Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with an older spoo who is turning 11 in a few weeks. My friend believes the spoo has some pain in her hips and suspects arthritis. They're staying active, but are reducing the duration of walks (and increasing the frequency to compensate - i.e. one 1-hour long hike has become two 30-minute walks).

What's the latest on managing arthritis in older dogs?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I recently buried my aged border collie. He also developed arthritis in his hips. He was 14 when I noticed, but suspect it was active before then.

I gave him Vitamin C and the change was obvious. He weighed 35 or 40 pounds and I gave him Thompson's Buffered Crystals every day. I think 1/4 tsp. It reduces inflammation and helps the body to rebuild.

I also took him to a vet chiropractor, who diagnosed and did the snap crackle pop. It's not easy to keep a working border collie inactive, but I was able to limit the time he spent running around. Older means less activity anyway, but it's all relative.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
We used to give Rimadyl to our girl so I poked around the internet to see if it's still being used. A trip to the vet is in order to get a diagnosis and come up with some treatment options.

Here's a couple of links to some info:

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/health/prescription-drugs-for-dogs-arthritis-pain/

https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/dog-pain-medications#1

And one about the controversy over using NSAIDS:

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2006/october/rimadyl-controversy-6509

I can tell you that after we got Sass on the Rimadyl, she was able to move much better and just seemed to feel better overall. MMV of course.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for responding. My friend has an appointment with their vet. She worked in medical research and so is quite good at researching human health concerns, but veterinary research is a wee less transparent. Palliative care (Rimadyl) seems to be on order.

Her spoo has had a rough year - she had an incident of torsion this spring, complicated by some sort of respiratory ailment, which it turns out she likely had even before the bloat (she's rather stoic, even for a dog). Currently, she refuses meals (not unusual for her), has trouble moving, and prefers to lie around the house.

My friend would like to change vets (to my vet, ahem, the good vet), but her husband refuses to switch and my friend is picking her battles. We have a wonderful veterinary chiropractor in the area (performance dogs from nearby states make the trip to see her), but I don't know that I'll be able to convince her to try it, since chiropractic care has a lot of woo-woo in it.

She turns 11 in a few weeks, and it is much too soon to lose her.

Michigan Gal - I'm sorry for your recent loss.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My old ones did really well on Rimadyl. I always gave it to them with some Zantac. Rimadyl is apparently quite delicious, so it needs to be stored on an upper shelf.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I gave Rimadyl to my older springer spaniel with arthritis and could really tell the difference it made.

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
An alternative NSAID for your friend to ask about is Metacam.

Reactions: Liz
1 - 7 of 7 Posts