Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor baby Nicholas has been tentatively labeled "Failure to Thrive" :arrogant (2): we went this past Friday for his 4 mo check up and shots and he had only gained a pound in the past 8 weeks. He should have gained double that as a minimum I suppose. Anyway we've been struggling the past month on and off again with the whole nursing thing and supplements. One week is good, the next not as good.
The doctor says we have to come back in two weeks (July 2) for a weight check and then we go from there. Where we go I dunno. We are toying with the idea of intro'ing solid earlier than planned because that is what my mother did with me when I had the same issue Nicholas with lack of weight gain.The difference between me as a baby and Nicholas though is that I had those issues in spite of being formula fed, where as Nicholas is breastfed. The doctor says we need to find out if he really is not getting enough, which might be the case or if he isn't using what he takes in correctly which might also be the case and what if any effect it is having on his development.

So I'm finished crying about it (for tonight anyway) and found humor in this video of my teeny tiny sickly failure to thrive baby who shouldn't be on target developmentally but is and in some cases is ahead of some babies in a thing or two. Not far ahead, Not claiming him to be some super advance baby or anything but he does things a lot of his formula fed counterparts cannot. I am a member of a mommy forum specificly for mommies who's babies were due in Feb of this year. We all went through pregnancy together and now are experiencing motherhood together.

So anyway here he is poor little Nicholas moving and a shaking (and refusing to eat before bed)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
He is so sweet. It makes me miss having a baby around. I hope he turns a corner soon and just starts gaining weight like mad.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
what a perfect little man. he's very active! that's my fav ages with babies .. when they smile kick and roll and start scooting. how sweet!

so are you nursing on demand? giving him he booby whenever he wants? i never did a schedule w/ any of my kids, just let them nurse whenever they wanted and they did fine.

anyway, he may be a busy baby and will hit a growth spurt. give it a few weeks. you can start babies on human food at 6 months anyway to help supplement the nursing.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what a perfect little man. he's very active! that's my fav ages with babies .. when they smile kick and roll and start scooting. how sweet!

so are you nursing on demand? giving him he booby whenever he wants? i never did a schedule w/ any of my kids, just let them nurse whenever they wanted and they did fine.

anyway, he may be a busy baby and will hit a growth spurt. give it a few weeks. you can start babies on human food at 6 months anyway to help supplement the nursing.
I nurse every two hours, which is pretty much on demand. If he hasn't demanded yet I encourage him to go ahead and eat. He sleeps through the night though, about 12 hours and there is NO waking him to eat at that point, not even for a bottle. Sooooo, I have alarms set on my cell phone to go off every 2 1/2 hours so that I can pump. Super fun... ummm no wait, I'd rather sleep but whatever. My supply for reasons unknown dropped to almost 0 with no warning or apparent reason. The only thing we can figure is that perhaps certain systems are coming back online (and I'll let you figure out which system that is) after delivery and could be getting in the way. I had hoped to delay that for several more months but Oh well, mother nature decided to pick on me.

Everyday I eat oatmeal with brewers yeast (yuck) mixed in, drink soymilk with flax seed meal for breakfast. Drink only water throughout the day. Try and eat at some mid point int he day even if it is just to snack on fruit and when I have time I make something bigger. No dairy, no salt, no caffeine. Taking my prenatals still, and taking fenurgreek 4 of them three times. I am going to the healthfood store later this week to see about adding Marshmellow root, Alfalfa, and maybe blessed thistle to the mix. The next step is to try and get my hands on Doperdrone I think it's called?? I can order it without a script from Cananda and with a perscription in the U.S. apparently but I am not sure I am willing to go that far to build my supply back up.
Nicholas gets supplemental bottles once or twice during the day to make sure his intake is where it should be. I am thinking of renting a baby scale from the lactation consultant that is super sensative and can tell you exactly how much the baby has eaten after a feeding session. Sounds fun...
I am super obsessive now about my milk supply, his weight, and the number of dirty diapers. He went three times on Monday after not having gone for a little over a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts