Poodle Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Good on you for having a CT scan. Glad it didn't show anything scary. I do hope you are able to figure out why you're falling and make it stop. My service dog, Honey, used to sense when I was about to fall and lead me to a chair. Perhaps there was a change in my posture? Once I realized Honey was alerting, I added the cue, "find rest," and she would lead me to the nearest chair. Very helpful when myasthenia gravis was out of control. It's better now, because of new medication, so I don't fall anymore.

I wonder if Asta could learn to "find rest" for you. But, from what you are describing there might not be enough time. I do hope you solve this. Hugs.

·
Premium Member
23,406 Posts
Claire I just started doing some DVD workouts to improve balance and overall fitness. Most of the workouts are done using a chair and you either sit or lean on the chair. I think it is helping me to increase my sense of balance while still being gentle and non-scary. I decided I needed something like these videos since I spend so much time at home and felt I was losing some level of fitness. If anyone is interested in knowing more about the videos PM me and I will tell you more. I didn't want to turn this thread into an advertisement.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Premium Member
23,406 Posts
Yes Tai Chi is very gentle and does work the core balance muscles. I have done it in the past, but now have no instructor for it. I like the guy who made these videos since he has a really nice attitude and doesn't make you feel like you should be kicked out of his "gym" if you can't keep up at first.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Well,with the covid training is going in new directions. - things that we can do together and have some fun. After reading, I now am working on this command "Rest" I needed instructions to get this to work. It basically means is to stay put when I Touch Asta's shoulder lightly
Sequence:
Get wobbly, immediately tap shoulder, sit down to check the fall ," Rest Asta"
I needed to do my part to sit down as soon as I get the warning tap shoulder and then Sit Down Claire
Asta lies down beside me.
If needed I can then issue the "Help Me" command to get my DH although checking my fall it is just rest for 2-3 minutes and test to see if I can get up. Asta really got this one fast. I think he sensed that I needed him..

An all together fun game. We have been playing Get Rid of the Poodle. Asta loves this game. Happy for us both. Thanks Click

Something else we have been working on is "Get on your Mat. He is so much more reliable ( 90 % ) This of course will need to transition to any place the Mat is. Although useful inside, I need to take him to a safe spot and train with the Mat.

I guess it will be some time that we are stay inside. I am going to look through the Trick threads (Thanks Peggy) to see if there is somethings that Asta may like. The get in and out of a box will be a good first trick for us - Asta already loves boxes so I am thinking that we could get that down relatively quick.

As always thanks to the many people who watch this thread and help me along - couldn't do it without you.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Good boy, Asta!

My vertigo is flaring up again, which I find very upsetting—never knowing when it will hit or for how long. This sounds like an excellent behaviour to teach.

Do you ask him to press against you while you sit?

·
Premium Member
23,406 Posts
Brilliant work on all that Claire.

If you are keen on tricks look up the tricks needed for an AKC tricks novice title and work on those. You can get the evaluation done via video recordings for a CGC evaluator to view.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Peggy - no to pressing up against me - that is another command "Stay close" With the rest command all I ask is for him is to lie down next to me as I recover from the upset balance. I can then issue a "Stay close" or if needed "Help me" command to summon help. I expect that most of the time, I will just need a 3-5 minute rest and then can get up on my own.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I have been working on hand signals for targeting. His favorite target is for "Jump up" When I do the hand signal for "Jump Up" he never misses. I am hoping to work on hand signals for all of my commands. Asta seems to really like them, partially I guess because he is so attached to me. I have been using hand signals for the indoor commands hopefully we can transition to outdoor.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts