Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I decided it was worth trying to groom our spoo Hagrid at home as the place we’ve been taking him hasn’t been doing a great job and the groomer we like left.....

Bought some basic tools to give it a go and see whether or not it’s worth investing in ourselves doing everything going forward...

Hagrid was introduced to basic grooming at 3 weeks old so we are very lucky that he sits mostly still for most things..... was able to do some clean feet and trim down his face (he is not a fan of the face though and I can’t seem to get the same two pieces out of his eyes and he hates it when I try to get his little beard/moustache area?)

I decided that I wanted to attempt a Miami cut and get him started so as his hair grows it’s easier to maintain.... think I might have gone a bit too short on his rear bracelets though.... he’s also not keen on letting me get under his arms/sanitary area... might have to wrangle my husband to help keep him still ?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated ? photos are from different points throughout the day as we stopped to let clippers cool and to give him snuggle breaks ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
A good first attempt. Not bad at all. I have not even attempted. LOL Though I have started to pluck ears some. Renn gets thick fur deep in and I've been using grooming powder add a little to the fur and my fingers mostly and just pull it out. I leave some toward the outside. He does go to the groomer every 4 weeks so she cleans it up but boy does that ear hair grow at times. I do a little at a time. By the time I'm ready to try his feet or face, well its about time for the groomer. Maybe one day I will get as brave as you. My biggest problem is I don't have a good place to bathe him. I could use the tub but I couldn't get him rinsed well. Keep it up. There are grooming views that I'm sure are either on here or someone can post for you,

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Very nice first job !

I would leave the whole leg longer, to avoid the «*sticky leg*» look. Maybe a little more top knot and longer ears, but that’s just my taste. The pom poms could be fluffier also, for my taste.

But overall, congrats !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice first job !

I would leave the whole leg longer, to avoid the «*sticky leg*» look. Maybe a little more top knot and longer ears, but that’s just my taste. The pom poms could be fluffier also, for my taste.

But overall, congrats !
Thanks! I wish I could figure out how to make the Pom poma fluffier ? it was a bit of trial and error with the length but I think I might leave it a bit longer next time! At least for now he’ll be cool in the hot California sun!

Any tips for fluffing up the topknot and Pom poms??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A good first attempt. Not bad at all. I have not even attempted. LOL Though I have started to pluck ears some. Renn gets thick fur deep in and I've been using grooming powder add a little to the fur and my fingers mostly and just pull it out. I leave some toward the outside. He does go to the groomer every 4 weeks so she cleans it up but boy does that ear hair grow at times. I do a little at a time. By the time I'm ready to try his feet or face, well its about time for the groomer. Maybe one day I will get as brave as you. My biggest problem is I don't have a good place to bathe him. I could use the tub but I couldn't get him rinsed well. Keep it up. There are grooming views that I'm sure are either on here or someone can post for you,
He’s the same with his ears! Such thick hair and I’m too scared to pluck them myself haha

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Years ago I discovered how easy it is to unscrew a regular shower head and screw on a water pik hand held shower ...the one for humans. It is a 5 minute job requiring no tools other than your hands. I even did this at a rental and just put the regular shower head back on when I moved out. This makes bathing in a home tub a breeze! Not very expensive to do either.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Good first try! The key to getting 'fluffy' is a high velocity dryer and a pin brush or a slicker brush to blow out the curls! As you can see, I
I LOVE FLUFF! LOL!!!:marchmellow:

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Very good first groom with Hagrid! What a handsome silver boy!! I have a silver boy too that I think is about your boy's age so love seeing your pictures! We have too many stickers and burrs for my young guy to have bracelets/pompoms right now but maybe someday.

I first found this forum 5 years ago with my parti poodle because I wanted to learn to groom. The miami clip is my favorite. To set the bracelets I read all the posts by groomers and show breeders. Most threads/posts are several years old but they really helped me, plus I looked at all the pictures of current show dogs and their bracelets.

Today I cut off my older guy's bracelets because of the burrs/stickers. I had been growing them back out since last fall, so seeing your cute guy made me smile. The most important thing I learned about home grooming is to invest in the best equipment you can afford. It is worth it. Sounds great that you have a bath station at your complex!
Good Luck!!
Here is my baby silver ( Aero) born last July:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great job :) by the 5th or 6th groom you’ll feel as if you’ve been doing it forever. Totally worth it to do at home!

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
vikingking, yes thanks you. I have done that before too. I had my shower redone and there is too much glass so I am a bit leary. My old tub faucet I could put a hand held shower attachment too, this new one doesn't seem to have anyway I can attach s something. I may take a ride one ride to the plumbing store and see what they have perhaps I can get it swapped out for something that I can attach a handheld too. I wish now I had added a handheld to the tub. I have seen them and boy that would be handy. Thanks again for your ideas, it has me thinking.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Very nice first attempt. I would suggest to baby step it - it is amazing what you can accomplish with 10 minutes a day - every day. You want him to relax and get bored with grooming. You also have to be firm but you have to mix it up with areas that are no problem and areas that stress him out a bit. Talk to him and don't let him get away with anything. If he pulls his leg while you are working - you just hold it so he doesn't get anywhere with fussing and you wait him out. When he stops pulling you continue and work towards a finish, praise and treat. Some dogs do great with treats. Buy yourself good equipment it is worth every penny!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good first groom with Hagrid! What a handsome silver boy!! I have a silver boy too that I think is about your boy's age so love seeing your pictures! We have too many stickers and burrs for my young guy to have bracelets/pompoms right now but maybe someday.

I first found this forum 5 years ago with my parti poodle because I wanted to learn to groom. The miami clip is my favorite. To set the bracelets I read all the posts by groomers and show breeders. Most threads/posts are several years old but they really helped me, plus I looked at all the pictures of current show dogs and their bracelets.

Today I cut off my older guy's bracelets because of the burrs/stickers. I had been growing them back out since last fall, so seeing your cute guy made me smile. The most important thing I learned about home grooming is to invest in the best equipment you can afford. It is worth it. Sounds great that you have a bath station at your complex!
Good Luck!!
Here is my baby silver ( Aero) born last July:

Aww Aero is so cute!! Yes they’re a similar age ? Hagrid was born last August! Hehe it’s been so amazing watching him grow!

I’ll keep searching through the forum and reading all the grooming posts! It’s been fun watching videos and reading about it all! I’m really enjoying it and excited to do more ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice first attempt. I would suggest to baby step it - it is amazing what you can accomplish with 10 minutes a day - every day. You want him to relax and get bored with grooming. You also have to be firm but you have to mix it up with areas that are no problem and areas that stress him out a bit. Talk to him and don't let him get away with anything. If he pulls his leg while you are working - you just hold it so he doesn't get anywhere with fussing and you wait him out. When he stops pulling you continue and work towards a finish, praise and treat. Some dogs do great with treats. Buy yourself good equipment it is worth every penny!
Thanks so much ? yes, I’ve noticed doing it bit by bit seems to work! I’ve been giving him treats while doing things he doesn’t like (the toes needed treats and play breaks) but overall he’s thankfully very calm! Every groomer we’ve been to says he’s a dream to work with because he’s so relaxed so hopefully I can build up that relationship with him too ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good first try! The key to getting 'fluffy' is a high velocity dryer and a pin brush or a slicker brush to blow out the curls! As you can see, I
I LOVE FLUFF! LOL!!!
Hahaha we are now looking into getting a HV dryer so we can give things a go ? we’ve got both a pin and slicker brush but now it makes sense why using that and the regular hair dryer wasn’t making things as fluffy as I’d hoped!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thank you ??? hes a looker hehe and hes such a little snuggle bug!! We get stopped a lot because of his colouring. And because he’s so friendly ? just have to get over the stubborn puppy attitude ??
Friendly and stubborn...that describes Maizie to a T. It does get a little better with age. Maizie is 4 and about 75% compliant, up from 25% as a puppy :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts