Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I opened Atticus' cage a crack and he FLEW through the air, and broke his leg. He was on the ground screaming and I was crying hysterically and of course I was home alone, noone to help or comfort us. He was sitting in my lap for a couple hours and just wanted to be snuggled. He went to the vet early this morning at 7am (they were closed yesterday), and the dr. checked it out and we got some xrays. His lower arm was snapped. He gased him down and he matched the bones back together and put a cast on him. I sat in the waiting room for hours crying my eyes out while everyone was staring at me. I feel like a terrible mom. He's home now and acts like nothing happened. He wants to run but he doesnt get why he has a "thing" on his leg. He's sitting in my lap now chewing on a bone and relaxing. He's fine, but it'll be 4-6 weeks before the cast comes off. He's eating normal and drinking and pottying, so he's doing very well. I just cant believe how fast it happened! I didnt have time to react, he never bolts out of his cage...he was too happy to see me. Thank God my mom works at the vet and I get everything for free...I also met a very nice poodle owner and groomer who sat and talked with me telling me how good of a mom I was to him and that it wasnt my fault. She got me to stop crying so I thanked her for that. It has just been a horrible weekend. I'm staying home from school tomarrow so I can be home with my baby. Just please dont yell at me or say rude comments, I feel bad enough. I just wanted to keep you guys updated on what happened...

His xray

waking up in my arms from being gased

sleeping in my lap in the waiting room with his new blue cast

and just a couple minutes ago when we got home.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Oh NO!!!! Poor little man. If it makes you feel any better, this is very common in Toys. They are too athletic for their body structure.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Poor sweet little Atticus. The main thing is that you got him fixed up. I'm so relieved to hear that he is responding so well to treatment. His cast looks fuzzy and soft in the picture. I'm sure it will be a little strange for the next few weeks. If anything seems odd, it's nice you have your Mom to turn to for advice.

As parents, we can't always prevent them from getting hurt. I know how you felt though. Watching him fly through the air helpless to stop it from happening. Zulee leapt off of the grooming table one time, and I just knew she was going to break her leg, rip a tendon, or worse. Fortunately, she flies pretty good. Don't want to try that again though!

I'm sure he will appreciate having you around to help him heal. Give him an extra kiss for me!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's LOVING all the extra special attention he's getting, he's fast asleep in his bed right beside me.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Oh my god!! You poor things! I can't believe it, I'm so sorry! :( You sound like you were very caring for him, I'm glad you could get him to the vet. It seems you were pretty torn up about it and scared... how nice of that woman to talk to you. I wish Atticus best of luck in healing up! Poor baby... it must have been really really scary for you watching him jump and cry like that. :hug:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Broken Toy

cbrand is right dear... they are so active and really do think they can fly...our lil Gi Gi did some damage to her rear leg when she was about 6 months old jumping off the couch, still limps, tendon damage.... you can do everything possible to keep them healthy and safe but they'll still find a way to hurt themselves... just give him lots of cuddles and mind what the vet says.... he'll be good as new in a few weeks... don't beat yourself up ok?...:beat-up:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bless your hearts...I'm sorry that happened. He will be back to agility practice before you know it. Accidents happen and we can't always catch it in time. Don't be hard on yourself. He will be ok.:hug:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I am so sorry Michelle! Poor little Atticus.

I have 2 small breeds and it's true they have so much energy and I had a scare once a long time ago so I had to get a bit more firm about jumping and the excitement my 2 would have. Because it's like they lose their little minds for a few seconds when they are happy. You are a good mom by the way!! Atticus loves you. You just might need to try and settle him until his bones get a bit older. Hang in there:)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Oh no!
Poor baby boy. :(
I hope he heals up fast.
That's quite the break.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Michelle you are doing great as his mommy, accidents happen and we've all seen from his photos and videos how much he likes to play. I've seen it a lot with the toy breeds.

He looks a little confused about the cast in his picture but he also seems to know his mom is taking care of him! I hope he has a fast recovery, he'll be back to leaping over things in no time.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Michelle, my first little poodle was about 6 months old when he suddenly jumped from my arms to the floor. His front leg snapped when he hit and I knew instantly it was broken (pretty severely, as it turned out). He was yelping so loudly and I felt like I was going to faint. Luckily, there was someone there to drive him to the vet's office.

When he came home, he had absolutely no trouble going up and down the stairs with his little cast on. He acted like he didn't even notice it was there. The worst part happened a week or so after he got the cast off. I was out of the house when he got his dewclaw caught in the loops of a doormat and rebroke the leg. This time, he had to have a metal plate and screws inserted to make sure it didn't break again.

I felt like THE worst doggy mom IN THE WORLD. It's not your fault--things happen, especially to little dogs with spindly legs. Just give him lots of TLC, and give yourself some too, while you're at it.

*hugs*

·
Registered
151 Posts
Michelle - look at how many of us have had something similar happen! Our dog, L.E. Belle, was 7 months and loved to play fetch. My husband thought he'd give her somthing to go for and he bounced the ball so it would be up in the air for her to catch. She flew into the air, and Bob could tell she was in trouble before she ever hit the ground. She landed on her right front foot and fractured the little bone the tendon is attached to. She was in a cast for 6 weeks. She used the E-collar for about a week, then we got her the cutest socks (all kinds of socks at the dollar store), and as long as she had a sock on she wouldn't chew on the cast. If the sock came off, she was back at it. She healed just fine, and I'm sure Atticus will, too. Yeah, we were wracked with guilt too... then last fall our breeder had something similar happen with L.E.'s mom. Sometimes these things just happen...no matter how careful you are. Hang in there:)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Awwww poor wittle thing!

Puppies are so full of themselves, it's a good thing they heal fast! Like kids, they'll get their share of bumps and bruises, but it doesn't make us feel any better to know this and not feel guilty when something DOES happen.

Don't beat yourself up about this, accidents happen! Before you know it, he'll be good as new :D

·
Registered
918 Posts
Aw, I'm so sorry for you both! Accidents happen, try not to feel too badly about it.

Our Toy Poodle broke his leg as a puppy too. I was trying to juggle getting a 2 year old, and two dogs out the door. I set the Toy Poodle on a chair. He wasn't a jumper but I didn't think it through. Off the chair he went and snap went his little leg. He had surgery to have a pin put in and was in a cast for a month or two. I felt terrible! Good news is that he's 15 now and still going strong :).

Good luck to you guys. I'm sure all will be fine!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why in the world would you think anyone would yell at you????
You did nothing wrong!
This was a freak accident.
Puppies have so much energy, it's often times overwhelming. My 4 dogs today were so riled up I'm surprised someone didn't get hurt. It was pandamoneum at times.

I hope poor little Atticus (who is the most adorable little pup I've ever seen) makes a speedy recover and you feel better too.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Ooooh Michelle:

I am so sorry you had to go through this alone. Poor little sweetie pie and how awful for you. Nobody here is going to be upset with you. Things happen that are just out of our control. Calm yourself, and KNOW you are a wonderful Mom to that adorable little fellow and he LOVES, LOVES, LOVES you!!!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
You know as a mom to human kids, it's not always in your control to keep them safe 100% of the time. Sometimes they just act in ways that you cannot control and things happen. I know you feel bad but don't beat yourself up at all. It happens and you are a great mom and took him immediately to the vet and got him fixed up. It hurts but you will both mend.:)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Oh goodness what a poor sweetie. I know how upsetting it is when something happens to the furry family members. These things happen. Don't beat yourself up for it. I hope that he heals fast.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts