Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being a non-registered "lurker" here for sometime, I'm hopping on as an official poodle mom.

Today is Bennie's first full day with us (she is 8 weeks old and we picked her up yesterday afternoon).

Already my eyes are being open to the reality of puppy training with three young human kids in tow 馃槣. Let's just say that I'm getting how naive I was to think that Zac George videos and the like could ever represent my life with a dog. It is the weekend, so I'm sure that I'll have some success when the kids are in school and we have less distractions.

So far, I'm quite smitten with her sweetness and love of cuddling.

I'm a bit perplexed about getting her accustomed to the crate (throwing treats in, a stuffed kong, and even a blanket with litter-mates' and mom's scent and she still looks at me like I'm insane for trying). Again, all of the videos I watched made it seem relatively simple. And thus, she spent her first night with me on a mattress in the living room NEXT to her crate. It's a big change for an 8 week old-- leaving everything she knows to live with five strangers. Patience will be my mantra.

I'll gladly accept any and all tips and tricks any of you have for helping a wee fur baby adjust to a new bustling family.

I'm looking forward to continuing to use this space as a resource! Lovely to meet you all here.
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Ear

Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
Bennie is going to love it there! When I started with Elroy, I had to sleep with my head next to his face (he was in the crate, I was out) and hum a tune to him in order to get him settled to go to sleep. After he was asleep, I'd go to sleep nearby on the couch. If your crate is in the bedroom, then you can sleep in your bed.
This was way back when! 6 months ago (haha!)! Elroy never took a favor to being in his crate. He's not afraid of it, and will go in and out to get toys and eat food puzzles, but he doesn't choose to stay in there, and never sleeps in there. He will go in and settle if I need him to, but it's not a choice he would make.
Congratulations on your new baby! He reminds me of Elroy when he first came home!

Premium Member
Congratulations - what a darling puppy! You may have already read this article - I found it very helpful: Kidnapped From Planet Dog - Whole Dog Journal I have fewer challenges than you with my little Freddy, now 12 weeks old and home for a whole 8 days, as I live alone and the other animals don't particularly want to play with him, but what he has really taught me is just how much sleep puppies need. When tired he starts nipping and snatching and getting utterly beyond himself, once in bed with a chew toy in a quiet spot where he can see we are still close by he is asleep in minutes, and as long as he is not disturbed will sleep for 1-2 hours. Benny is even younger, so will need even more sleep. Perhaps the children could read to him, or sing him a lullaby, staying close to his crate to keep him company while he goes to sleep and then tiptoe away to play where they won't disturb him?

Premium Member
Welcome to PF and congratulations on your sweet pup Bennie!

Reactions: BennieJets

Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
She's adorable! I hope the many trainers and puppy owners here will have useful advice for you. Welcome and congratulations!

Registered
Welcome Bennie! She is so cute and reminds me of Oona when we brought her home almost exactly a year ago! As for the crate, she will get used to it if you keep it up and make it a positive place during the day. Sleeping by the crate the first few nights is a good idea. I kept Oona in a small crate next to our bed until she outgrew the one that fit in our small bedroom, that way I could talk to her and reach a finger for her to lick if she cried. When I moved her downstairs to the big crate, I slept on the couch for the first couple of nights to keep her company.

Registered
Yep, put crate next to your bed. Take her outside first for a run around, then let her settle inside before popping her in the crate. This gives you time to get yourself ready for bed. If your kids are old enough, and especially if she is supposed to belong to one of the children, move the crate next to the child's bed. You can even rotate every week.

I wouldn't put treats in the crate at bedtime. However, it might help to put her food dish in the crate so she becomes comfortable with the idea.

Premium Member
Hi and Welcome to you, Bennie (oh, those eyes!), and your family!

It's early, early days, so don't be hard on yourself. I cheated and brought two brothers home, so we skipped a portion of the "stranger in a strange land" (definitely NOT recommended for most).

Are you using the crate only for sleeping and will she be sleeping away from any human, completely on her own? Do you have an expen+crate set up also for daytime, in the living area? That helps build the idea of her own space, where she can retreat. The kids will need to know that the pen is her quiet place and let her be if/when she goes in.

If you're flexible, I really would suggest keeping her in your bedroom at night, right by the bed so you can comfort her easily, and know when she needs to go out, or is ill. This is the time to build trust so she knows there is still someone that she can rely on to protect her.

If that's not an option, then, yes, someone should be camping out with her for at least the first few nights. After a while, and you've gotten a sense for when she needs what, you can stay with her til she falls asleep then come back at those times before she starts crying for help.

Have you read thru the Dunbar books? JIC you haven't, I'll link to an excellent resource, compiled by Liz, and not just good for Pandemic Puppies :). I'm also going to link to Search results for the topic of crate training.

(9) Pandemic Puppy Primer | Poodle Forum

(9) Search results for query: crate+training | Poodle Forum

You'll get there, just maybe not the way you thought :).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bennie is going to love it there! When I started with Elroy, I had to sleep with my head next to his face (he was in the crate, I was out) and hum a tune to him in order to get him settled to go to sleep. After he was asleep, I'd go to sleep nearby on the couch. If your crate is in the bedroom, then you can sleep in your bed.
This was way back when! 6 months ago (haha!)! Elroy never took a favor to being in his crate. He's not afraid of it, and will go in and out to get toys and eat food puzzles, but he doesn't choose to stay in there, and never sleeps in there. He will go in and settle if I need him to, but it's not a choice he would make.
Congratulations on your new baby! He reminds me of Elroy when he first came home!
Oh my goodness what a gorgeous boy. Would you believe that I wasn't really a dog person before all of this? I liked them well enough, but I hadn't realized how brilliant they are and how much they can really be trained to be one of the family. I love seeing how much love you have for your boy, and I look forward to seeing more posts and picks of him!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congratulations - what a darling puppy! You may have already read this article - I found it very helpful: Kidnapped From Planet Dog - Whole Dog Journal I have fewer challenges than you with my little Freddy, now 12 weeks old and home for a whole 8 days, as I live alone and the other animals don't particularly want to play with him, but what he has really taught me is just how much sleep puppies need. When tired he starts nipping and snatching and getting utterly beyond himself, once in bed with a chew toy in a quiet spot where he can see we are still close by he is asleep in minutes, and as long as he is not disturbed will sleep for 1-2 hours. Benny is even younger, so will need even more sleep. Perhaps the children could read to him, or sing him a lullaby, staying close to his crate to keep him company while he goes to sleep and then tiptoe away to play where they won't disturb him?
It's so good to just continue to see the world through her eyes-- a strange planet she is on indeed! I mean, I feel that way and I'm a human 馃槣 I've been reading some of your Freddy journals since beginning to lurk. And I love how much your whole crew adapts and adjusts to one another so beautifully. I wish that for Bennie and us (and so far it seems to be coming true!)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to PF and congratulations on your sweet pup Bennie!
Thanks! It seems like a great space that's been built here! I'm not a social media user-- too much drama and not enough accountability for my liking. But this seems to be a lovely space of sharing and respectful communication with lots of varying opinions and experiences.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome Bennie! She is so cute and reminds me of Oona when we brought her home almost exactly a year ago! As for the crate, she will get used to it if you keep it up and make it a positive place during the day. Sleeping by the crate the first few nights is a good idea. I kept Oona in a small crate next to our bed until she outgrew the one that fit in our small bedroom, that way I could talk to her and reach a finger for her to lick if she cried. When I moved her downstairs to the big crate, I slept on the couch for the first couple of nights to keep her company.
Thank you :) Yesterday afternoon and last night went so well!

I can't have her in the bedroom-- it's hard to describe but the configuration and space just don't work. Plus my partner is technically allergic. He's okay with her in the house, but I figure having the bedroom be animal free is a good bet. At least for now. Plus I work from home but he doesn't, so it's better if I deal with any late night fur-baby stuff in another space. In any case, we've turned a corner! I've been sleeping in the living room with her as she adapts and last night went really quite well. Once I trust she can handle being alone, I'll use a baby monitor. I don't mind living room camping 馃槣.

I'll have to check out some Oona pics!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, put crate next to your bed. Take her outside first for a run around, then let her settle inside before popping her in the crate. This gives you time to get yourself ready for bed. If your kids are old enough, and especially if she is supposed to belong to one of the children, move the crate next to the child's bed. You can even rotate every week.

I wouldn't put treats in the crate at bedtime. However, it might help to put her food dish in the crate so she becomes comfortable with the idea.
Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to give the food in the crate a go once she starts eating a bit more. She's been a tad finicky since coming home. Eating some, but distractedly and coming and going. Actually.... perhaps crating her while feeding would help that!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi and Welcome to you, Bennie (oh, those eyes!), and your family!

It's early, early days, so don't be hard on yourself. I cheated and brought two brothers home, so we skipped a portion of the "stranger in a strange land" (definitely NOT recommended for most).

Are you using the crate only for sleeping and will she be sleeping away from any human, completely on her own? Do you have an expen+crate set up also for daytime, in the living area? That helps build the idea of her own space, where she can retreat. The kids will need to know that the pen is her quiet place and let her be if/when she goes in.

If you're flexible, I really would suggest keeping her in your bedroom at night, right by the bed so you can comfort her easily, and know when she needs to go out, or is ill. This is the time to build trust so she knows there is still someone that she can rely on to protect her.

If that's not an option, then, yes, someone should be camping out with her for at least the first few nights. After a while, and you've gotten a sense for when she needs what, you can stay with her til she falls asleep then come back at those times before she starts crying for help.

Have you read thru the Dunbar books? JIC you haven't, I'll link to an excellent resource, compiled by Liz, and not just good for Pandemic Puppies :). I'm also going to link to Search results for the topic of crate training.

(9) Pandemic Puppy Primer | Poodle Forum

(9) Search results for query: crate+training | Poodle Forum

You'll get there, just maybe not the way you thought :).
Thank you so much!
We don't have the space for an ex-pen. But I do have her on leash while she's out, so she's with me and I've got an eye on her. We're on the second full day of being home and zero accidents thus far! She's so smart.

Training the kids has felt harder than training the pup! 馃槀

I can't have her in the room (space and other reasons). But I am committed to sleeping in the living room for as long as she needs. I'll have a baby monitor after that. And down the road, I do hope to be able to renovate and have a bigger bedroom space that works for us all.... long term goals.

I love the suggestion of coming back at the times pre-emptively (when I am no longer sleeping in the living room with her)! That's really brilliant.

Thank you kindly for the linked resources! I'll read through! I'm grateful to be able to be starting as I mean to go on... she's a pandemic pup I suppose, but I work from home so everything we're doing is setting her up for long term living situation.

Registered
Thanks! It seems like a great space that's been built here! I'm not a social media user-- too much drama and not enough accountability for my liking. But this seems to be a lovely space of sharing and respectful communication with lots of varying opinions and experiences.
I鈥檓 not a social media user at all and lurked a long time before I decided to join. Welcome ! It really is a great space. 馃槉 Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with your sweet Benny and seeing lots of pictures.

Registered
Oh, in regards to your partner and allergies.

Have you given Bennie a bath yet at home? You could probably do this in the kitchen sink for now as he's still probably a manageable size.

I say this because they don't necessarily come home clean-clean allergy wise from the breeder. That was our case with Basil. You can imagine there's a lot going on the week puppies are going home. So, little Bennie probably needs a good scrub down to be squeaky clean. If you hit his coat 2x with soap then that will probably be good. (Rinse, soap, rinse, soap, rinse, dry).

You don't need to use a tear free puppy soap & conditioner, but just be extra careful around the eyes. Basil's 1yr 4 mo old and I use the Burt's bees puppy soap and conditioner on her just for peace of mind.

Keep in mind he's probably going to be exhausted after, I look at baths like an "event". It's a good bonding experience too. But yeah, puppys first bath with mom. It needs to happen sooner rather then later.

There have been many threads on poodles and allergies. Hypoallergenic is the main selling point with poodles, so we'll help you navigate that. My whole family has allergies, so when it came to finally getting a poodle that argument became invalid.

There's a bit of a transition period where his body's getting use to the poodle. Tell him to do basic stuff like wash his hands after touching puppy, and don't rub his eyes after touching puppy. Basic stuff, but it will get better.

Premium Member
Welcome to you and Bennie. Glad that you are with us after lurking. This is a great community of poodle lovers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, in regards to your partner and allergies.

Have you given Bennie a bath yet at home? You could probably do this in the kitchen sink for now as he's still probably a manageable size.

I say this because they don't necessarily come home clean-clean allergy wise from the breeder. That was our case with Basil. You can imagine there's a lot going on the week puppies are going home. So, little Bennie probably needs a good scrub down to be squeaky clean. If you hit his coat 2x with soap then that will probably be good. (Rinse, soap, rinse, soap, rinse, dry).

You don't need to use a tear free puppy soap & conditioner, but just be extra careful around the eyes. Basil's 1yr 4 mo old and I use the Burt's bees puppy soap and conditioner on her just for peace of mind.

Keep in mind he's probably going to be exhausted after, I look at baths like an "event". It's a good bonding experience too. But yeah, puppys first bath with mom. It needs to happen sooner rather then later.

There have been many threads on poodles and allergies. Hypoallergenic is the main selling point with poodles, so we'll help you navigate that. My whole family has allergies, so when it came to finally getting a poodle that argument became invalid.

There's a bit of a transition period where his body's getting use to the poodle. Tell him to do basic stuff like wash his hands after touching puppy, and don't rub his eyes after touching puppy. Basic stuff, but it will get better.
This is great advice, @Basil_the_Spoo thank you! I actually can't wait to bathe her! What you said about the breeder being busy was likely right because while she doesn't smell strongly, she definitely has a bit of a stinky pooch smell right now 馃槣

My partner's allergies haven't acted up yet! So fingers crossed a good bath maintenance and him being mindful of not petting her and rubbing his eyes will keep us in the clear!

Super Moderator
I bathed my spoo puppies in the kitchen sink and dried them with a hair dryer set to low or medium when they were still small enough to fit. By the time they had outgrown the sink they were old enough to go to a professional groomer for their first puppy spa day.

Like you, I slept on the couch near or with them while they got used to the household. I found getting them into a routine really helped. Since I'm working from home due to Covid, I set up crates and x-pens near my desk. After breakfast and a morning outing my two most recent puppies got popped into their enclosure while I worked. Every couple of hours I would wake them up, take them out to pee/play/snack, and put them back in the enclosure. They got used to hanging out in the enclosure, napping, while I did boring computer work. Then it was less of a trauma to get them to sleep in the enclosure at night. They were already used to the idea of hanging out and going to sleep there during the day. I was lucky in that my house layout is such that the puppies could see into the bedroom from their enclosure even when I wasn't letting them sleep in the bedroom. They knew where I was and could monitor me once I started sleeping in my own bed again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts