Poodle Forum banner

Attacked but ok

5K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  hrsldy 
I learned a few other things today about just what's possible in the lightspeed these attacks seem to happen in. Instinct is practically all you have unless you've literally trained for this.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as safety training classes to attend? Not person safety only but to protect your dog/s too. There's no way I'm letting them fend for themselves. If you don't have practiced techniques and muscle memory working for you, you're all in danger.

When this subject has come up before, I'd thought about carrying an umbrella or walking stick. That's not even a little realistic when you're managing two pups. I keep a whistle handy, not even a nanosecond available to grab it, and I needed my hands to do other things.

If this should ever happen again, my feet are my only weapon. I understand that now. Letting go the leashes crossed my mind for that split second but I split second decided that wasn't right here. Neo was plastered to me and up was the only way to keep him even a bit safe. Remo, sensibly and shaking, just tried to stay invisible.
I honestly believe if this situation were to ever happen to Miracle that she would be severely injured or much worse. She would growl or lunge due to her own fearful reaction, which only seemed to get worse when unleashed dogs in my previous apartment complex approached her. I started walking her away from residential areas, but where I live now, that is no longer a possibility. The only good plan I have is to pick her up, which is what I've already done in several instances, but I know it's not the best plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.