Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody lives in the Atlanta area, there is a major dog grooming exposition going on next weekend. As pet owners you probably are not interested in the dog grooming seminars, per se, but there is a phenomenal vendor area with vendors from across the continent.

Maybe I'll meet some of you there? I'm there Thursday right through Sunday night.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I went last year...drove all the way from PA. Its an excellent way to "try on" scissors to see if they fit your fingers. You can sniff and smell shampoo from every major line. You can get cologne, de-matters, shammy towels, dryers, clippers out the wah-zoo! If you want to learn how to groom a better poodle, you can sign up for classes at the door. You don't have to pre-register, alth some might be standing room only. It has inventors, authors, showers and breeders, not just of poodles, but any groom type dog (airdales, sealys, westies, bichons, shih tzus and some nice little mixes) If you can possibly make a day of it, its so worth it. I went to too many shows last year and I'm all set for equipment. I am just attending 2 this year. but honestly, you have never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying to convince my accountant that my whole trip to winter in Florida from Canada was "really" to go to the pet fair as a business expense. LOL She isn't letting me claim the whole trip - just the pet fair part. LOL Oh well - it was worth a try.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I wish I could go! Half the people at my work are going, haha. One of the groomers is going to enter a grooming competition with this beautiful black standard, Genevieve, into a German trim. Look for her if you're going! I'm really jealous that they all get to go. I'm going to be stuck at school that whole weekend... bluh.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Well, when I worked for Ann Stafford (producer) at the show, it was a TRADE-ONLY show, not open to the general public.

Here's the show info http://www.atlantapetfair.com/
Maybe theres a plus side this year:), and with the economy what a great opportunity to broaden the show and contribute some sales to vendors - I am wondering how it would be determined a trade person versus a poodle owner just coming to watch and spend some money? Would you have to show a business license? Just curious:)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Maybe theres a plus side this year:), and with the economy what a great opportunity to broaden the show and contribute some sales to vendors - I am wondering how it would be determined a trade person versus a poodle owner just coming to watch and spend some money? Would you have to show a business license? Just curious:)
Olie, I'm not sure how they check your credentials because I've never had to go thru registration (as I worked the show), but they do list it on their website that it is NOT open to the GP and is pet industry only. They probably want a business card or Fed ID # or something. They even have security guards checking badges, so I don't think you'd be able to just slip in ;)

APF is the LARGEST grooming show in the southeast and has the biggest competions on the east coast, so I honestly don't think they are trying to broaden the show beyond the industry.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Olie when I registered, it was certainly spur of the moment and as I'm wintering in Florida and my business is in Canada, I have absolutely NO documentation as to being "in" the industry here in Florida with me. Since legally I can't do any grooming in the States, there was absolutely no reason for me to take credentials with me. The registrar just took my word for it Suppose "anybody" could do that.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Olie when I registered, it was certainly spur of the moment and as I'm wintering in Florida and my business is in Canada, I have absolutely NO documentation as to being "in" the industry here in Florida with me. Since legally I can't do any grooming in the States, there was absolutely no reason for me to take credentials with me. The registrar just took my word for it Suppose "anybody" could do that.
Thanks - we are looking to head to some different shows (not grooming persay) over the coming months, it was a thought, so we will see.

I have been to many trade shows and can certainly understand some areas not open to the general public but I must think from experience, where there ARE vendors they want any customers - this is what I mean by broadening....as I have coordinated trade shows as well and where the vendors were set up for exclusive sales this was open to the public BUT they paid a registration fee as well. Oh well, thanks for the information.:)

BTW - BRING US PICS!! ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I go every year and have never been asked for any kind of documentation. Plus, usually my friends, family, and even a few clients have gone with me. I love it. I wish I was going Sunday to see the creative. Have fun if your coming, and be safe if your traveling. :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Who is Genevive's groomer? The website does say not for the public but a lot of the public comes anyway.
Gosh, I wish I knew her last name... her first name is Heather, anyway. She's awesome. Black hair, a facial piercing or two and tattoos on her arms. LOL nice description, huh? Sorry xD I know the other groomers are probably going to be competing as well, but I don't know what dogs they're doing if they are.

I don't see how they would verify who is a pro and who is simply learning/interested. How would one prove they are a pro groomer anyhow? I would love to go and see the classes and competitions, but I'm by no means a professional. I think it would be a great place for anybody who loves dogs and grooming to shop and learn. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts