeder who breeds blues that they can take up to 5 years to clear and that is what has happened with my girl. She started to change dramatically when she turned 4 and now is almost 5. Her head/ears are still darker, but even they are starting to clear now as well. She will stay a dark blue, but a blue nevertheless. I had actually wanted a black, but have to say the dark blue has really grown on me and I would not hesitate to get a blue again. The attached picture is her earlier this summer, she is actually just a bit lighter now.

Eclipse

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
"Most black dogs get white hairs as they age. A black poodle is a bad black when it starts getting a lot of white hairs at a young age."

How do you define a lot of white hairs, how many and at what age? I looked up the definition of "bad black" and read the above. I don't know what that means.

Fritz is 9 months old and has some, less then 15, probably less then 10, on his lower back. Black or bad black?

Thanks for the clarification in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm assuming that Milo is a blue. He has silver hairs between his paws and more and more silver throughout his body as time goes, and sometimes it looks like he has brown tinged hair.
This is a picture of him from November last year (bigger version of avatar):

I've noticed though that he's getting some black guard hairs along his back lately. I have to try and get another picture of him soon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.