Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else train with their partner? Or even a child?

My husband and I started together with puppy classes, and the first major benefit I saw was that I didn't have to nag so much anymore. I've had a lot more experience with dogs, but I wasn't having to constantly be the middle person between him and my knowledge:

Do ...................
No, not ..................
Be careful not to ....................
Did you .................?
Why are you ................. ?
Ack! Never ........................ !!

Tedious for both of us! Now we're both getting the same information from the same source.

I also don't have to act as a buffer between him and our nutty puppy like I did with our foster girl or our dear senior. Dogs are much less annoying when you start to understand their behaviour and have some tools to manage it.

The other major benefit (and probably the most important) is that we're much less likely to confuse Peggy with inconsistent messages or expectations. And we can step in and help when the other is frustrated. (We used to do this a LOT in class, tagging the other out when they'd reached their limit. Now we do it purely so we both have a chance to learn.)

Wondering if anyone else is actively training their poodle alongside someone else.

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
I took Pogo to his manners 101 class alone and left hubby home with Snarky. Then I made Pogo repeat manners 101 with hubby, while I handled Snarky. Pogo needed the reinforcement, and having a dog that knew the basic concepts improved hubby's confidence. Having both dogs in class together was helpful, as it gave us some strategies to deal with adolescent sibling issues. Unfortunately I have to go alone with Galen; the facility is trying to limit the number of possible Covid carriers on site at any given time.

·
Super Moderator
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's such a great idea, repeating the class!

We're getting a similar confidence boost right now, as we're sharing a class with a couple of "covid puppies" that missed out on some of the basics of socialization. This means going over some familiar ground, which I personally love. I'd happily repeat this class for the next two years.

Good point about limiting numbers. We're lucky we're still able to attend together. There are only four dogs in the class and our trainer has no plans to make them any bigger.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
No my husband has no interest in attending dog classes. He will however, as well as my daughters watch me train at home. My dogs are not easily confused though at times it can take them longer as at times they learn two different ways of accomplishing the same end results. I guess its because we have different interests, mine have always been the animals, dogs, cats, horses, gots & rabbits. His has been car restoration, car races, flying airplanes, and model planes as well. But we have made it work for 44 years, probably near 50 if I count before we actually got married.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
That’s great PTP! I see coupes training together and I imagine it’s nice,

My hubby is not interested in training classes, although he’ll come and watch agility and cheer them on. He says that’s my thing, He will feed them, walk them, tolerate them in our bed, and indulge my obsession. He would probably bring them to the vet if I asked as well.
Of course there are things he does that I don’t want to do, 36 years of marriage, something is working!

·
Super Moderator
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Caroline...yep thats about my husband. He will do what I ask and help with dogs, if I ask but thats my thing. LOL PTP.. Its nice that you two can do this together .
That's what I kept saying after each of those very challenging first puppy classes: "I'm sooooo happy we have something to do together!"

Sometimes I was saying it with my jaw a little clenched, lol. But I kept saying it, and eventually it became true. ;)

My husband is really into cycling, and also recently started kayaking. And he works long hours most days. So it's nice to have a scheduled activity that all three of us can do together. We have one weekly playdate and one weekly class.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts