Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asta started barking real loud and would not stop. My DH went to see what was the matter (there was no one at the door) Asta wouldn't move and kept barking and looking up. Lo and behold there was a SNAKE in the house! A really long snake. DH said it was a "chicken snake" Grabbed a hold of it and threw it out the door. WOO -Wee.

·
Premium Member
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Asta is a boy - named for the dog in the Thin Man movie series. I have heard that Asta is a girl's name in Scandinavia. Bright Star (hopefully I remembered this right)

As for treats - we had a big party and Asta got a SmartBone (his favorite - next to peppermints)

·
Premium Member
23,857 Posts
Wowzer, that would have made me freak big time. Good boy Asta and thank you DH!

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks Asta is a boy - named for the dog in the Thin Man movie series. I have heard that Asta is a girl's name in Scandinavia. Bright Star (hopefully I remembered this right)

As for treats - we had a big party and Asta got a SmartBone (his favorite - next to peppermints)
I love it! I think unisex names are awesome actually!

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Akkkk! What kind of snake? What a good boy Asta!:angel: You're an amazing early warning system. Glad you got lots of goodies and attention for a job well done.

·
Premium Member
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PB - my husband called it a "chicken" snake, no doubt a southern rural designation. Don't know what it really was.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Good job Asta! I am normally not afraid of snakes but if one surprises me (like on opening a drawer) I freak! We once lost a baby king snake (about a foot long) in our house and my (X)Husband for the next week was very careful about putting on his shoes and opening drawers while the rest of us giggled at his wariness! We never did find that snake.................LOL!

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
OMG, thank goodness for Asta, he saved you. Snakes are not welcome in my home either, I hope that one of my pets would alert me just like Asta did for you.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Asta....fabulous job!

I don't mind snakes as long as they are the non venomous kind. I think garter snakes are quite striking looking and interesting, however I would be concerned that Poppy would inadvertently injure one as her prey drive is high as is her energy level.

Iris would stalk them in our yard at our former house and even go on point to let me know where they were but she never tried to catch one. We had a very large one, maybe a yard long, who lived under our back step and she would bask in the sun while lying in my catnip plant...she was very colorful and unafraid if I came upon her. They are very good at controling rodents and crickets and other annoying bugs.

I found a poor little dead one that was "undone" by the landscape mower last summer and it made me sad for the little creature.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts