Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 311 Posts

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poppy has finally got over the spaying event.
Nice to 'have her back'.
Off down the country retreat, which had been delayed - more chance of something catching her operation scar, as she races about the woodland.
She was dead excited to get there, but wasn't impressed with the storm damage.
Nor was I , had my work cut out.
Anyway, having to clear the fallen trees from the track, with help from a good friend, seeing Poppy happy was reward enough.
Plant Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Wood
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Twig Tree
Shoe Vertebrate Dog People in nature Carnivore
Jeans Dog Plant Dog breed Grass
Jeans Plant People in nature Natural landscape Carnivore
Plant People in nature Natural landscape Happy Tree
Plant Vertebrate People in nature Mammal Tree
Footwear Jeans Shoe Plant Dog
Jeans Trousers Plant Dog Dog breed
Jeans Plant Sky People in nature Dog

· Premium Member
16,005 Posts
Lovely to see - Poppy happy and trees cleared just in time for Spring!

Reactions: The Popster

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah she had a good day.
She really was a bit put out by the trees on the track, but then it was a bit of an adventure.
She did something pleasing too.
She was meant to be up the top of the track with 'mum' in the clearing / glade, whilst I got the tools out of the car which was parked on the lane at the bottom.
Suddenly I noticed her sitting by the car whilst I was getting chainsaw out the boot.
We discourage her from heading off down the track willy nilly, as she could go onto the lane, which does have some traffic.
I was just about to show her my displeasure that she had come down of her own accord, when I heard 'mum' blowing the dog whistle.
Something we use from time to time, but not daily.
The moment she heard it she turned tail and raced off back up the track, as quickly as she could, having to negotiate the fallen trees.
A not so good thing turned into a positive!:)

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back on track....?
Poppy's latest weigh in was.... 4.46kg.
Hmmmm.
She certainly has a ... more 'open' appetite since spaying.
She will eat tinned dog food, and is well in to her kibble dispensor now.
And of course she has missed out on energetic exercise for over 4 weeks.
There has been a bit more treating too, 'get well chocolates' if you like.

Though when she had her season , what with water retention and lack of exercise being on the lead for 4 weeks, she did reach 4.8kg, which fell away nicely once she was 'back on the run'.
But the post spaying 'bloat' might be more difficult to deal with ?
Hopefully not.
I'm sure being able to run, tussle and play will be he key.
And of course less food in her bowl.( the bigger key probably).
Oh, less treats ! ( A MASSIVE KEY)!

Treat training.
Once again I look back 30 odd years to our dog Kipper.
He didn't have a treat cupboard in the kitchen!
He maybe had a box of Bonio buscuits which got handed out now and then.
Sure he did have our scraps, in fact for years after we lost him I never ate the last corner of any sandwhich I ate, that was always Kipper's.
He was a well behaved dog, did the basics and was mostly trained sans treats.
Fast forward 30 years and it all seems to be about treat training.
I admit that with Poppy this method got really quick results, tempered with the fact that Poodles are smart and learn quickly.
But, everyone ( not all but nearly ), in the park is wondering around with a bag of treats.
So many are lockdown dogs, all staring out around the same time and into treat training.
So many dogs, including Poppy run over to dog owners, sit down and wait for a treat.
This is really bugging me now.
I think the problem is not just this treat training method, which has it's benefits and is not entirely a bad thing, it's the volume of dogs doing it all at the same time, because of the plethora of lockdown pups?
Anyway, might have to start a coversation about this with the regulars in the park.

Today is tricky - re treats.
Mum back in the office, so Poppy a little bit quizical about the situation - stuck with Monkey boy.
I wiped her paws after the muddy park, but obviously not to Mum's standard as she went in the bathroom and looked at the bath. Three times now.
To take her mind of things, as she then stood by Mum's home office chair - usually sits on her lap whilst she works in the morning for an hour or so - I gave her a chew to take her mind of it.
Happily she is now having a sleep on the sofa bed behind me.
When she wakes I'm going to give her a poor quality groom ( brush ).
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Water dog Fawn
Dog Organ Ear Dog breed Carnivore
Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog Companion dog
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Mammal Companion dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Gesture Companion dog
Dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore Ear
Dog Llama Alpaca Dog breed Working animal

· Premium Member
16,005 Posts
I instituted a "No treats from anyone but me, please!" rule for my Poppy because of her digestive issues. Mostly people have been very good, and because they know of her illness are particularly careful to comply. A hint that your Poppy is prone to digestive issues may help stop the excess hand outs!

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dream of Rusty sitting and standing still for grooms!

Wonderful pictures as per.

Rusty weighs 8kg!!!
That's very kind of you.
8Kg ?
I'm guessing that Rusty is a larger mini poo ?
Poppy is 15 inches at the shoulder.
Vet actually suggested 4kg shoiuld be her weight. ( Personally I think 4.3 is good ). ( But I'm no vet ).

When we got Poppy we met a couple of other Minis , and thought she would get as big as them, but she simply hasn't.

Rusty seems to carry it well though.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I instituted a "No treats from anyone but me, please!" rule for my Poppy because of her digestive issues. Mostly people have been very good, and because they know of her illness are particularly careful to comply. A hint that your Poppy is prone to digestive issues may help stop the excess hand outs!
Yup, think that might well be the plan:)
Mind you we are not always in the vicinity, but word will get round eventually.

· Premium Member
16,005 Posts
Freddy is under 12 inches at the shoulder and is 4 kilos and is spot on in terms of ribs, waist and tuck. Sophy, who is rather smaller, has often hit that without looking or feeling particularly overweight. Poppy is a shade under 12 inches and her optimum weight was always 4.25 kilos. 4 kilos at 15 inches seems on the low side to me.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Freddy is under 12 inches at the shoulder and is 4 kilos and is spot on in terms of ribs, waist and tuck. Sophy, who is rather smaller, has often hit that without looking or feeling particularly overweight. Poppy is a shade under 12 inches and her optimum weight was always 4.25 kilos. 4 kilos at 15 inches seems on the low side to me.
I thought so too, but I'm not a vet.
Poppy seemed stable at 4.3.
She appears to look 'shapely', not fat.
However there is no doubt she is more 'dog' like regarding appetite, or no longer 'fussy', since spay.
So have to keep an eye on it.
I will weigh her after she has had a poo - make myself feel better.:)

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From 4.46 to 7.4 kg?!
Brain fade!
Probably due to being left alone with Poppy as mum goes back to the office.
She had gone up to 7.46 kg a couple of days ago.
Tonight she weighed in at 7.21kg.
She has been given slightly less in her dinner bowl, and has been getting back to normal exercise in the park.

But she is a lot more of a 'scavenger' in the park, picking up far more 'rubbish', bits of plastic, fabric, and broken balls.
A couple of occassions she has eaten little bits, especially the remnants of balls.
Latex inners I think, if it;s a tennis ball, which is not good.
Had to proper 'growl' at her this evening.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Saw another post about 'talking dogs'.
'Training Buzzer', record a command or 'request', dog pushes button and the command or 'request' plays back.
Bit of fun, gives your dog a voice.
Ordered a couple of units.
Arrived 1 hr ago.... think I may have to limit use!
Poppy 'got it ' straight away, within minutes.
Given her verbal diarreah......:unsure:
Hmmmm.....

· Premium Member
16,005 Posts
That weight sounds a lot more sensible!

Let me guess: Treat, Play, Walk?!

1 - 20 of 311 Posts