Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today was the day I had my carpel tunnel surgery. The surgery part went fine. I even got to watch on the TV screen. :act-up: But the narcotics they gave me made me really sick as I was "recovering." Oh gosh, I felt awful. The aching hand is sore but the feeling nauseated and super crappy far over-shadowed it. But it's finally worn off mostly so I'm feeling better now and my hand is aching more. LOL. But it's tolerable for sure. They gave me an Rx for more narcotics. NO THANKS! OMG. Are you kidding me? If it hurts too much in a day or two, I'll have a shot of whiskey over some weird drugs. Or just an Ibuprofen, which I hardly ever take. But this pain is well...it's pain, but I've had worse and so have most people by this age. haha. I don't even know how people like that hydrocodone and get addicted. :ahhhhh::afraid:

Now the wait to see how my hand will work down the road. It's amazing. He said in 3 days I can go from this big, bulky bandage to a band aide. And in 10 days a follow-up.

If this goes well and stays well, I'll consider the left one but later. It's not as severe as this one was.

Is anyone else that sensitive to narcotics?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hey girl, so glad you got through your surgery! I have never taken narcotics. I'm terrified of drugs due to side effects. My mom was super sensitive and got sick from drugs with codeine, so I decided to try to avoid those drugs at all costs. I have gotten through minor-moderate surgeries with just Advil or nothing at all.

(((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Glad to hear it went well. You’re over the worst and it should just get easier.

I’m with you and those narcotics. I avoid them. If you need you can take a larger dose of ibuprofen for a short time ..... speak to your doctor about ibuprofen instead of narcotics. Never let the pain buildup because it’s easier to keep it under control if you catch it early. On the other hand if the pain level is tolerable there’s no reason to take pain medicine.

I hope your recovery is quick and smooth.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks girls. Ya know Skylar...the best thing that I love, love, love for all kinds of pain is ICE! Yep, good old fashion ice. And whiskey. LOL. J/K...no whiskey today. It is definitely, so far quite tolerable. That's so far anyhow. I don't know what happens after today. haha.

Oh, they just gave me the Rx in case I wanted it. I don't need to take it if I don't want to. The doc did mention Ibuprofen if I need it.

MF...It was smart of you not to take it. Sometimes we share light-weight genes I think. You could have been sensitive too like your mom. I sort of remember taking 1 Hydrocodone when I had my bout with a herniated disc. I don't remember being nauseous, but remember not liking the feeling. So I didn't take anymore. The anti-inflammatory I used was what really helped anyhow, not the narc. But I kind of forgot about that earlier today when they were giving me that. I wouldn't have had to have it either...but I didn't think. The anesthetic they put directly into my hand would have been enough to block the pain from the surgery. They put a tourniquet on, drain the blood, replace it with the anesthetic which burns like hell for a minute or two but that's it. And I wouldn't have gotten sick. Grrrrr. Oh well, if I get the left one done in the future, I'll remember for sure not to get any narcotic.

Anyhow, I can type, do all kinds of things...suppose to wiggle my fingers right away...helps with the inflammation.

Thanks for your feed back. :angel:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Oh I thought you would wait a few weeks but I guess its better to get it over and done with. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Yes I don't take pain pills either, maybe 1 or 2 day 1 even for my knee replacement I took some up to day 4 but not the prescribed amount. I find they really don't stop pain on me they just make me sleep. Anyway good is over with and hopefully you heal fast.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
The problem with filling prescriptions for narcotics that you don’t want and won’t use is you can’t just dump the pills in the trash or down the toilet. You have to find a program where you can take them for safe disposal. Some local police departments will take them and there may be places to mail them. One of the local hospitals has a sealed bin that you can slip them into but you pay 5$ to pay to park for a short time close enough to walk to the building with a bin. IOW it can be a pain in the butt disposing those drugs. I will never fill one of those prescriptions myself because I know I don’t like how I feel when I take them. I understand why you won’t fill it either.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I thought you would wait a few weeks but I guess its better to get it over and done with. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Yes I don't take pain pills either, maybe 1 or 2 day 1 even for my knee replacement I took some up to day 4 but not the prescribed amount. I find they really don't stop pain on me they just make me sleep. Anyway good is over with and hopefully you heal fast.
I waited a little bit...just enough time hurry up and get my pottery pots into the greenhouse so I can over winter the geraniums, do any other heavy work and I raced, put the patio furniture that I don't want left out away etc. So I'm pretty much ready for winter. In a little time I'll be able to do more but not the heavy stuff for quite a while I guess.

I found that too once a long time ago when I tried one or two hydrocodones...pain does not really go away. But the anti-inflammatory worked well. The doc had to try a few before he came on one that worked for me. You have to get to the source...the inflammation. Covering it up with narcotics is just not great. And that's what has gotten this world into such trouble.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I completely understand the avoiding narcotics!!!

Have you tried naproxen ? It's an NSAID like ibuprofen and sold over the counter at 225 mg here as Aleve. i personally find its a more effective anti inflammatory than ibuprofen and take it prescription at 500 mg 2x daily. Plus it lasts 12 hrs so better for overnight. My doctor has also told me I can take both acetominophin (Tylenol) and naproxen if I need extra pain relief but not two NSAIDs like ibuprofen with naproxen. You probably know this,but always take NSAIDs with food or milk, especially at higher dosages or longer term use.

As for narcotics disposal....can you not just return them to the pharmacy?

Hope your hand heals quickly.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't fill the prescription...knew already I did not want that since I was made so sick by the intravenous delivery. I don't need it. And the doc told me I could take Ibuprofen or Tylenol. I have used Naproxin in the past. But I prefer Ibuprofen, though I hardly ever take it. I try to avoid those things because they can cause bleeding internally...but mostly if taken too much. I think different things work better for different people maybe. Really...what helps me the most seems to be ice. And this is not excruciating pain...not pleasant mind you, not at all, but tolerable. It won't take but a short while I think till it feels better. (hopefully)

Thanks For want of poodle.:)

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
PB - I can totally hear you on some prescription meds - I take enough meds for my psychiatric disorder and I am afraid of drugs interacting with my psych meds. For pain, my go to, like MF, is Advil. Tear up that prescription. Otherwise, I think it is great that you are doing so well. Hard to imagine that the recovery time is so swift. ((HUGS))

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
At our hospital, I have myself listed as allergic to opioids. I think it was a couple of weeks of Demarol shots in my butt that did it. In pill form??? Whatever goes down will come back up within a few minutes.

I don't usually need a lot of meds for pain, but Toradol is what they prescribe for me... doctors and dentists.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks Asta's Mom. Yep, anti-depressant drugs and other depressant drugs do not mix. And yes, I don't need that awful stuff. I can tolerate a fair amount of pain actually. After a ruptured disc and chronic back and foot pain, this is a piece of cake. It hurts. But it's doable even without Advil. Ice and elevation works well.

Well, apparently, it can take 2 to 4 weeks to get pretty good use of my hand back but I can do light activities such as typing, cooking etc...just not lift more than 2 lbs for now. Some people take more months to get better and sometimes, even with surgery some of the numbness and/or pain may linger. But the doc is pretty confident that this will go well. So, we'll see. Time will tell. I get the sutures out in 10 days at my follow-up visit. The swelling is a little bit down this morning and I must remember to do my finger wiggling frequently throughout the day...keep things moving. I think I can take the poodles for a walk today and just use my left hand. There's another kind of instance where the toys are a good option. Light weight.

Thanks for your nice replay. :)

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CB, that's a good idea. I had a little texting session with my doc last night. He's sooo nice. And I told him I better have that in my chart that I can't have that stuff. It is scary. I guess you've had to experiment a little to find the right thing for you when absolutely necessary.

MF...thanks for asking. I think it's a wee bit less inflamed today...little less swollen. But still painful and I must be careful what I do with it. But I can wiggle my fingers as I'm suppose to, can type, can do regular stuff that's light work. Just not allowed to life more than 2 lbs. I can't lift my tea cup in that hand. It hurts a lot. So, maybe a paper plate with a piece of toast I can lift. Otherwise I use my left hand a lot. I'm thankfully somewhat ambidextrous. (probably from having played the piano since I was a kid)You get coordinated with your hands. Anyhow, there's pain but it's not as bad as yesterday. And of course, no more nausea, since the narcotic is out of my system. Thanks a bunch sweetie. :angel:

·
Premium Member
22,759 Posts
I am glad things went well and that you are managing even without major pain meds. I will be interested to follow your recovery and your decision as to whether to have your other wrist done. I should consider doing my right wrist (and maybe my left too).

I have paradoxical reactions to a number of drug classes including opioids which wake me up the way amphetamines do for most people. Benadryl also makes me wired. Most other sedatives also wake me up. When I had my tonsillectomy at age 10 I was still awake enough to want to walk into the OR despite an orderly telling me it was his job to carry me and then I counted backwards from 100 into the teens under the ether mask before I went under. Many years later I woke up from sodium pentathol in the middle of having all four wisdom teeth extracted. My father had the same general resistance to anaesthesia and sedation as does my older niece, so definitely a gene in there somewhere for us. Doctors who are aware of those reactions tell me to make sure that anyone who is going to do a sedated or anaesthetized procedure about these reactions.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
PB, I didn’t know you were having the surgery done so soon. I’m glad it’s over, though, and that the pain is not severe. After you saying they Gabe hydro coding IV it made sense to me why you got so sick. It’s not so bad orally as it takes a while to release it all, but getting it all in a minute is definitely overwhelming. I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I take ibuprofen for my arthritis when it flares up, but with my disability I have lots of bad pain. I have been taking oxycodone for probably 2 decades, but I still only take 3 a day. I’ve never felt a “high” from it and have never abused it. I don’t understand either how people like a strong feeling and then get addicted to it. All it does for/to me is really help with the pain. But it is different than hydrocodone: that never helped me either.

And for the whiskey , treat yourself after the dogs are walked and everything else is done, and have a shot or two. Why not? It did work in the old days for pain .

Hoping for, and looking forward to, reports that your recovery is going well, and the pain is less very soon.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts