Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about them? Good or bad that I should know about?

They are out of Las Vegas, NV

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well I have been to their website but have never talked with them in person. They have bred a lot of champions in all sizes but mainly Miniatures.

The only things I don't like is that they refer to buying a puppy as "placing an order" and that they have a lot of dogs.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Well I have been to their website but have never talked with them in person. They have bred a lot of champions in all sizes but mainly Miniatures.

The only things I don't like is that they refer to buying a puppy as "placing an order" and that they have a lot of dogs.
HAHAHPP I was going to say that also. I am like come on! Ordering puppy? ... makes me think this breeder operates on a BIG level.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
lol Rox I would love to meet you, I think we would have so much fun! :cheers:

They breed quite a bit but they have very nice dogs. I wonder what their puppy to champion ratio is.
HAHAH Yeah I know we would have fun !

Well I do know that ash mystical has been breeding for EVER lol I seen ads for her dogs every since I started going to dog shows . I would like to know the ratio also.

She also works some of her dogs so thats a plus.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have talked with Marie who owns Ash's Mystical. I have talked with many "real breeders" who show their dogs and they give a good report about her dogs. Also the breeder I bought from had purchased my pup's Mom from Ash's-as well as some of her other dams. I believe I would go with her if I wanted another poodle of a certain color-she does not do partis, reds or apricots-gives a 3yr health guarantee.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My groomer does one of her dogs here in Northern California and says it is one of the nicest poodles she has ever done - besides mine of course :). She was not sure though if it was a large mini or a small standard, an in between size.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my toy poodle, Millie, who is eleven years old, came from Ash's. She is healthy and has a wonderful personality! Back when I got her, I did not know much about breeders. A few years ago, another poodle breeder said some very bad things about her (Marie breeds all three sizes....so there's alot of dogs at her house!).

It made me want to get some other opinions from the poodle world because in the future I would like to have a standard poodle and would like to consider Ash's.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have found that in talking to breeders, they are very opinionated :) Sometimes that is good, sometimes not. I think talking to the places where their dogs now live is a great idea. I love my breeder but I know there are a lot of breeders out there she would not recommend. Just my food for thought.

Having a healthy dog in your house a true testament, don't you think? :)

P.S. There a re a lot of good spoo breeders out there as well...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes-some never do respond to e-mail...Ash's does though pretty quick-but sometimes it gets into her spam...I know one breeder who hardly ever checks her e-mail as she is an Army colonel and not home very much. They should respond to both e-mails and phone if they are trying to sell their dogs.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I was looking at this site again and i see more red flags

Listed under her toys she quotes this

"The AKC registers all POODLES 10 inches at the shoulder, or less, as a Toy Poodle. In the market place, you will find that full-sized Toys normally weigh 7 to 10 pounds and Tiny Toys weigh 4 to 6 pounds. True Teacups are 4 pounds and under, but have many health issues, including a shorter life span.

Note: There is no such thing as an AKC registered Teacup or Pocket Poodle; they are all registered as Toys."

then I see this ad .....

http://www.pets4you.com/toypoodle.html

she states she has teacup poodles ........

I am confused !

·
Registered
335 Posts
I believe they call them teacups but it is not an AKC standard...I bought my cream miniature from Ash's last month....wonderful dog...just had his full grooming today...he stacks and shows like a true showdog...both his parents were CH...the breeder, Marie, was very easy to talk to and work with. I received a beautifully groomed dog complete with "designer collar" and matching blue nail polish. She Fedexed his toys and paperwork the day before-some food, etc. Very professional with a solid reputation in the show and breeding world.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I was looking at this site again and i see more red flags

Listed under her toys she quotes this

"The AKC registers all POODLES 10 inches at the shoulder, or less, as a Toy Poodle. In the market place, you will find that full-sized Toys normally weigh 7 to 10 pounds and Tiny Toys weigh 4 to 6 pounds. True Teacups are 4 pounds and under, but have many health issues, including a shorter life span.

Note: There is no such thing as an AKC registered Teacup or Pocket Poodle; they are all registered as Toys."

then I see this ad .....

http://www.pets4you.com/toypoodle.html

she states she has teacup poodles ........

I am confused !
LOL! I think that since she did not put "toy" in the ad, she is just advertising what MOST call a toy, a teacup as to possibley not confuse the "general public?" I have talked with her via email, she was very nice and I was inquiring about a toy when I spoke with her, I was very happy with the communications. The only reason I did NOT go with her is that she insisted I use a handler for my pup and I am sorry, but anyone can use a handler (if they can afford it) and finish ANY dog, but I wanted to show my own dogs, not have someone else do it.

I would actually go with a breeder that handles their own dogs at least some of them anyways (to CH of course) before one that sends ALL of them to a handler because then when they state "we have been showing and breeding for X # of years" I can say ya, they actually have SHOWN their dogs, not just hired a handler to do it for them. To me there is a differance. But Ash's seems like a very good breeder of show quality pups to me. JMO :curl-lip:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Sorry but I'm with Roxy25. "Teacup" is a BYB and puppymiller buzz word used to bilk people out of more money. No reputable breeder would use the term unless they were informing the public about how wrong it is. The standard says under 10" and that's it! A toy is a toy is a toy, whether they are 9" or
3". I'm so sick of people trying to sell "teacup" anything. It's become a huge problem with Maltese and other breeds, but it seems like it started with Poodles. She should be discouraging this practice at all costs not giving into it or even capitalizing on it.

This page is about Maltese not Poodles but it still has some very good info on "teacups."
http://www.foxstonemaltese.com/teacupmaltese.htm

Taken for the PCA's website:

"Teacup" or "Pocket" Poodles and "Royal Standard" Poodles

Responsible Poodle Breeders do not promote the sale of "teacup", "pocket" or "royal standard" Poodle puppies. This is a marketing ploy to sell the Poodle puppies for increased prices. Prospective Poodle puppy buyers interested in a small Toy Poodle or a large Standard Poodle can make their preferences known to their Poodle breeder. Most responsible Toy Poodle and Standard Poodle breeders are familiar enough with their family of dogs to provide information about size and other attributes.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Sorry but I'm with Roxy25. "Teacup" is a BYB and puppymiller buzz word used to bilk people out of more money. No reputable breeder would use the term unless they were informing the public about how wrong it is. The standard says under 10" and that's it! A toy is a toy is a toy, whether they are 9" or
3". I'm so sick of people trying to sell "teacup" anything. It's become a huge problem with Maltese and other breeds, but it seems like it started with Poodles. She should be discouraging this practice at all costs not giving into it or even capitalizing on it.

This page is about Maltese not Poodles but it still has some very good info on "teacups."
http://www.foxstonemaltese.com/teacupmaltese.htm

Taken for the PCA's website:
That is very good information, I am glad you put it in. I was not saying I agree with the term at all, I think it is as fraudulent as saying you have a "warlock/king" Dobi.....I know there is no such thing, I was I guess trying to think of a reason that she would have the term on her site that is all. I am sorry if my post made it sound as if I agreed with this marketing ploy.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I just went on Ash's website and she appears to be a reputable breeder who breeds her dogs for the show. On her website she states that there is no such thing as tea cup or tiny toy. I don't know why her adevertising on pets4you.com is different but I honestly don't see anything wrong with her site and her dogs look gorgeous. Here's the link to her site where she talks about the toys.

http://www.mysticalpoodles.com/toys-poodles.html

I don't understand why you don't like this particular breeder, but she is certainly not a puppy mill or back yard.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
"market place...placing an order... tiny toy pups available"

I think those are valid red flags. Just b/c a someone shows their dogs, it doesn't mean they are good breeders or something isn't up. I have no idea what this breeder is like, but she has some questionable content on her site. Puppies are not "orders," a reputable breeder cares about bettering the breed not what's going on in the "market place" and they don't advertise "teacup/tiny toy dogs." They might have smaller than average puppies, but they don't market them as "teacup/tiny toy."

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
"market place...placing an order... tiny toy pups available"

I think those are valid red flags. Just b/c a someone shows their dogs, it doesn't mean they are good breeders or something isn't up. I have no idea what this breeder is like, but she has some questionable content on her site. Puppies are not "orders," a reputable breeder cares about bettering the breed not what's going on in the "market place" and they don't advertise "teacup/tiny toy dogs." They might have smaller than average puppies, but they don't market them as "teacup/tiny toy."
I agree her site could be better worded, but for me personally, much bigger red flags are when the breeders don't show their dogs, don't health test them, but still ask almost as much as the show breeders and base their prices on the gender and color.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts