Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking at breeders and noticed that there are some variations in their procedures for sending puppies home.
Is 8 weeks customary or is that a little too soon?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
8 weeks is pretty typical for mini's and standards. They get continued behavior lessons from mom and siblings, things like learning some bite inhibition and other social interactions.

Since Covid, we've seen mention from some members of some breeders sending pups home a week earlier. I'd want my pup to get the full 8 weeks. I can't replicate that learning at home in the same way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8 weeks is pretty typical for mini's and standards. They get continued behavior lessons from mom and siblings, things like learning some bite inhibition and other social interactions.

Since Covid, we've seen mention from some members of some breeders sending pups home a week earlier. I'd want my pup to get the full 8 weeks. I can't replicate that learning at home in the same way.
I may be mistaken but I thought I read that puppies go through a couple of fear periods. Is 8 weeks before or after either of those and would you want the puppy to remain with its mother and littermates during that time?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Most puppies go thru something like that, but it's not a requirement :). Those tend to come up well after that 8 week age, more like 4-6 months, so no, it's not the best solution to leave them with mom, sibs, and the breeder for that.

You want to be their source of trust and comfort for those. It's something like a pre-teen stage with humans, they start approaching their equivalent of puberty. Most come out of it within some weeks, especially when they know you have their back. Sometimes a second period can happen during the teenage stage, again, similar to humans, with another set of physical and emotional changes causing behavior changes.

Solid upbringing and support thru the difficult times almost wins out.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Here's some good info on fear periods, the first of which occurs around 9 weeks, when puppies are typically sent to their new homes:

You want to make the transition as smooth as possible, focusing mostly on gentle confidence-building, short positive experiences, and lots of play for those first few weeks. Let puppy know you've got their back!

Adolescents are known for alternating between bold confidence and being easily spooked, but Peggy's most marked fear period occurred around 8 months. Our groomer called us to say she was cowering from all the grooming tools and being uncharacteristically shy, so she let her off the table to blow off steam and play for the remainder of the appointment. We took her home with a very silly partial cut and then returned a week or two later. She was perfectly fine.

If our groomer hadn't been so dog savvy, she may have pushed through the appointment and traumatized Peggy, making future grooming a nightmare for all involved.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Here's some good info on fear periods, the first of which occurs around 9 weeks, when puppies are typically sent to their new homes:
Thank you for reminding me of this. I've even talked about getting pups exposed to grooming in those weeks they're still with the breeder before they begin to learn fear.

I found this timeline/guideline which covers fear and more:
Critical periods in puppy development

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Thank you for reminding me of this. I've even talked about getting pups exposed to grooming in those weeks they're still with the breeder before they begin to learn fear.

I found this timeline/guideline which covers fear and more:
Critical periods in puppy development
Yes! That early grooming is so important, as is a breeder who just generally understands (and values!) early socialization.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
You don't say what size poodle you are looking at - as a very general rule, the smaller the pup, the longer it is advisable for it to stay with mum and litter mates. 8 or 9 weeks is the norm for standards, the same or a little longer for miniatures, and 10-12 weeks for toys, from what I have seen advised as best practice.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
12 weeks for toys is ideal as they are more fragile and prone to hypoglycemia when little.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would prefer a puppy older than eight weeks. A couple of extra weeks with mother and siblings helps the puppy to learn dog socializing and bite inhibition. You will get a more confident puppy at ten or twelve weeks of age.

I would take an eight week old puppy if I thought it was not being well cared for, but I am unlikely to want to buy from someone who isn't taken great care of them.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
I brought Pogo home at 9 weeks. Galen was 7 1/2 weeks. Galen's breeder normally sends them home at 8 weeks, I believe. I had wanted to wait until 9 weeks, but my state was about to go into quarantine. I would probably have had to wait until Galen was 16 weeks if I hadn't gotten him when I did. I knew Pogo was going to be a good foster dad; otherwise I would have waited.

·
Registered
Olive, black miniature poodle, 9 months old
241 Posts
8 weeks, do not adopt from breeders who give pups earlier that that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got Sammy at exactly 12 weeks. All his siblings had been adopted and he was the last puppy left. Lucky for me! He is the most amazing dog. I cannot think of what great and wonderful thing I did to warrent him in my life, but I must have done something fabulous!

I think 12 weeks is a good time to bring a toy puppy home, if the breeder is working on socializing. Mine did not, but Sammy has an easy going personality.

I do think you can make up for lack of socializing. I think if your pup is exposed to new sights/sounds/experiences a few times a week, he/she will be fine.

I bought a very inexpensive ( like $35.00 ) stroller for Sammy, so I could take him around to socialize, but keep him safe from infection ( he only had first set of shots when I brought him home). He still loves that stroller!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts