Poodle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We spent part of the afternoon at the ER vets, after Neo swallowed an ULO (unidentified lying object) on our walk today. I got it out of his mouth once but the little bugger scooped it right back up and swallowed it toot suite. It was big enough to concern me so I grabbed the Hydrogen Peroxide (thanks to all who reminded me recently to brush up on first aid) and got it down him but he only made some unhappy noises then just sat there looking at me sadly. Neo got an xray and a throw up shot. Nothing of substance came up, the vet felt scoping not needed and we are on wait and see for the next 48hrs to 3 months.

When we walked in, there was a woman with a Maltese sitting expectantly on her lap. Then a man walked in with a Jack Russell type, Another man walked in with a tiny Dachshund. A young woman came in fighting hysteria over the small dog in her car, hit by a car in the opposite lane of traffic. A couple came in without any pet. The Maltese had been found by the woman, in traffic and unhurt. There was a microchip with correct information and we were fortunate to see that lucky and happy ending when the owners came in. The little dog hit by a car was whisked back and shortly the owner came in. He had his collar on with a current ID tag. Soon after that the rest of his family came in. We heard the little girl crying in the exam room "I don't want to leave him here". We don't know what that meant. The man with the tiny Dachshund went into an exam room for suture removal, The couple without a pet left with a box. A cat was brought in, in a carrier, found limping by the owner. The man with the Jack Russell went into an exam room. A couple with a Greyhound came in. The Greyhound had a nearly 2 inch hole on his side where skin and fur used to be. He'd been bitten by his sister, another Greyhound.

We left, grateful for Good Samaritans, grateful that we were walking out with our boy, wiggling his butt happily, grateful that there was an ER clinic near, grateful that we could cover the cost without wondering how. We left, sending all the hope and strength we could to those who weren't lucky today,

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thinking of you and certainly hope Neo is ok!! I know the waiting until you see the offending object is really stressful. I have been to the ER vet a couple of times with nonpoodles ( bloat, snakebite, etc ) and have seen several sad, distressing situations too.

Again, hoping your guy will be better soon!

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dechi. Most likely the thingy broke up, but if not, we just need to be alert for possible obstruction.

The ER clinic has a location across town. The folks with the cat had been told it would be a 3 hour wait there for non-dire emergencies, so they drove to the one we were at with still about a 1 hour wait. Just not a good day for pets in the greater KC area. The staff didn't seem flustered so it must not be that unusual for them.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks StormeeK. The vet felt pretty confident he'd be ok. He certainly thinks he's fine, but oh does he smell bad. I've used waterless shampoo 4 times on him since we got home. Guess who he wants to snugbug with tonight. Baths for both tomorrow.

It was heartrendingly sad. I can only find small comfort knowing that the owners of the dogs that got loose know where their pups are tonight, whatever their condition.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Silly Nemo - I hope he's okay.

It's quite eventful sitting in one of those emergency vet hospitals. You see some heartbreaking events.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Skylar. I hope we're not back there anytime soon, but he is an opportunist. Going to keep working on that, and also Wait at any entrance/exit.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
That is scary and will be until he passes it out of system, hopefully soon. So far he sounds like it's not causing a problem.

I like your detailed observations of the ER. We never think our dogs could get lost, but the microchips or dog tags go a long way to recovering them if they do. I felt especially sad for the couple who came empty handed but left with a box, and I hope the little girl's dog didn't have to be put down and will be okay.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Oh NEMO!!! Your impersonation of a Hoover is not one to be repeated!

Rose n Poos..... This too will hopefully 'pass', so I guess you are officially on 'poop watch' LOL! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Vita. I couldn't help but overhear the folks at the front desk, so when the owner of the Maltese came in, the young lady remarked how fortunate it was that the pup had been chipped and that the info had been kept current. She said even when there is a chip, all too often the info is outdated. The poor pup who wasn't as fortunate also had current ID on the collar which made it quick and easy to contact the owner. Side note - the person who actually hit the dog was also reported to be very upset but was heading to the clinic. They didn't show up while we were there. It's not their fault, I know this all too well, but it helps the family to know they stopped at least.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks MollyMuiMa. Little bratboy started with leaves, garden mulch and Rose of Sharon blossoms then moved up to dead baby possums within 3 weeks of coming home with us. Later, after the cicada's came out, the sidewalks were thick with them. Taking a walk was fraught with peril, constantly removing them from the boy's mouths. They swallowed more than I could get out :(

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Glad Neo is OK, and hope the poop patrol doesn’t go on too long.

We’ve been to the ER vet three times for different things. They are pretty emotional places. You must be a very kind person to be so sensitive to the suffering of others when you were pretty worried about your own pup.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Aww poor Nemo, I hope whatever it was he swallowed will exit promptly without any cause or effect. Busy day aah the ER clinic, we are lucky to have one nearby also. I am glad it all seems to have gone well. These guys we just never know what they will grab.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you CarolineK, that is kind of you. I was worried but it was impossible not to care what was happening to others. Poop patrol is still on :(

Thank you Mufar42, we're sooo hoping for that too. He's thrown up 2x since, which might mean another vet trip. Just waiting to see what he's plotting next.

Reactions: Vita

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
OMG I had no idea Nemo was so naughty and not discriminating when it comes what he eats. Have you thought about muzzling him so he can’t eat anything inappropriate when outside? I’m assuming a muzzle can would block his ability to grab whatever catches his interest to chew while he learns to leave non food items alone?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.