Poodle Forum banner

Attacked but ok

5K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  hrsldy 
This is so upsetting to me! What a frightening experience. It sounds like you've all handled it as well as can be expected, but still so very traumatic for both you and your dogs.

Hope you're all cuddled in close tonight and can have a peaceful day tomorrow.

I've been nearby when pepper spray was deployed and it was awful. Took my breath away and others required emergency treatment.

I wonder if there are better options out there. I keep a whistle attached to my jacket, near my mouth so I could easily call for help in emergency situations. But I'd like to add some sort of spray.

Self-defense with a canine focus would be an excellent class. I'd certainly take it! But I've never heard of one, at least not around here.

It's pretty remarkable how our bodies take over when supercharged with adrenaline. You're right that it would be helpful to have muscle memory kick in. Otherwise it's easy to make things worse, such as by sticking your vulnerable hands into the danger zone (as I foolishly did when Peggy was attacked at our local dog park).

I think wearing sturdy footwear is a good start. No flip-flops or sandals. But that wouldn't be much help when confronted with a pit, GSD, or similar.

I've heard you're supposed to stick your finger in an attacking dog's bum, or lift their hind legs. But imagine having the presence of mind to do so? Or even the ability to maneuver yourself into the right position? Seems unlikely in most heightened situations, unless you're at a dog park or similar, where you're apart from your dog and approaching the fight from the outside.

I don't think you need a dangerous dog to demonstrate (or even just discuss) some best practises for responding to an attack. Grabbing the hind legs, for example, is not something most people would think to do.

I'm going to suggest to our trainer that she consider addressing this topic in an upcoming class. Even just conversationally. We've got a few quite fragile folks in our current session. I think just hearing that they should drop the leash could be hugely beneficial.

How're the dogs doing today, Rose n Poos? And how are YOU doing?

I'm really happy those folks stepped up so immediately and wholeheartedly. Happy, too, that you got out for a walk today. Impressive!

I used to ride and still have my crops. I don't think they'd be very helpful, unfortunately. To get an effective whipping action, you'd need some distance. And even still, I don't think they'd deter a dog in attack mode. They're pretty flimsy.

I just read an article that said sprays can be effective, as long as they don't pose a risk to you (as pepper sprays could). They mention a fire extinguisher, but said even whipped cream would work??? Basically just anything that expands as it sprays is what you want to reach for. But I dunno..... Hard to know who to believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.