Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He doesnt even acknowledge he has a cast anymore and just runs like a mad man! He is starting to use his leg a little and is starting to put pressure on it, but he rarely does this. When he goes up and downstairs and when hes running/walking he holds it to the side and runs so I dont think it would cause his bones to shift? But he's just worrying me. He gets so caught up in playing and wanting to chase the other dogs its soooooo hard to keep him from doing it! He's locked up for about 7 hours while I'm at school and is out the rest of the day, and sleeps with me at night curled up by my face. He occasionally trips himself and tumbles over but he doesnt make a sound and gets right back up and it doesnt bother him, he doesnt cry or anything like it hurts him. I'd think if his bones moved that he'd cry? I'm so scared his bones are going to shift and hes gunna have a screwed up leg for the rest of his life...maybe I'm just a paranoid worrying mom. Should I be worried?

Just look how crazy he is!! He was zooming around and wouldnt lemme catch him!
http://s805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/Shellybean093/Atticus/?action=view&current=0222001002.flv

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
A's grandmother's small dog broke her leg (shattered, not a clean break), and the cast didn't slow her down a bit. We were told to keep the dog calm and not let her run around, howeve... She is a dog, and doesn't understand silly things like that. She ran around and through the house, up and down stairs, and even jumped on and off of furniture with her cast... None too worse for the wear. By the time it was ready to come off, the cast had just about had it, but her leg was fine.

A's grandma would have kept her off of her feet more, however she IS elderly, so keeping up with a tripod terrier was difficult for her.

I wouldn't be too worried about him, but I would try and limit his running time as well as him jumping up and down... Maybe carry him up the stairs/pick him up to put him on and take him off of things?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I would keep him off the stairs at the very least. Talk to the vet about it, but I think you have a legitimate concern. My cousin's toy Poodle broke her leg shortly after they got her and it didn't heal right. She would often limp when the weather was bad and them more frequently as she aged. I have feeling it probably needed surgery in the first place, but I don't know who's decision it was to just set it and put a cast on. (This was over 10 years ago so I don't even know if surgery was an option at the time.)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was talking to my mom about it a couple minutes ago and she said she isnt too worried. I pick him up and take him off of furniture and I carry him down the stairs (he always runs faster than me and bolts up the stairs before I can catch him so I never really carry him up them). She doesnt want to take anymore xrays of him if it isnt necessary since she doesnt want it to hurt him, but he goes in on March 14 for a check up and an xray. The vet said it is normal for him to start walking on his cast as his leg heals and he's feeling better. I guess I'm just paranoid...:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The good thing about puppies is that they let you know when something hurts. Loud and clear.

Nothing wrong with a little paranoia where your baby is concerned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts