6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
these are Chickadees on an icy tree off my deck

IMG_7697 (2000x1334).jpg

It is bitter out, it took my car 20 minutes to warm up

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
For sure! It is all of 9*F here on Long Island and the wind chill is below 0. Not liking it at all, but at least I am warmer than the chickadees.

Did anybody brave the cold last night to see the lunar eclipse? It was quite a thing to see.

·
Premium Member
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no I missed the lunar eclipse, way to cold for me, well my lungs. Lost power this morning for about 45 minutes thankfully it came back on.

·
Registered
420 Posts
For sure! It is all of 9*F here on Long Island and the wind chill is below 0. Not liking it at all, but at least I am warmer than the chickadees.

Did anybody brave the cold last night to see the lunar eclipse? It was quite a thing to see.
Yes! We all went out and had a moon viewing party with the neighbours, sharing various small telescopes.even Baby William who was passed around like a soft furry football in his snuggly snowsuit. This is quite a good Dark Sky area, so great views over the mountains. Revelstoke BC might get 3+ meters (close to 32 feet) of snow in a season , but it is usually only -5 degrees C in the evening. (That's 23 degrees Fahrenheit) it does get colder, but that is the average

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes! We all went out and had a moon viewing party with the neighbours, sharing various small telescopes.even Baby William who was passed around like a soft furry football in his snuggly snowsuit. This is quite a good Dark Sky area, so great views over the mountains. Revelstoke BC might get 3+ meters (close to 32 feet) of snow in a season , but it is usually only -5 degrees C in the evening. (That's 23 degrees Fahrenheit) it does get colder, but that is the average

We banished all of the dogs to the inside of Jen's house because they kept charging around and endangering the telescopes. Wolf is even bigger than Charlie at over 85 pounds

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
I went out and saw the eclipse. We had beautiful clear sky in Chicago. I went out, marveled at it, then ran back inside to warm up, over and over. We just finished cleaning out the snow. It's supposed to be wintery mix tomorrow afternoon. Then it's back into the deep freeze.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Today was the first day it was in the negatives (before the wind chill) where I am in Wisconsin. I don't mind the snow, but the cold is just awful.

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Last night was 35 degrees which is cold to me, but we went out to see the eclipse - awesome! The view was great right off our front porch, but then we live in the county, about 30 minutes away from town.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I hate this deep freeze. Babykins won't go to the bathroom. We cleared off a large grassy knoll for her and we're taking her out often, but the little stinker won't go to the bathroom. She held her pee until 5 pm - finally she peed on the grassy knoll.

Then we had class tonight and she was so distracted. We were working proofing with the dumbbell that normally she loves. She just ignored her dumbbell so I took her outside and walked her up and down outside the dog club till she finally had a huge poop and another pee. I feel like I had to drag it out of her.

I can't wait till the weather warms up a little so Babykins can get back to her normal potty habits.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Skylar I have similar issues with Lily and so does my mom with her mpoo. They would rather wait out bad weather than go when given the chance.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Skylar I have similar issues with Lily and so does my mom with her mpoo. They would rather wait out bad weather than go when given the chance.
Yes, some people in class were complaining they had problems too. I do appreciate hearing that you have similar problem with Lily and your mom's minipoo. It's so annoying. We didn't get her normal morning poop yet although she did pee.

Thankfully it's warming up and hopefully the snow will melt so she' has access to some nice dog smelling grass.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I do not miss those cold temperatures at all, now when we get down to 30 degree F I freeze. We had two nights and last night it stayed in the 40's and will hit 69 today with sunshine. I can't wait.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
It was so bad when Lily was young that she wouldn't pee in the rain that I had to take her out on leash and give her potty command to get her to go. If I didn't she would sneak to the basement and pee there.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
LOL MY shih tzu were like that. The chihuahua will hold it, the cairn we have to hold an umbrella over her or she won't go and we have to command her. The boxer also needs the command or he does not like to get wet. Renn on the other hand would be happy to walk in the rain and doesn't seem to care. I have a feeling though that may change. LOL

·
Registered
331 Posts
It finally stopped raining in Northern California. All last week my minipoo puppy was refusing to go potty in her regular area that had turned into a muddy lake nor did she want to go in the relatively dry but virgin spot on the other side of the house.
I thought I was going to go nuts with all the futile getting up and going out. Finally the call of nature won and Mimi learned to be more flexible.
Meanwhile it’s 48F and I’m freezing but feeling like a big California wuss after reading posts above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
It was so bad when Lily was young that she wouldn't pee in the rain that I had to take her out on leash and give her potty command to get her to go. If I didn't she would sneak to the basement and pee there.
Thankfully we’re not having any accidents in the house, she’s just holding everything in. Potty on command doesn’t help either since she starts to bend her head down to the ground to do her normal potty sniff routine, nothing to smell then decides potty on command was just a suggestion she can ignore.

I guess I can’t complain too much because we don’t have a problem with potty in the rain and it rains far more often than we have snow covering the grass. Like Renn, Babykins could care less if she gets soaking wet.

Oh Doditwo, with temperatures and a wind chill making it feel like below zero temperatures, I do agree, California wuss does fit. Haha

Reactions: doditwo

·
Registered
596 Posts
so in the minority here I see - but I LOVE the cold. I am pretty lucky that the poodle Kid loves it too! Even though he was born in New Orleans the cold doesn't seem to affect him at all. We had -4F here this morning! My husband is a different story he was quite miserable. Of course for the 10 minute outing it took us half an hour to get dressed - the Poodle alone takes 15 minutes!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Aww your pup comes from New Orleans? Thats where I am , its been cold here too, though probably would feel warm to you.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
We wrapped the tropical plants, as we are expecting an overnight freeze. I feel badly for some of the plants and trees that have been tricked into thinking it’s Spring and are blossoming. I am eternally grateful that Buck is such a sport in the rain. Thunder, lightening, bring it on. He will be invigorated with the chill tomorrow, while I will be in layers. If you are a dog owner, you really need all weather gear, climate appropriate. I have three levels of raincoats including flood:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts