Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just need one more qualification for that shiny title ribbon.

I was thrilled that we qualified this weekend, but I’m even happier that I like how I handled her in the ring. I’m good at entering the ring with my dog’s attention and looking at her, not the judge. But in the past I’ve been so scared to talk that I don’t say anything. This weekend I made it my task to speak to her in between exercise, praise her, be upbeat and pet her. I did all three and she was a joy to move around the ring from one position to the next heeling. I got snappy getting into heel position at every start line.

I did lose points because I started to praise her after the exercise was finished....almost finished, the judge had just started to say exercise finished so I got dinged an extra command. I don’t care because we still qualified and my dog was happy.

So now I’m looking for another show in reasonable driving distance. We need one more leg for Novice Obedience and one more leg for Novice Rally so maybe I can find a show with both.

·
Premium Member
24,032 Posts
That is splendid! I don't get nervous these days in a way that I obviously feel, but since sometimes Javelin up stresses I guess I have some level of energy that he reads. I also have the benefit of knowing most of the judges I show to at least mildly to perhaps very well which helps me listen to them as their voices are familiar to me. As you continue you will get that familiarity too. I bet that will help you to control the nerves that opened your mouth just a hair too soon before exercise finished from the judge.

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are right. In our short career I do see positive improvements. We have that Brenda Reimer seminar this summer which will help too.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Wooo hooo!!!Congrats! It sounds like you really made leaps and bounds Skylar and Babykins. My goodness. You've just about got it nailed. I'm really happy for you. It just goes to show that not only the experience causes improvement, but the confidence that goes along with that also increases the positive way you handle your dog. Well done! :congrats::first:

·
Premium Member
9,997 Posts
Very impressive! I love that Babykins was so happy. If it’s not fun for the dog, there’s no point. You two are bound for lots more shiny ribbons and fun times together getting them. Congratulations!

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Poodlebeguiled I try to set some small goals to achieve when we go into the ring each time and improved handling was it this weekend.

Thanks Click. I can’t wait to finally add that CD title to her name.

Reactions: Poodlebeguiled

·
Premium Member
24,032 Posts
You will find that Brenda seminar very useful for helping you to really look at your feelings and how to manage stress and anxiety issues. I am glad you have that opportunity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts