Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NO, NO BAD DOG!!! LoL

I swear, in the last 10 days or so we've managed to misplace every single pet we have in one form or another. First our kitty slipped out a window and got stuck in the tree in our backyard. The next morning Wonder dug a hole under our fence which she's never done before and made a run for it. This week she made a second attempt and this time took Howie with her. Only she miscalculated and dug out of our yard and into the neighbor's full fenced yard so neither of them got far. It's still becoming a problem enough that neither of the tibbies are allowed outside without supervision until the ground dries up ad they lose interest in digging in the once pretty flowerbeds that lined the fence before the terror known as Saleen distroyed them. I do remember saying recently that both the poodles were ruled by food and how was Howie so they weren't likely to follow in Wonder's paw print and try and escape our growing family. Wouldn't you just know that Saleen would decide to prove me wrong today. After being up till 3am grooming and making her perdy for Santa and Grandma she took her fluffed and puffed poodle self on her own trip of the neighborhood this morning. I had put both the girls outside while we finished up with our christmas morning breakfast since they had just finished theirs and it was time to go potty. I asked John if he had seen Saleens's finished haircut yet and what did he think. He hadn't noticed it yet and went out in the yard to look. No Saleen.... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He comes running back in the house looking for his shoes because she has for whatever reason jumped on the gate, no doubt barking at a squirrle on the other side and popped a board out. It's an older but we thought sturdy wooden privacy fence. Jazz was a little to chunky I think to fit though the space left by the missing board but not Saleen. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and of course start thinking to myself great I'm going to lose my dog on christmas morning or I'm going to find her hurt by a car or worse on the road. OMG!!!!!!!!!! As John dashed out the front door I went out the back unable to believe she had knocked a whole board off the fence. I just about had a heart attack when she heard me from the other side of the fence and popped herself back though the hole and came running to me very proud of herself. I was torn between wanting to laugh, to cry, be relieved, or rip her ears from her head and beat her to death.... I choose laughter through relieved tears and yelled for John that she was back.... then I threw up my breakfast. DANG IT!! I worked hard to make it a special christmas treat haha.

So Jazz and Mojo the guinea pig are the only pets left to not try and escape the coming baby madness. I can't help but be worried they will, or at least Jazz will make an attempt to. They are not allowed out of sight now and I would be willing to bet that if my nurse could take my blood pressure NOW it would be through the roof LoL. Good thing she cant hahaha. Still though it's a real worry to me, we've got to get something figured out because if it keeps happening either I am going to just keel over and die OR more likely somebody is going to get hurt or lost :( Uncool. I dunno if maybe the weather, almost constant rain since Thanksgiving, has a hand in the sudden ease of escape from the yard or what?? We had a really bad severe thunderstorm christmas eve so maybe it damaged the part of the fence Saleen punched through?? When we first moved in a little over a year ago we had some problems that have since been fixed and we thought the yard was pretty much dog proofed. All of a sudden now it isn't? I dunno, it's really stressing me out though. The only part that was never 100% fixed but we had plans for was the back fence which is a wire fence that has barbed wire on it. I was trying to come up with a less than ugly way to cover the barbed wire for safety since Saleen cut her paw on it over the summer. She did managed to jump it twice but it was because we didn't realize that a little further down the fence line in the neighbors part of the fence part of the wire had come off the pole and was loose, thus Saleen climbed over it. John fixed it though and we havent had issues with it since, he walks and checks weekly. Ahhhh... the joys of home/backyard/dog ownership ):

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I choose laughter through relieved tears and yelled for John that she was back....
OH BOY, do *I* know how THAT feels!!! This summer the cable guy came to fix a problem in our backyard and left the FREAKIN' gate open!! No one in my house knew that he had been back there or hadn't closed the gate behind him. This was before I got Lucybug (THANK GOD!!!) but I did call Cherie to confess that we had totally stupid workmen at our house sometimes!!

Anyway, hubby let our three dogs out in the yard after work that day (not noticing the open gate) and when I got home about 15 minutes later, I went to let the girls back in. Hannah and Meau were right by the back door, but I couldn't see Juliet (my 8 year old mini dachshund). I called for her and stepped out into the yard and that's when I saw the open gate. IMMEDIATE tears and panic - Juliet is NOT street-smart and if she sees a varmint of any kind, she will chase it and the car barreling down the road will not deter her!! I yelled into the house to my husband and daughter and told them Juliet was missing and I started calling her, running into the front yard (which is where the gate opens into - and from there the wide neighborhood and streets!!) She could've been gone for as long as 15 minutes at that point and if she were chasing something, she could have been far outside the sound of my voice, but I called her name anyway; through my sobbing!! :(

Within about 30 seconds, she came charging to me from across the street - she had been in that neighbor's backyard. She was SOOO happy to see me, like, "Look, mommy!! I was visiting the neighbors!! Aren't I the SMARTEST weiner dog you know??" I was SOOO relieved that she hadn't been hit by a car or attacked by a bigger dog (or whatever else my brain had been telling me that could happen to her!) I just scooped her up in my arms and ran back to our house, hollering to my family that she was home!

Midcontinent Communications got a very nicely worded letter from me, explaining that if my dog had been injured or killed due to the negligence of their worker, they wouldn't have been the only ones receiving my letter of complaint (the newspaper and my attorney would've been getting that little missive as well!) We got a personal phone call back from the company with an apology and $35 off our next bill. Because everything HAD turned out OK, I was willing to forgive, but I told the guy on the phone that they MUST perform inservice training for their employees to include the fact that if they OPEN a closed gate at a customer's home, they must CLOSE that gate when they are finished working!! I hadn't picked up the yard for a couple of days when he'd been there, so there's no way he could've missed the "organic landmines" and known we had dogs! I'll never know why he didn't get that damn gate shut when he left!

I'm so glad Saleen is back and safe - hopefully she didn't mess up her new 'do too much! :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rofl at organic landmines.... I haven't picked up the yard in ummmmmmm gosh I can't remember the last time I did it. Probably back in May. Thats another chore that poor John got strapped with since pregnancy. I *could* probably take it back over now since it doesn't take very long and isn't hard work or anything. I don't think I will though. I think I'll stick to my " Honey... I'm having YOUR SON you know...." ROFL. Ohhh I also got a new one which is " I'm not allowed, I'm on bedrest" even though I havent spent but ONE day resting since she put me on that.

Saleenie beanie didn't mess up her hairdo, if she had rolled in anything while out on her little adventure I'm sure my post would have read something like " and so with a heavy heart I announce Saleen is no longer with us..." I for sure would have killed her after having stayed up till 3am grooming (haha again not bed resting).

John is talking about just tearing down the gate and rebuilding it out of new wood so we know that nothing like that can happen again. He's going to screw in all the boards in the meantime since lumber cost $$$ and we are trying to scrape by with just his income at the moment and still save for when the baby gets here.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Do you belong to any freecycle groups in your area? Sometimes I see people giving away free left-over lumber that would possibly be enough for a small job like a gate. You should check into freecycle and put a "wanted - new lumber" ad out there and see if anyone wants to give it to you for free!!

Good thing Saleen is still with us... you might've regretted a rash action in about a year or two!! lol!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts