Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Tuesday when I met Luce we had gotten our time to get together crossed so I was there early. This is the waterfront park in Northport, Long Island. It is a super dog friendly town overall and there are many people who regularly walk their dogs there. I go only occasionally but anytime I do I think I should go more often.

I took these pictures of the 2 black spoos sitting on a park bench while we waited for Luce and her crew.

L in Northport.jpg

J in Northport.jpg

L & J in Northport2.jpg

L & J in Northport1.jpg

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
The gang look like they are having fun waiting. Looks like a beautiful park, enjoy the outing.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dechi it is partly the angle of the pictures, but they are definitely very different in size. Lily is 22 3/4" at the withers and weighs about 37 pounds and Javelin is 24" at the withers and just under 50 pounds.

Reactions: lisasgirl and Dechi

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Wonderful pictures! Northport park is gorgeous! I had a good time meeting you guys there. I am going to be in NYC this weekend. It is going to be a very short trip just to the city. I was looking at the training clubs near the city. It seems like the Port Chester is the closest one without a car.

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes snow the same park and same benches where we had our visit last fall. It is exciting for you that you are coming to NYC to check things out. Port Chester Obedience (very nice facility and people) is probably the closest obedience club to Manhattan, but it isn't necessarily an easy walk from a train station. The closest train station to them is North White Plains and is only about a mile away but it is a hectic traffic street to get there. It is a longer train trip to go on LIRR to Deer Park but then a much shorter and I think safer walk to go to Suffolk Obedience (my club). I never have thought about it, but is there really nothing in Manhattan?

Reactions: snow0160

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When we go to the dog park, my dogs always seem to end up on the benches, or on top of the picnic tables at some point.

That's not really a dog park, but a people park that is friendly to on leash dogs. We don't go to dog parks since adult intact males are not welcome at ours (among various reasons). The whole town is really dog friendly as many of the Main Street businesses put out water bowls and cookies.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Ironically, nothing in Manhattan even though AKC is headquartered there. There is a club in Staten Island but I’ve never been. I have not checked jersey. Maybe we will end up there after this visit. There is definitely more room.

I look forward to checking out jersey city, Long Island city, and park slope this time. I had never been to these places before. Every time I’ve visited nyc in the past I’ve only stayed uptown bc that is where my friends lived. Or the touristy areas like midtown. This time, I want to explore downtown esp the quiet pockets by the river.

I have a feeling we are gonna spend most of our time in TriBeCa. And i look forward to the best food in the country (and the world). I keep telling my parents that Flushings has better Chinese food than china. Did I tell you that I was so desperate I took 50 frozen dumplings on carryon in the plane back to Orlando last time? Lol
I looked up how to get there via subway and it is really far from our hotel. 50mim train ride. I had no idea Queens is so huge. My gluttonous side tell me it is well worth the trek.

This weekends weather is not supposed to be great but hopefully I can get lucky with scattered thunderstorms. I’ll also be checking out the dog parks yay! So excited! Our plane ride is at 7 am tomorrow morning and hopefully it doesn’t get delayed.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Beautiful pictures! Black dogs are hard to photograph, too, so I always admire how photogenic yours are. :)

When we go to the dog park, my dogs always seem to end up on the benches, or on top of the picnic tables at some point.
Archie loves climbing picnic tables. I actually have to keep a close eye on him around them, because if there's a stranger sitting at one he'll try to climb up and lick their ears, even if they're not facing him. :eek:

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
snow, yes the weather is supposed to be miserable, not good for scoping out new neighborhoods. I have shown at the Staten Island club too, very nice people and nice facility, but I have no idea how to get there without a car since Staten Island is more of a driving oriented place than the other boroughs I think. Depending on your schedule once you resettle you might also want to check out Top Dog Obedience School in Flanders, NJ. You would need to drive, but the facility and instructors are excellent.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I've been on the phone all day trying to get my trip rescheduled. It is not happening due to heavy fines($500). I will just have to bare the miserable weather and get a zipcar whenever I need to travel outside the city. I would love to see the dog facility but I am getting this feeling there isn't going to be time.

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Focus on figuring out where you want to live and then you can figure out where to train. Safe travels. I hope it isn't too rainy.

Reactions: snow0160

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I grew up on Staten Island, but its a way different place today. Most of my relatives except one have moved. MIL lived in Jersey City. New Jersey has some nice areas and probably some nice clubs. I will ask my dil if she knows of any and post if she does.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I grew up on Staten Island, but its a way different place today. Most of my relatives except one have moved. MIL lived in Jersey City. New Jersey has some nice areas and probably some nice clubs. I will ask my dil if she knows of any and post if she does.

Haha cool. I’ve never been to Staten Island. I see the ferry in movies and always talk about going one day haha. The areas around New York is just gorgeous. Long Island is just beautiful but I would like to be within 20 min of the city. Most people from Florida are ex New Yorkers. Ppl think I’m crazy wanting to move in the opposite direction but I’ve always been more of a city person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Great pictures! My first thought when looking at them was "They look so happy!":five::dancing::knuddel:

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is like taking pictures of children. Usually somebody puts on a stupid or grumpy face and they never all want to just face in the same direction and smile. I came sort of close that day. At least they were both smiling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts