Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Wahl Bravura clippers, and a grooming table, and today I started my first FFT. The groomer has done a not-so-great job up until now, and the face has been bothering me, so I decided to start there. She left the hair long on the sides of the eyes, which gives my girl a strange look.

My spoo girl Siouxsie turned 14 weeks old this weekend. When we got her at 8 weeks, she had been freshly groomed, with a velvety face and paws - I think they must have used a 30 or a 40 blade, and I really want to get that look back again. My groomer has used I think a 10 blade, because it's definitely been longer than when we got her.

So now I understand what makes this difficult - getting the dog to hold still! She wasn't whining or anything, but she definitely does not want to sit still while I do this. I got the top of the snout and most of the area between the ears and eyes done, but I decided not to push her too far the first time and stopped there. I've got my clippers set at 10 this time, as I figured it might be easier on the dog not to try to clip very closely until she gets used to it. i'll give her a break and then try to get the chin and neck later today.

Any tips for getting the dog to hold still? She doesn't like me holding her snout and wriggles away from me. I can get her to hold still for a few seconds at a time, but by the end, I was holding her body with my left arm wrapped around her, and then bracing her head between my body and left hand to keep it still. It works, but I'm sure she doesn't like it, and I don't blame her. Does it just take lots of repetition for her to get used to it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
It'll take some practice, but you'll get there with patience!

I would try to confine her less. This way she can calmly stand instead of fighting you. I don't use a grooming loop or anything else for my puppy. Run the back of the clippers over her face. This way you don't need to worry about injuries and she realizes that nothing bad happens from the clippers. It'll also make you calmer. (Of course it won't do anything grooming wise). Do the back a couple of times until she's calm. Then you can try for real. Or maybe leave it there and try in another session.

I personally find it easier to use the clipper with a 30 or 40 than with a 10. But maybe that's just me. You should only use a 40 if her skin can tolerate it.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I got my Wahl Bravura clippers, and a grooming table, and today I started my first FFT. The groomer has done a not-so-great job up until now, and the face has been bothering me, so I decided to start there. She left the hair long on the sides of the eyes, which gives my girl a strange look.

My spoo girl Siouxsie turned 14 weeks old this weekend. When we got her at 8 weeks, she had been freshly groomed, with a velvety face and paws - I think they must have used a 30 or a 40 blade, and I really want to get that look back again. My groomer has used I think a 10 blade, because it's definitely been longer than when we got her.

So now I understand what makes this difficult - getting the dog to hold still! She wasn't whining or anything, but she definitely does not want to sit still while I do this. I got the top of the snout and most of the area between the ears and eyes done, but I decided not to push her too far the first time and stopped there. I've got my clippers set at 10 this time, as I figured it might be easier on the dog not to try to clip very closely until she gets used to it. i'll give her a break and then try to get the chin and neck later today.

Any tips for getting the dog to hold still? She doesn't like me holding her snout and wriggles away from me. I can get her to hold still for a few seconds at a time, but by the end, I was holding her body with my left arm wrapped around her, and then bracing her head between my body and left hand to keep it still. It works, but I'm sure she doesn't like it, and I don't blame her. Does it just take lots of repetition for her to get used to it?
Don’t force her into it or you will have a nightmare on your hands in no time ! You need to be gentle and understanding. Do short sessions, 30 seconds if you have to, and stop often, after grooming a little bit, to give her favorite treats.

Practice running the clipper on her face when its off. Then when she doesn’t mind, turn it on, but keep it away and work your way closer and closer everytime. The face is the hardest part to do and the most scary for them. Even if she doesn’t need it, you should start with the body. Feet are also hard and many dogs don’t like it.

Don’t expect to finish her for now. It doesn’t matter if it takes 15 sessions to do her face, another 4 for the feet and tail and so forth.

Be gentle. And patient. Or you’ll ruin her.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. When I went back to work on her again, she was more calm and accepting. But I will go even slower and try just getting her used to the clippers when they are turned off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts