Poodle Forum banner

Aussie girl over here

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jak 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I am so grateful to be a member of this forum.

I will be getting a poodle in roughly a year. I want to spend the time between now and the researching so I do things the right way. I will be mainly lurking and learning, but I wanted to let you all know how grateful I am for this site and I hope it's really useful on my quest for Poodle info! :)

xxxx

#4 ·
Welcome PP....I wish I had found this forum BEFORE getting a poodle. There is good info here that will certainly help you in your decision making. And I don't think at all that it is shallow to factor color in on what you are looking for. I love them all too, but really love the reds. I have seen some gorgeous dogs of all colors on this forum! Good luck!

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find all sorts of information here to help you in your search.

Wanting a certain color is not a bad thing. There are many beautiful colors to choose from. But, remember that temperament and health must come first when making your choice. Best of luck in finding that special one for you.

#7 ·
oh hey! there's a few of us from across the ditch in NZ too, and I know that Jak has been spying all the awesome aussie (standard) breeders recently, so perhaps he'll come along and share some to start narrowing the search... Good luck!

#11 · (Edited)
Wow thank you so much for that very informative reply! Would you mind if I copied and saved it somewhere so I can reference it when I've decided on size, colour etc?
I really want to get a good breeder and a pup/adult with a lovely temperament, but I still haven't been able to decide what size is best for me! Is there any particular 'reason' you picked standards, or was it just a preference?

I apologize if I sound rude or spelling error, English is not my first language. :)

ETA: What are the bars above everyone's avatars meaning?

#12 ·
Yep for sure, copy to your heart's desire!

The bars above the avatar are activity bars (I think), the more you post etc. the more it goes up and you can get medal things.

Deciding on a good breeder is so important, so you can ensure to the best of your ability that you are getting a well cared for, intelligent, and beautiful pup, and to support the right cause!

I can't really say I picked the standards, as we ended up getting Saffy within a few days of finding out about her, but we'd totally fallen in love with my grandparents standard pup (who ended up being our one's newphew), and it just all fell into place. I have always adored minis and toys, but I think standards are that bit extra special (sorry to all you toy and mini fans!!)

They're so fun, loving, loyal, clownish, agile, cuddly... the list goes on.
And for a big(ish) dog, they aren't as big, in terms of weight and space as some othe dogs in similar size (height), like Rottweilers etc., they tuck up pretty small!
They are just so cool, and have that fun loving attitude that is cool seeing in a big dog, they are so fun to train, and play with, and are just really really cool! Did I say that they are cool?? lol

I would highly recommend though, that you spend as much time around all different poodles as you can, to try and get a feel for what you like, and remember don't judge by one experience, as sometimes they can just be untrained dogs.

Also, standards, do require more grooming, as they are bigger than the toys or minis, but people will probably be more impressed when meeting them, as they generally aren't seen often.

And don't worry about any spelling errors or anything, English is my first language and I still make mistakes all the time! lol :)
If you had not told me so, I would never have guessed it wasn't your first language :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.