Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at my wits end with my dogs barking - I had controlled Ginger with the ultrasonice signal thingie - but Teddy did not heed it! Now he has Ginger getting desensitized to it to - I dont' understand that they are obedient in everything BUT BARKING! why is that - they toally look right at me and continue to bark - at least Teddy does - its like he is trying to tell me there are people or dogs outside and he thinkgs I don't get it! He is a thorn in my side in this area - otherwise he is pretty good now except for his excitement issues - but Sat. morning when people walk early and are in their yards - oy! the barking drives me nuts!

honestly, I don't think even Cesar could stop them!:doh:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh dear, you are not giving me much hope for Alf! In the crate, outside, oy. Unless at my side (or entertained enough by Pearl), or eating- YIP! YIP! (So yippy for a spoo! I should be glad his voice hasn't changed yet.)

Sorry I can only commiserate & watch the thread!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I feel your pain. My male Shih Tzu (9) does the same thing!!:doh: He only does it when someone enters the house. It drives us crazy!

I would love to hear suggestions for this problem. Thanks for this thread Pamela.:flowers:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
We are working Olie with this - have you tried using a spray bottle? This worked for Olie until we had a showdown where I was holding it facing him and he looked at me and pissed on my living room floor lol -

I just stay on him when he does it. I go to him and if i have to put him in sit and hold his muzzle. He is improving slowly. Good luck

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'm starting early to avoid this.. everytime Vegas barks or even tries to bark I clap my hands, sterny say no, or give a collar pop. My other dog is a barker and it's REALLY irritating, so far Vegas is really good about it and won't continue after being corrected.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Oh dear, you are not giving me much hope for Alf! In the crate, outside, oy. Unless at my side (or entertained enough by Pearl), or eating- YIP! YIP! (So yippy for a spoo! I should be glad his voice hasn't changed yet.)
That's funny. Saleen has a really high pitched "yippy" bark as well though every once in a while her big dog bark makes an appearance.

Pamela, you ever thought about going back and trying the advice I gave you before you switched to the sonic thingy Yes it takes awhile, and Yes you have to be 100% consistant but it does work and works better in the long run than a correction type method. Honestly dogs WILL learn to ignore corrects, you can do all the collar pops and ear flicks and spraying with a spray bottle you like and a lot of dogs will just decide it is still worth it to bark b/c the barking is rewarding. Why not drop the dog whisper mindset and go back to what was working in the first place? REMEMBER that before a behavior completely go away it may suddenly get stronger and then it's extinct. It's called an extinction burst. If it is more rewarding NOT to bark the dog will choose a different behavior but if it's then why should the dog stop. Sure she may get into trouble but she still got to bark and that just might be worth it to her.
Little side note on dog's learning to ignore certain things, they do the same thing with various training collars and harnessess. Eventually a lot of dog's learn that they can tolerate the pinch collar or the shock collar or the harness or the gentle leader. Yup, I have a dog who learned, thanks to John, to pull with her gentle leader on. It's important to remember that those are TOOLS as was the sonic thing not the actual training. :)

Fluffyspoos, I WISH YOU LUCK with stopping the barking. Ugh, I know how hard it can be when you've already got a barker in the house. The tibbies are barkers which is kind of to be expected since they is what they were for but still. We have an older dog that has made sure the behavior trickeled down to all the younger dogs so when somebody walks in the house it's chaos. My mom isn't super consistent so the behavior is very very strong :( When I moved away and took Howie and Wonder with me they were barkers but now two 1/2 years later they are MUCH better being away from Raven. Rav, also passes her fear of storms along. Mr. Wonderful has only been there right at a year now and he has turned into a barking, thunder fearing pain in the you know what. Wish I hadn't let her take him now. I thought about taking him back but he's going to be a bear to retrain and I just don't have the time until Nicholas is older. :(

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Whenever Teddy barks to alert me to something going on outside, I praise him for letting me know (i.e., doing his job). Then if he continues to bark after that, I say "enough" while pointing my finger at him and giving him a stern Mommy look. He usually gets it. Lately though, he hasn't even barked at the neighbors coming and going.

I'm not trying to brag, I'm just trying to say that I'm finding positive reinforcement to be a much better training tool than punishment.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I'm finding positive reinforcement to be a much better training tool than punishment.
I agree with this too - when they are quiet if even for a short while when they are typically barking - praise them - I do this as well:)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My Shih-tzus always barked and barked when someone came to the door. I used the Cesar method. I said "hey" or made Cesar's noise and I touched the one that started it on the side. Then when he stopped, I went on to the next one -- touched him and said "hey". They still bark now, but at least I can stop them after a couple of barks and they now don't go on and on.

But I still have to say "hey" and touch Tyson. If Tyson stops then Sam does too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My rat terrier Butter, barks when she has a buddy to bark with. Her original pal, Peanut, used to get her riled up terribly and when no one was home they'd bark for hours non-stop. The neighbors hated us. Now that Butter is alone she doesn't make a sound... literally. The last time she barked was early fall of 2009. I'm not suggesting you get rid of one of your dogs, and I'm not familiar with what you have tried, but have you tried separating them to see if it's easier to get one dog to stop barking when he/she is alone?
Just throwing out options for you. Hope you find a solution soon.

Monica

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dog likes to bark too. I was watching a tv pet show the other day. Don't remember which one. Their solution to stop barking was to train your dog to bark on command and then show the bottom of your hand and say stop. This did appear to help. They showed the dog barking and responding to the stop command. I was thinking about tring that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My dog likes to bark too. I was watching a tv pet show the other day. Don't remember which one. Their solution to stop barking was to train your dog to bark on command and then show the bottom of your hand and say stop. This did appear to help. They showed the dog barking and responding to the stop command. I was thinking about tring that.
I've been trying this for 2 years w/ Pearl. :p Thankfully she isn't a barker anyway.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't tolerate barking at my house. I have fostered a number of dogs and they all learn early that barking for no good reason (and there is very little reason at my house) is a big no-no. I have had a lot of success with a squirt bottle.

Of course, one method does not work for every dog. I have also used the coins-in-a-can or whacking a rolled-up newspaper across my hand to startle them. Popping when leashed sometimes works too. And always rewards for good behaviour!

My own dogs learn to speak and they learn Shh. Hoot is very good about Hushing. Jackson has pretty much learned to stop barking but he continuues to sort of growl (sounds exactly like Chewbacca!) and I'm having some trouble getting that to stop on command.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
puppylove - I had to laugh about your Chewbacca comment because that's exactly the same noise Teddy is making right this minute (he's playing with the cat).

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Saleen gave you some really excellent advice. If the barking is a serious behavioral problem for you, as it seems to be, I would definitely work with getting your dogs to ignore the distractions altogether through R+, instead of temporary ways to shut them up (like sonic things, squirt bottles, collar pops, etc). That's really the most rewarding way to do it, in my opinion. It takes a while, but is so great in the long run.

However, I don't find sonic noises or squirt bottles to be all that bad for occasional use to get your dog's attention away from the distraction. At the daycare I work at, we use a squirt bottle on dogs who bark all the time, and it works like a charm. I would NEVER use it as a permanent solution though. It simply does not solve the behavior, just puts it on pause.
Same with the sonic things, same with the loud noises, etc. They may work at the time, but it really is best to work with your dog to really get to the root of the problem. At work, I can't do this, as they are not my dogs, and I can't train with them, but if they WERE my dogs, I know a spray bottle would not be my main course of action. I think using them as a tool to control the dog to get it to focus on YOU for training is okay, still not what I would love to do, but some dogs do need that water in the face to "wake them up" a bit to get them to listen to you.

I also like Marian's advice of praising the dog for barking once or twice for alerting, but only a bark or two. I do this with Desmond, who has recently discovered that barking at people is fun. Ugh, it gets on my nerves!! But if he barks twice then stops, he gets praise for controlling himself. If he barks territorially in an excessive manner, I move him away from the distraction (the door), and have him sit and focus on me.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the comments - now let me tell you HOW they bark - first of all - they run to the door or the window and bark like they are rabid attack dogs - they almost go through the door - they can't even hear me correcting them - they appear to be very vicous - which they are not. If outside - its the same thing - the people going by must be very scared - I would be! - Yesterday some people were walking by with their dogs and I was bringing mine in - Teddy was in and I was attempting to bring ginger in when Teddy got loose - he ran right over to the people and I thought he would attack or bite - but he didn't - he just barked and barked and finally came in. I could handle it if it were a yippy bark or a bark that is warning me someone is here etc - but this horrible barking like they are attack dogs drives me crazy.

Wonderpup - I was getting somewhere with Ginger you are right - but Teddy complicates things - I just can't handle them both - even on a walk - if no one comes along we are ok but if someone or a dog does - I can't control the two of them. I need two hands to correct Ginger like I used to be able to do and I know I can train her - but with Teddy along too its impossible. So should I just get out the treats when they start and see if they will come back to me to get a treat? Teddy would probably if he could hear me say 'treat' or smell it - lol - Ginger - I don't know - don't know what to do anymore. Unfortunately I wsnt finished training Ginger when I got Teddy so he just picked up her barking - if I get them in a sit Ginger will calm down - Teddy will jsut look at me and keep barking.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh not because he is a bad dog - its just the two of them together and she has enough issues I had to deal with already - he ws so quiet and gentle when he first cam (of cours he was very sick so that's prbably why lol) and each one alone I could handle. oh well - just at my wits end...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts