Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That makes a lot more sense when said out loud.. Doesn't look quite as good when typed.. anyway. :hippie:

Hi poodleforum :) I've been lurking the site for a month or two now, and figured I may as well join in on the conversations. I've been literally in love with poodles for years, though my parents aren't really very flexible when it comes to pets, so the only way I'm going to be able to get poodles is if I move out, which is planned for next month or September with the boyfriend.

I have some friends that have been breeding standard poodles for years, and they're planning their next litter for next year, they dogs are beautiful and I already have the names planned out for my dogs!

I've been going by the nickname Fluffy online for years, so I thought why not and kept it when I make my account here. I am 20 years old, a dog groomer, and I live in northern Utah. The dog I have right now is a boxer pitbull mix named Precious that we adopted from my step brother, who had to get rid of her for some reason. =/ Though he's gone through 5 dogs in the 4 years he's been out of prison.. real winner there. I also have a 17 pound silver tabby named Obe who thinks he's still a kitten.

Anyway, I am a very outdoorsy person and have been fishing my whole life, and started hunting with my dad 6 years ago. We mainly hunt small game, waterfowl, and upland game. I am going to train my poodles to be retrievers, and I believe if I pick the right personality puppies I should have no problem achieving this. :)

Sorry for typing up a novel! Here's the pets, there's more pictures of Precious on my profile in my album.
030.JPG 008.JPG cuddling.jpg

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

You should have no problem training them to be retrievers!!! Just be sure they can swim if you are going in the water... my poodle can't w/out his vest :( HAHAHA.

:welcome: glad to have you!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They'll be water dogs before you know it! If I put Precious's vest on, all I have to do is hold onto her tail and she'll toll me across the lake, she'll swim without it, but she won't stop with it!

And thanks for your welcome :) You're almost at 1k posts! Just 4 more to go!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Start them off as soon as you get them with retrieving and water. On the April-May Issue of Poodle Variety (Apricot and Red Issue) is a hunting/retrieving poodle. Angie and Rich Louter of Louter Creek Hunting Poodles. http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/ Also, Lori and Richard of Harmony Mt can be very helpful and they are very nice to talk with. http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/RetrieverTraining.html I'm sure they can give you some tips on what type of temperment to look for in a young pup for hunting/retrieving some have more drive then others.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks tons for the links, Thestars! I'll be bookmarking these pages, the second link even has areas in Utah! Awesome!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
A big welcome to you!

It's exciting to have someone on here that aspires to use their future spoos for hunting. I was thinking about it as I hunt and fish too but I really didn't have the time I need to put into it. I hunt large gave (bears and deer) but I always wanted to hunt birds. We eat all of our game meat and fish.

I wish you luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
:welcome:
You'll have no problem training your poodles to hunt, they're amazingly smart and most love the water~
check out the links from The Stars, they're awesome!!
We just did swimming tests with the litter I'm getting a pup from, and although they all swam well, there was one that loved the water the most and he is going to be a great water dog for sure, he's going to go to a family that will use him for hunting! A good breeder will be able to pick the hunter out of the litter for you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts