Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend Mia (12 years old) showed signs of weakness in her back legs, particularly her hind left leg. I can't discern a pattern (it's not necessarily during or after a walk) when one of her back legs will suddenly give out. Mia's on gabapentin (200 mgs bid) and carprofen (50 mgs bid) for arthritis.

I've cut back her exercise considerably. Earlier last week she rambled for an hour in the water and along a new trail, then slept well afterward. Now we walk about 100-150 yards before turning around. She also had a bit of a tummy bug over the weekend, so I'm hoping that her food intake back to normal, the weakness will improve. Is that unreasonable?

I have an appointment with our vet, but it's gotten so difficult to see him. He owns the clinic and is in demand, so any appointment with him must be made well in advance. The other vets in the practice are adequate for many things, but aren't as knowledgeable and haven't spent a decade caring for Mia, so I'm holding out for our vet.

·
Premium Member
15,366 Posts
Could it be a pinched nerve rather than simply arthritis? Does she lift the leg, or just try to put weight on it and it gives way? I found an osteopath helped Sophy enormously when she was having problems with the canine version of sciatica - you would need to see your vet first to rule out other causes and get a referral, of course, but it may be worth considering.

Meanwhile frequent short, level walks to keep her muscle tone up and perhaps gentle massage might help?

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good thought, fjm. We have an appointment with the vet chiropractor next week. What I notice is that she's walking fine then suddenly the leg will buckle. After a moment to catch herself, she puts weight on the leg again but favors it, with most of her weight on the opposite leg.

This might be coincidental, but I also noticed her leg making a scratching motion but without coming into contact with her body. When I startled, she immediately stopped, so she had some voluntary control of the movement.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Poor Mia. I was looking up the name of the arthritis medicine (Galliprant!) that was so helpful for Diego. He did start suffering weakness the last couple years of his life, but it was a very rapid deterioration the last 6 months or so. I really wish he would have continued swimming in his later years, it is so good for maintaining that muscle! So while I was looking up the name for that arthritis medicine, I found this that might be helpful:
Font Terrestrial plant Publication Symmetry Document

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My dad's golden is turning 12 in a couple of weeks and she is going through the same thing. She is also on the same meds as Mia. The vet suggested doing sit-stand, sit-stand exercises to strengthen the back legs. Kind of counterintuitive, but hopefully it will help. Hoping Mia will have improved strength. That is interesting what @Starla just posted!

·
Administrator
14,865 Posts
When you describe the “scratching” without making contact, that makes me think of abdominal pain I’ve experienced. And while Peggy had her recent (unexplained) abdominal pain, there were multiple instances when she seemed to show weakness in her hind legs.

Has Mia had her abdomen palpated recently by your vet? Perhaps her liver or spleen is enlarged? Or she could be having GI pain from the carprofen.

·
Premium Member
Standard poodle; African Grey Parrot
237 Posts
You might also ask your Vet about Adequan. If your baby has arthritis, it can be very helpful. The downside is that it is given by injection. I watched the first injection and repeated that at home for five or six days. I think it was once a week. Your Vet should be able to tell if it's arthritis.

·
Premium Member
Standard poodle; African Grey Parrot
237 Posts
You might also ask your Vet about Adequan. If your baby has arthritis, it can be very helpful. The downside is that it is given by injection. I watched the first injection and repeated that at home for five or six days. I think it was once a week. Your Vet should be able to tell if it's arthritis.
It's actually twice a week for four weeks. It's also better if the Vet tech does it.

·
Registered
poodle
116 Posts
I put my old (now deceased ) dog on cod liver oil tablets , human version seem fine , tablets with green mussel and best of all in my opinion turmeric …but I used to make it into a paste , there are recipes out there and quantities to give . Golden paste it’s usually called , used it for years , and made a difference for her
Basically cook up turmeric powder and water , add oil and pepper , keeps in the fridge in a glass jar for several weeks .
Just try to buy powder with a decent amount of curcumin . She was such a foodie she ate her dinner regardless !
No disrespect , but if I can treat using natural would much rather go that route , I do for myself

edit …the above for arthritis

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know. She's steadily losing weight: from 53 lbs in April or May to 51 lbs in June to 48 lbs this week, despite free feeding kibble. She still wakes up like a puppy, which is heartening, and fjm's posts have been a source of camaraderie and realistic reassurance.

Both her vets, the chiropractor and her main vet, are not concerned at this point. She looks good in a lot of ways, and her bloodwork last spring was normal. But no one can explain her weight loss, and her main vet wasn't really hearing me when I described the change in her energy/exercise tolerance. He's used to overweight dogs and owners who don't do enough with them, and he's not really listening to me.

There's always the hope that fall weather will invigorate her.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts