Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a lot of fun Saturday and earned our AKC ACT 1 title.

We did very well considering we had never seen one of the jumps. We never used pause tables in class as part of training (my club does CPE and USDAA). When I decided to go I asked our trainers to add a pause table to our class which they did. She had that brief experience and I had a quick lesson on using deceleration to slow her down so she wouldn't slide off the table. Thank goodness for obedience and rally training because she was perfect on sitting down for the count.

It was a trickier course than I expected. Only three dogs qualified and we came in second consistently.

We also ran the ACT 2 course but Babykins refused to finish the teeter - she ran up to the pivot point and jumped off. Knowing her fears of the teeter and this was a strange building with a strange teeter to her I just continued the course with her.

As I did in Obedience, I set small goals that I was able to achieve so win or lose we were winners when we left the ring even when she refused the teeter and it disqualified us.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Congratulations on a super successful competition :)! Totally makes sense on the teeter totter. I wonder what Oliver would do with that device. He might jump off halfway and start trying to disassemble it LOL.

You and Babykins are such a lovely team :).

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Streetcar

I often wonder what Babykins wishes she could do to that teeter. I might have gotten her over it with treats but none were allowed.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Well Done! I like your idea of goal setting! Babykins and you will always be successful and have fun, and that is what is important!

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I find setting reasonable small goals is helping me focus on things I need to do and I don’t have to worry about qualifying. As llong as I achieved my goals we can leave the ring happy.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Wow congratulations!!! Very admirable that you were able to accomplish things that you hadn’t previously worked on! I need to look up all of the AKC titles. I don’t know what they all are or what they stand for. Will need to know this stuff for when we branch into other dog sports.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chin.

Click I’m glad that having one goal helped you too. There’s too many moving parts in these competitions and my memory just can’t hold all of them.

Mufar42, agility is a lot of fun both for the handler and the dog as you run around the ring.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Congratulations. Setting discrete goals in training and in early trials always sets you on the path to success going forward.

Reactions: Skylar
1 - 10 of 10 Posts