Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Jessie! We just cut the quick on one of her hind nails. Luckily it wasn't a deep cut, she didn't scream, and I had already read this forum and knew about the corn starch trick. The bleeding stopped after corn starch and pressure.

Two questions:

1. It's 3pm now. I usually walk her 3x per day at roughly 7am, 1pm, and 7pm. Is it worth trying for our 7pm walk in 4 hours, or should I automatically skip?

2. Her paw looks ready for Halloween with the leftover blood and cornstarch on her fur. We already tried letting her clean it once and of course it bled again (another rookie mistake). What is the cleaning procedure after using the powder and pressure to get the bleeding to stop?

Needless to say some syptic powder is on it's way to us from Amazon!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
I find the bleeding stops pretty quickly, if it is just a nick. I would walk her as usual, and just let the gore rub off naturally.

·
Premium Member
22,144 Posts
I agree with fjm. At least start the walk and turn around early if you think you need to. Don't worry about the cornstarch. It will wear off on its own.

I also just hate it when I do that, but at least you have light nails. You will get better at it. All our dogs' nails are black, so no help there.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'd also let it wear off, but I would have skipped the evening walk.

The Dremel has been a lifesaver for me. I quicked Frosty when he was a puppy and I said I would never cut nails again. The Dremel is fool-proof on the nails (I did catch my Maltese's ear hair in it once, though--poor girl).

I have this one or a very similar one, if you are interested. Dechi recommended it to me and I'm most grateful :D

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TU0XG4?aaxitk=MGaQDElDBX.qw-CeEfp.Kw&pd_rd_i=B003TU0XG4&pf_rd_p=44fc3e0f-4b9e-4ed8-b33b-363a7257163d&hsa_cr_id=9382863600101&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Cordless Pet Dog Nail Grooming & Grinding Tool, Safely & Humanely Trim Pet & Dog Nails

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! I was able to walk Jessie last night and this morning with no issue. The key was just keeping her from licking her nail for a solid 30-60 minutes after we stopped the bleeding, which she happily passed asleep on my lap.

I've considered the dremel, and might get one in the future. Jessie's former owner kept her nails long and just rounded off the edges. We're in the process of slowly shortening her nails and just got too greedy on one (her nails are black). We're finally to the point where she doesn't click walking around the house, so from here on out a dremel might be a better solution for us for length maintenance.

·
Registered
594 Posts

The Dremel has been a lifesaver for me. I quicked Frosty when he was a puppy and I said I would never cut nails again. The Dremel is fool-proof on the nails (I did catch my Maltese's ear hair in it once, though--poor girl).

I have this one or a very similar one, if you are interested. Dechi recommended it to me and I'm most grateful :D

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TU0XG4?aaxitk=MGaQDElDBX.qw-CeEfp.Kw&pd_rd_i=B003TU0XG4&pf_rd_p=44fc3e0f-4b9e-4ed8-b33b-363a7257163d&hsa_cr_id=9382863600101&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Cordless Pet Dog Nail Grooming & Grinding Tool, Safely & Humanely Trim Pet & Dog Nails
I once caught my own hair in it (and it is very long) - if there ever was a blooper video!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I also use a dremel for Poppy's black nails. If her nails get too long I just dremel them every 4 days a small amount.....this pushes the quick back thus avoiding quicking a nail. I put a snood on her to keep the ears back and now she usually sleeps through the whole nail dremel proceedure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I tried the Dremel a while ago and it seemed to take forever, so I just clipped them. I don’t know if there’s a technique that I’m not using or it is just something that takes a bit of time.

With four dogs now, that’s 70 nails to clip (4 dogs, 3 have dewclaws) at each grooming. Never did that math before this moment....Now I’m just tired, lol.

I get the quick once in a while, not often, but it happens. There are nail clippers that have a sensor in them for the quick, I haven’t tried them.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The dremel is easy peasy and doesn't take much longer than using nail clippers! You just do a little bit every few days, just like VQ said, if the nails are too long (that's a great illustration). Then once you get them to the length you want, maybe once a week. It probably takes two minutes per dog, once a week.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts

Thank you so much for that link... I put it on my wishlist for Christmas!

I think Zeke has ever had a dremel used on his nails. How would I get him used to it? He's not big about letting me hold his feet, although the groomer has no problem... pfffft.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just saw this (as I haven’t been to the forum in a while) and wanted to add this tip: If you shave the feet first, clipping toenails becomes a lot easier, and you will be less likely to hit the quick. With the hair that long, as I see in the picture, it’s like clipping 18 dewclaws!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I tip I found useful when clipping or grinding nails when their feet are not closely shaved is to use a mesh bag, the type you get fruit in. The paw goes inside and the nails poke through the holes. It's a lot easier to get at the nail and the dremel or clippers don't catch in the fur.
Neither of my two liked getting their nails done, they were always better for their groomer. I think they sensed her confidence while with me they pick up on my unease as I have cut their quick before...only once each but it does make me less confident and using the mesh makes the process easier for me.
When getting my two used to the dremel, I used a high value treat, for them it was cheese or ham. I took it slowly, sometimes no more than touching with it switched on, but it was a step forward and a step back for several weeks. Now I can trim their nails, they don't love it but they tolerate it and enjoy the cheese that comes their way when it's done. So good luck with your pup with patience and persistence you'll get there.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Thank you so much for that link... I put it on my wishlist for Christmas!

I think Zeke has ever had a dremel used on his nails. How would I get him used to it? He's not big about letting me hold his feet, although the groomer has no problem... pfffft.
Put him on a table and hold him with authority, like a vet tech would. Practice touching his feet very briefly and giving him a treat. Progress to the point where you can hold one of his feet firmly and he'll keep it still. Also practice with the dremel's noise. I would turn it on and turn it off and give him a treat. Work up to it barely touching his nail, turn it off, and treat. Watch some videos on YouTube to see how quick the strokes are on the nails. I think Asher's mom has a video on the nails. There is a learning curve for the dog and owner, especially if the dog hasn't had the nails ground before, but you'll get it :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I tip I found useful when clipping or grinding nails when their feet are not closely shaved is to use a mesh bag, the type you get fruit in. The paw goes inside and the nails poke through the holes. It's a lot easier to get at the nail and the dremel or clippers don't catch in the fur.
That is a great idea for hairy feet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts