Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
<<Back to Old Fashion Hair Cut... Scissoring>>

Our fist poodle of the family (now almost 13 years old, she's such a sweet old lady) was hardly ever clipped using electric clippers- instead we usually cut her fur with scissors (very uneven though I'm sure).
I've been cutting my poodle, Ocsi for the past 4 years using mostly electric clippers... but with all the talk about "the art of scissoring" I figured I'd give my hand another try at it! ;)

Ocsi wasn't too happy about me taking these pictures, it was very windy on the rooftop, but hopefully between the wind, his black fur and my point and shoot camera all of you wonderful experienced groomers can give me some tips on areas I can improve my eye. I have the idea of how the cut should look (target was the "lamb cut" -I believe is the name).

I'll try not to be defensive and really look forward to your suggestions for improvements!!:pop2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
He's cute!!!! Really the best thing you can do is have the coat bathed & dried straight to get an even finish, curls are nigh impossible to scissor smooth & even!!! But it does look like a cute trim on him! :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks flyingduster- I used my "people" dryer on him- hence the curls :/
working on selecting a nice dryer, just can't make up my mind; there are 3 that I think I've settled on, and it would be great to have a big one (the stand kind) but I honestly don't have room for it in my 1 bedroom apt :(

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
You can still straighten fairly well with a human one, just you need to tuck it under your arm or in your belt or something so it's pointing forwards but you have your hands free to brush as you dry, if you keep the rest of him damp (spritz with water if he's drying too much) and make sure you only dry (by brushing straight with the air going over it) each lil area at a time before moving on to the next area. Not as good as a pro dryer, but still better than nothing!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
13, wow. He looks great!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
13, wow. He looks great!
no, my sister's dog is 13

Ocsi is the dog in the picture- he's my dog
Ocsi is 6 years old :)

but I groomed my sister's dog for a long time
You can still straighten fairly well with a human one, just you need to tuck it under your arm or in your belt or something so it's pointing forwards but you have your hands free to brush as you dry, if you keep the rest of him damp (spritz with water if he's drying too much) and make sure you only dry (by brushing straight with the air going over it) each lil area at a time before moving on to the next area. Not as good as a pro dryer, but still better than nothing!
thanks for the suggestion, I've used the professional dryers in a 'self wash' salon and it kicks my hairdryer's butt!
this morning it took me 50 minutes to blow dry Ocsi on the "high air" setting :(

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He IS cute! Very curly too - bet it's tough to get those curls out! If you're using a human hair dryer, try putting in on the groomer's third arm - it'll free up both your hands to comb/brush. Here's the link:http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=2404
thanks kanatadoggroomer! that would be a great help to have, especially if I had a grooming table :)
I usually groom Ocsi on top of his crate, using that as a grooming table :)
oh, and his fur is very dense!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wow - that looks like a very soft, soft coat. Like touching feathers, probably. I think it's a great job - LOVE the nail polish! The only thing I would probably do is have a tad more hair length on the legs to balance the dog. Give it a more proportional look - not much more hair - maybe 1/2" more? ? ? ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^yes! I totally agree on the legs
Fallie is growing her hair out for proper poodle lenghts, since I've had her (offically adopted Dec 28th!!)

I did not cut her fur on the whole legs, only blended the upper part

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Sparkle, you are smart for learning how to hand scissor. Work your dog in sections so your hands and dog don't get fatigued. Take your rump and rear legs ONLY on day 1. Look at these photos and take an imaginary marker and draw the outline MUCH CLOSER to the dog's body....the goal is to make him look shorter backed. You will actually scissor from the point of rump to slightly above the hock nice & short....1/4" length. That will make that hock and lower leg appear fuller. Work on getting the legs looking parallel and even by combing and brushing....scissor a little, brush another section, etc. If you only let your eyes look at the rear and dont get distracted by the body, head and front legs, you can get that section PERFECT. Work on the front assembly tomorrow. Take a lot of coat off thatn chest......get your dog looking shorter backed again. Brush and fluff the front & scissor parallel tubular front legs. Don't leave much fur on the chest between the front legs....the shorter you take it, the longer the front legs will appear to be. It might take you a full week to get a great cut.....try not to leave scissor marks on the fur....but you can erase or soften sharp scissoring lines with tbinning shears.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Basically you want the hair to be really short down the back of the back legs (to where it curves to come back 'out' to the hock), and the front of the chest. So when the dog stands side on, it looks, overall, shorter in length.

It is the short back/long legs that gives the poodle that elegant outline we love.

To lengthen the look of the legs, make sure it's really short under the chest & belly area, to make it look like the body sits a tad higher of the ground.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ocsi got another haircut this weekend (finally getting around to posting the pictures) after seeing (and taking photos from all angles) of the pup at the IKC show a few weekends ago I think I have a better idea of "fur shapes"

Let me know what you guys think of Ocsi's new look, I couldn't get a good picture of him standing up- the lighting was really bad :(

Also, see how Fallie's all ready for St. Patty's Day in Chicago- she said she doesn't want to miss them dying the river green!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts