Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is the thing. A few days after I got Ki-ki, she had explosive bowls, I for about 3 days, I kept giving her a bath every morning and cleaning out her crate, chalked it up to her diet change...after 3 days I took her to the vet, I was worried she had parvo or something, took the tests, negative, had a fecal done and found she was LOADED with hookworm. Got the meds gave them to her, also gave her Metronidazole for the diarea, and giardia...2 cycles of it and she still had the explosions just not in her crate at night, she was able to hold it all night by then, but it was still like water. Took her back to the vet and they placed her on fortiflora, that did the trick, they said 2-3 weeks and she should be great, well, her bowls were solid for about 2 weeks so I took her off the fortiflora within a few days guess what..........EXPLOSIONS again! OMG, I have no other ideas what could be wrong, the vet is at a loss because all tests have come back fine, she said some dogs just have irritable bowls.........

I have just finished transitioning all of them to adult food, but made sure it was the same brand and flavor the vet said she may have food alergies....she is eating Blue Buffalo chicken and rice I don't know what could be in it she is alregic to. No wheat/corn/soy ect. I don't want to experiment with other brands because of her bowls the way they are, but I was thinking about TOTW.....But from what I can tall it is about the same as BB. Any thoughts? I am seriously stuck here :ballchain:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Ok, so here is the thing. A few days after I got Ki-ki, she had explosive bowls, I for about 3 days, I kept giving her a bath every morning and cleaning out her crate, chalked it up to her diet change...after 3 days I took her to the vet, I was worried she had parvo or something, took the tests, negative, had a fecal done and found she was LOADED with hookworm. Got the meds gave them to her, also gave her Metronidazole for the diarea, and giardia...2 cycles of it and she still had the explosions just not in her crate at night, she was able to hold it all night by then, but it was still like water. Took her back to the vet and they placed her on fortiflora, that did the trick, they said 2-3 weeks and she should be great, well, her bowls were solid for about 2 weeks so I took her off the fortiflora within a few days guess what..........EXPLOSIONS again! OMG, I have no other ideas what could be wrong, the vet is at a loss because all tests have come back fine, she said some dogs just have irritable bowls.........

I have just finished transitioning all of them to adult food, but made sure it was the same brand and flavor the vet said she may have food alergies....she is eating Blue Buffalo chicken and rice I don't know what could be in it she is alregic to. No wheat/corn/soy ect. I don't want to experiment with other brands because of her bowls the way they are, but I was thinking about TOTW.....But from what I can tall it is about the same as BB. Any thoughts? I am seriously stuck here :ballchain:

I just hate it when dogs get explosive diarrhea !

Even though the test come back negative , she still could have something. Some of the parasites are hard to see under microscope.

If she had Parvo the smell would be a distinct smell and it would be very bloody.

Try keopectate and see if that helps also start giving her boiled chicken and rice , no more dog food until it clears. This always work for us when we have dogs with diarrhea ! I just hate it so much clean up and work to do when a dog gets the runs !

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just hate it when dogs get explosive diarrhea !

Even though the test come back negative , she still could have something. Some of the parasites are hard to see under microscope.

If she had Parvo the smell would be a distinct smell and it would be very bloody.

Try keopectate and see if that helps also start giving her boiled chicken and rice , no more dog food until it clears. This always work for us when we have dogs with diarrhea ! I just hate it so much clean up and work to do when a dog gets the runs !
Thank you....It started again day before yesterday and today it is raining, as I have no inside place to bathe her when she is COVERED in poo, since that would mean walking her through my house NO WAY, I bathed her in the hose outside, in the rain.......the water was warmer then the rain and the water I mixed with the shampoo was warm so she would hopefully not get to cold. I bathed her and let her in the house since I did not want her to be out in the rain all day because she wont go in her crate (I cleaned that out of course and left it outside) she proceded, within 3 min to take a dump in my twins room!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sooooooo angry right now! So she got put outside again and I do not want to let her in until I knwo she will NOT go on the floor again, that is the 4th mess I have cleaned out of my carpet in the last 2 days... and I am SICK of it. Boiled chicken is a good idea, but I have put her back on the fortiflora and have reduced her food to a cup a feeding until it clears up, last time it only took a few days....what I am going to do until then...I guess just keep cleaning her crate and giving her a bath every morning. I vet wraped her tail too because she kept pooping on it. I wish she would stop standing at the back door, and go in her crate or under the playhouse in the back yard out of the rain, it just makes me feel worse.....

·
Registered
843 Posts
Don't be mad at her,she probably cannot control it.
Try to give her some pure canned pumpkin.
And put her on a bland diet of white rice and chicken(white meat).
Give it a few days until her poop gets firmed up and then slowly reintroduce her regular food and watch the stool.
The pumpkin,I would give her about a tablespoon every day and keep it as a part of her regular diet.
Make sure she stays hydrated...you can boil a piece of liver and give her the cooled down broth to make her drink.
Have her stool re-tested for worms in a week or so as well.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't be mad at her,she probably cannot control it.
Try to give her some pure canned pumpkin.
And put her on a bland diet of white rice and chicken(white meat).
Give it a few days until her poop gets firmed up and then slowly reintroduce her regular food and watch the stool.
The pumpkin,I would give her about a tablespoon every day and keep it as a part of her regular diet.
Make sure she stays hydrated...you can boil a piece of liver and give her the cooled down broth to make her drink.
Have her stool re-tested for worms in a week or so as well.
Good luck.
O' I am not angry with her, I know she can not control it, I am angry that we can not figure out what is doing this to her, she is miserable right now.

·
Registered
843 Posts
O' I am not angry with her, I know she can not control it, I am angry that we can not figure out what is doing this to her, she is miserable right now.
I know how frustrating it must be.
Come to think of it,you should take away all her food for 24 hrs and then start her on the white rice/chicken.
But do the pumpkin right away...it works fast and really well.
Also,do you have a feed store nearby?
They sell probiotic for horses that is a fraction of the cost of what a vet would give you.
Forti-flora is not strong enough...it works as an ongoing daily supplement but not in an acute cases.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You poor thing... I know this can be very frustrating. We've had exactly the same problem with our Doberman. The vet never found anything wrong and just concluded that he did have irritable bowls. A friend of mine who experienced exactly the same problem suggested that I mix in the contents of 3 capsules of slippery elm in with his food am & pm (you can probably buy it at any store that sells vitamins). It worked like a charm and he no longer has any bowl problems.

I open the capsule and just sprinkle it over his food and toss the little plastic capsule case.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Im a canned pumkin (pure pumkin) fan. Ever since I was told that from other forum member's here, I use it when anyone has the diahrea. It really does help and pretty quickly too. I also mix plain yogurt just to help with the probiotics. I havent went down and actually bought the pills yet so I just grab a good brand yogurt with active cultures at the grocery store. That and the pumkin go in with a lower amount of kibble. I think in your case, boiled Chicken and rice is better then the kibble.

Good luck and hope she gets well soon!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Wow, P4P, I know how frustrating that has to be. I agree with the info already given. I would take her off her dog food entirely and skip a meal then start with the chicken and rice and pumpkin.

I hope they, or you, find out what her problem is soon for both of your sakes. I am sure it has to be as uncomfortable and irritating for her also. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone, I ended up taking Ki-ki back to the vet today, found out even after 2 wormings, she still has HOOKWORMS!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!! So 2 more rounds of worming and more Metronidazole some cream for her bum cause it is sore and raw and e-collar so she will stop licking more Forta-Flora (my choice) and a prescription diet (also my choice) and hopefully we are good to go. I asked my vet if Purina Vet Diets EN Gastroenteric would help her, she said it would but I did not have to put her on it, but when she told me that she may have the IBS type problems for life, I figure, I may as well start her on the RX diet now since it will help her in the long run and it is actually comparable to Blue Buffalo in cost....Why not if it will help her, and Tynk and Zoey can eat it as well and it will not bother them, so I will finish the BB I have then I will have them eat the EN as well, the vet said they will be fine eating that even though it is RX. That way I don't have to worry about getting 2 kinds of dog food. :curl-lip:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't envy you... :(
good luck with it all! Our Socks had hookworms back in March... I thought the vet tech was joking when she said we had to burn the yard!

·
Registered
646 Posts
How can one dog have worms and not the others? Shouldn't they be treated as well?
I am not a fan of rx foods and think you should try to find something grain free perhaps?

Casey gets the poops on most everything but for some reason the pedigree chicken and rice works for him. Go figure Orijen, TOTW blue all expencive foods and he can't eat them I get Pedigree and he is fine.

When switching fooods I even would give him lactobacillus acidophilus pills. The stuff in yogurt
that helps the stomache. I get swiss brand for under ten bucks and makes a world of difference.

Since your pup is back on antibiotics it would be good to give to her.

Good luck to you

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hookworms are nasty and tough to get rid of.
I believe that even after 2 separate treatments you need to do monthly fecal flotation test for at least 6 months,to ensure the dog is parasite free.
And,of course,prevention.
Be extra cautious around kids as they can get hookworms as well.
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
my dogs take interceptor to protect againt heart worm but I think it protects against other worms also. and the k9 advantix protects them too. I know some of you don't believe in using these but my dogs are healthy and happy and have no parasites. I hope your baby gets better soon.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
What an awful experience for both of you! I can't imagine the frustration for you and the discomfort for her. I hope one of the treatments offered here will finally cure the problem and you can both get back to normal again.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How can one dog have worms and not the others? Shouldn't they be treated as well?
I am not a fan of rx foods and think you should try to find something grain free perhaps?

Casey gets the poops on most everything but for some reason the pedigree chicken and rice works for him. Go figure Orijen, TOTW blue all expencive foods and he can't eat them I get Pedigree and he is fine.

When switching fooods I even would give him lactobacillus acidophilus pills. The stuff in yogurt
that helps the stomache. I get swiss brand for under ten bucks and makes a world of difference.

Since your pup is back on antibiotics it would be good to give to her.

Good luck to you
Tynk and Zo, have never had them and Ki-ki had them real bad when I got her, Tynk and Zo have always been on advantix and heartguard so they have been wormed EVERY month since they were 8 weeks with those treatments, I do use prevention on my dogs as I have never had a problem with it. I am looking into the stuff you recommended as I was told about it yesterday, so I am looking to see where online or locally I can get that thank you.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hookworms are nasty and tough to get rid of.
I believe that even after 2 separate treatments you need to do monthly fecal flotation test for at least 6 months,to ensure the dog is parasite free.
And,of course,prevention.
Be extra cautious around kids as they can get hookworms as well.
Best of luck to you.
Yes spoofan, I am aware of the kids being able to get it...and believe me I am VERY paranoid LOL!!!!! The last treatment cycles as this is her 3rd! Produced MANY dead brown spots of grass in my yard from bleaching the stools in the yard during that few weeks. Having the fecal done is probably not a bad idea, thank you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts