Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be a terrible parent probably but this is seriously how I think and I am super Peeved.

Last Wednesday I was in the OB's office for my appointment. It's not uncommon for ladies in the waiting room to have young children with them. A lot bring thier newborns to their post whatever you call it check up. Sometimes you get somebody with a toddler but that seems to be the age limit of most kids. These kids are something noisey but their parents, the ones I've seen/met so far anyway, keep them in reasonably in check. No running all over the room screaming and what not. I also very rarely see anyone who is stupid and inconsiderate enough to bring somebody with them who is obviously ill.
So anyway back to Wednesday there is a couple here that I will call older even though they aren't really, they were just a slightly older than the norm for that office. They already had two kids maybe 6 and 4 years old. These kids as well as her husband were obviously sick. Her hubby was coughing and curled up on the couch in the middle of the room where he fell asleep and began snoring. I wanted to throw a magazine at him to get him to hush lol little things irritate me I suppose. I spotted them right away and chose a spot as far away from them as I could get in one of the corners. I guess the two kids decided my corner looked fun for whatever reason and not only came over to play in it with some block but were so close to me that they were actualy sitting on my feet and at one point I had to pull them up in the chair. All the while they were coughing and wheezing and hacking all over and around my legs. Momma didn't teach them to cover their mouths I suppose. I was ready to jump up and and lysol the little demons. I could just imagine that I could see little evil germs bent on destruction comming my way from them. I even tried to stop breathing as much as I could. I shoo'd them away a couple of times. Their mother did NOTHING, probably figured "Oh thankgod they are bothering somebody else for a min. "
Witch ! :thefinger:
Finialy she came over and I though she was going to take them away. Nope wrong, she plopped her wide load right down in front of me, and I mean right at my feet, and began to play with her kids.
Seriously??? WTF??????
I half joking said to my mother that this corner seems to be taken so maybe we should scoot over to give them more room. The lady looks up and gives me this eat crap kind of look and says sorry, she'll move them. Well her version of moving them was to tell them to give me some room for my feet and not to touch me, which neither paid any attention to. The mom then showed that she too had a cough and coughed on my leg.
OMG... EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

So can you guess what I woke up to two days ago??? A cough. It's been getting worse over the last couple days . Today my cough has progressed to cough with a slight sore throat and seems to be more in my chest than before and a slight headach and slightly sensative joints in my wrist, neck, fingers, and ankles. Not exactly flue like body ache but enough to be annoying. I washed obsessively in the bathroom and and developing a bit of a nervous tick about cleaning my hands and not touching my face or for that matter much of anything else unless I have to while out in public. I was determined not to get sick while I was pregnant if I could avoid it. I've been downing O.J. by the gallon it seems to help fight off whatever I've come down with. As if my problems weren't great enough :( The coughing has also stimulated some additional cramping and I had to call the birthing center today since my Doc. isn't open on weekends. I've been given really clear instructions that no cramping should go unreported from this day forward, at least until my follow up when they can determine if Nicholas is ok.

I am soooooo angry right now though, what on earth prompted this lady to bring her entire sick family into the OB's office?? I also don't understand why the staff couldn't have said something to her and/or made them wear masks. There are signs posted ALL over the hopsital that any one displaying certain symptoms or who has been diagnosed or suspected of either Flu strain should be masked. I know it's exciting and you want your husband there with you that first OB visit to confirm pregancy, I figured out that is what she was there for, but come on!!! Have a care. Plus you already have two kids, he's probably seen it before and if he and the kids are sick you should leave them at home. This offices deals with high risk pregancies *raises hand* surely they should have a care.

K, this is long enough, sorry. Had to gripe though! :doh: Arrrgggghh!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
OK... that story has me ANGRY right along with you! The NERVE of some people!! You know what else pi$$e$ me off? The first sentence in your post... You think YOU'RE going to be a terrible parent??? I think your instincts are spot-on and you're going to be a great, common-sense, no-nonsense mom!!

I am surprised that the staff at the OB's office didn't say something to her, but maybe they were busy or distracted enough that they didn't notice... I thought about your scenario and I think I probably would've gone to the staff and brought the sickies to their attention - any reprimand or suggestion to wear a mask should be coming from them anyway... That doesn't help you in your current situation, though...

I'll be sending healing thoughts your way - I'll pray that whatever bug you picked up decides to move along soon and that you start feeling better pronto!!!

Sooooo sorry this happened. Being sick sucks even when you only have to worry about yourself - it's compounded when you have to worry about your little hitchhiker, too!!

Please keep us posted and get well FAST!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
OK... that story has me ANGRY right along with you! The NERVE of some people!! You know what else pi$$e$ me off? The first sentence in your post... You think YOU'RE going to be a terrible parent??? I think your instincts are spot-on and you're going to be a great, common-sense, no-nonsense mom!!

I am surprised that the staff at the OB's office didn't say something to her, but maybe they were busy or distracted enough that they didn't notice... I thought about your scenario and I think I probably would've gone to the staff and brought the sickies to their attention - any reprimand or suggestion to wear a mask should be coming from them anyway... That doesn't help you in your current situation, though...

I'll be sending healing thoughts your way - I'll pray that whatever bug you picked up decides to move along soon and that you start feeling better pronto!!!

Sooooo sorry this happened. Being sick sucks even when you only have to worry about yourself - it's compounded when you have to worry about your little hitchhiker, too!!

Please keep us posted and get well FAST!!
I am with plumcrazy accept one thing it really is the deman parents I think!! Sounds like Dads all caught up in being a big baby himself to even help the situation not sure why he is there anyway at this point. Many flu's going around H1N1 and so on..........it's been all ovet the news!! It's too bad that the staff didn't catch on. I hope you dont come down with anything too terrible.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I would have definitely said something to staff about it. I have asthma and use a daily inhaled steroid drug that makes me super susceptible to anything that comes my way. Imagine what that's like when you have to use public transportation!

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon. Maybe you should stick a mask in your bag for emergencies like that. I know they say that they're really only effective if the infected person wears it, but seems like even if it's half-effective, that's better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
There are people here who think they have to take the whole friggin family everywhere and it's annoying even when the kids are well behaved. Why do you need to bring 8 people to a doctor's appointment? Or your five kids to the nail salon for that matter? I always wonder why the heck dad/grandma/grandpa or one of the other four adults w/ you couldn't have stayed home w/ the kids.

IMO, if your kids don't behave leave them at home. I think we need more restrictions on poorly behaved kids (and parents) and more freedom for well behaved dogs. The germ thing bugs me too. I'll never forget being in line at Walmart and seeing a little girl with goop just oozing out of her eyes sitting in a basket. All I could think is my dog is too "unsanitary" to be in a Walmart but that kid w/ god only knows what is spreading her germs everywhere. She should've been at the doctor, not out shopping. Everyperson that put their groceries in that basket for the rest of the day.... (gag I can't even finish)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
there are people here who think they have to take the whole friggin family everywhere and it's annoying even when the kids are well behaved. Why do you need to bring 8 people to a doctor's appointment? Or your five kids to the nail salon for that matter? I always wonder why the heck dad/grandma/grandpa or one of the other four adults w/ you couldn't have stayed home w/ the kids.

Imo, if your kids don't behave leave them at home. I think we need more restrictions on poorly behaved kids (and parents) and more freedom for well behaved dogs. The germ thing bugs me too. I'll never forget being in line at walmart and seeing a little girl with goop just oozing out of her eyes sitting in a basket. All i could think is my dog is too "unsanitary" to be in a walmart but that kid w/ god only knows what is spreading her germs everywhere. She should've been at the doctor, not out shopping. Everyperson that put their groceries in that basket for the rest of the day.... (gag i can't even finish)
THANK YOU, Harley_chik!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Um, I got off of my little rant and forgot to tell you I hope you recover quickly. I've had this crap off and on for almost 4 weeks now and it sucks. You should've sprayed lysol in a cloud all around you, lol!

I sounds like you will be a better parent than most b/c you have this novel idea that kids should be taught manners. The idea of manners has really gotten lost. I think the main reason I even care about them, is b/c I was very close to my grandmother growing up. That's where "please/thank you/ your welcome/ excuse" cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, don't talk w/ your mouth full, etc came from. She was a very prim and proper lady.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
manners aside...I'd have kicked that woman in the head...it sounds like she coughed on you on purpose and that is DISGUSTING

I also you hope you start to feel better, everyone in my family just got over a bad cold/flu thing

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Um, I got off of my little rant and forgot to tell you I hope you recover quickly. I've had this crap off and on for almost 4 weeks now and it sucks. You should've spayed lysol in a cloud all around you, lol!
Seriously. I WOULD DO THIS!! All I could picture was taking a can of lysol and spraying it in the air. I suggest taking one with you next time. It takes people like that to teach them that hey you know what, maybe I am a little nuts to drag the entire family along while they are spewing germs all over everyone...in the meantime, dad still annoys me lol!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mother and I were talking about this again today, she isn't sick (yet) which is good. She has lupus which is an auto immune problem so she usualy gets ill easily and quickly. She reminded me that on base at the military hopsital children are NOT allowed in the OB's offices. Period. You also can't bring anyone except your sick child into the pediactric ward. They say it is to prevent things from spreading around. I don't know if all bases are like this but Makes sense to me! My first thought with today's convo with momma was what about the people who are comming in for their final visit and have their newborn with them. I can understand the arguement to leave that baby at home but the office isn't in the main part of the hopsital so it's a little less germy. Plus the you and the staff spend several long months working together on this whole baby making project and it's nice for them to get to see the end result if possible. So I can also understand wanting to bring the baby with you. You don't need nasty little right out of public school or day care kids coughing and hacking all over the waiting room and giving lord knows what to your 6 week old baby. I asked John if there were any offical hospital P&P's on this sort of thing and he didn't know. I wish he had been there, he would have been in uniform AND would most definitly have been less polite in addressing the matter.

Haha harley chick, my manners matter is a slightly novel idea these days. I swear though, I'll be realy really lucky to avoid jail time the first time my kid spits at me or bites me or throws a serious temper tantrum in walmart. I just know I'll grab my kid byt the shirt collar and march him out of the store and some liberal goober will report me for abuse. If I toed the line when I was a kid and did something serious I got in big trouble. Non of this think about what you've done while you sit here and color nonsense. I don't think you should beat your kids to within an inch of thier lives, tempting as it might become, or anything but the punishment should fit the crime so to speak. If you color on the wall during an art project, ok thats a time out maybe. If you throw your crayons at mom and rip the drapes down off the wall because you were pissed at being given a time out... Well, thats a whole different matter and you might want to make sure you can run faster than I can. I'm not going to try and kill him, (god knows it's been hard enough just getting him here) but I'm might make him think that I am.

I've slept away most of the weekend and I do kind of feel a tiny bit better tonight. Last night I was running a fever :( and had to call in again about that. One of the nurses is going to call me first thing Monday as I understand it to check. I don't have a fever now, back to normal on that front anyway thankgoodness. Fever can be BAD the way I hear it.
Only a couple of cramps today, which I think are more like those early milder contractions than the cramps I was experiencing before that started this whole OMG be worried situation last week. They definitly feel different. Before it was a steady pain that wouldn't go away, like somebody beat you up or you pulled a muscle and were sore. Kind of felt like what you feel between bad cramps during that time of the month. There IS something to be said for being pregger... I don't miss that little monthly test in the least. Yesterday's weren't like that at all, they were stabbing pain just in one spot that was quick and sharp. Enough to make you take a deep breath but didn't last long enough for you to say ouch. It happened about 10 times in 45 minutes and then stopped pretty much. The nurse at the birthing center said to write them down so Doc. could see them and so could I. I'm supposed to take notice of any pain or cramping like that which occures more than 6 times in an hour or doesn't go away when I change position or something like that. I took a warm shower and they stopped and then Nicholas started beating me to death from the inside... LoL. He really likes, or dislikes orange juice it seems. It's always garenteed to get a reaction. I'm still coughing but thankfuly it isn't uncontrolable or anything. It that awful hacking cough though that makes everyone thing you're dying. Nicholas doesn't like coughing, I usualy get a good kick or two. Like he's saying "Hey!!! knock that off, I'm sleeping in here!"

Yay though, John FINALY got to feel him kick this afernoon, after a glass of O.J. and a coughing fit Cletus got very active. He's been grinning all day and is trying to touch my tummy now whenever he can. He even kind of rocked it back and forth this evening while I was on the couch, which yeilded such an unpleasant result he won't do it again I can promise lol. I can now also add yet another food to the list of things to NEVER EVER eat if you might have even the slightest chance to throwing them back up. :( No wonder I'm losing weight, my list of no go foods is getting pretty long LoL.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
That is exactly why I don't have children... and stay away from friends who do have children starting the first of october thru march.
My friends with children are ALWAYS sick during this time of the year... kids are germ factories!!!!
They did a study a couple of years back on the most germ infested places in the world... the worst was a kindergarden/daycare centers and playgrounds.

IMO at least 70% of the worlds parents are people who should never have had children. (sorry, my pet peeve is bad parenting! and I've seen more than my fair share of it)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
OT, but another thing that I don't get is people who drag tiny babies all over the place. I went to a bull riding event last month about the time swine flu was starting to go around here and there were several people w/ babies that couldn't have 2 months old. The place was packed and the babies were exposed not only to germs but loads of dust and smoke (from the fireworks).:bird: I remember being little and most people w/ babies hardly left the house before they were 6 weeks, now everyone drags them Walmart several times a week.

I like your idea on parenting WP. I taught school for a couple of years (as a sub) and we'd be better off if more people thought like you. When you have 25 kids, including 4 or 5 special needs kids who are falling between the cracks, you don't have time to for a lengthy explaination for why they should sit quietly and do their work. You can't babysit one kid to make sure they finish time out. That's why I quit, I can't take seeing kids suffer b/c integrating the special needs kids is PC, putting up w/ parents who are more concerned w/ their social life than their kids or people who think their kids shouldn't have manners. It's just ridiculous and that's only the parents, the administrators are a whole different can of worms.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
OT, but another thing that I don't get is people who drag tiny babies all over the place.
IA!! Went to a family wedding in Colorado in September. The couple had a dance w/DJ after the wedding and the music was FREAKIN' LOUD!! I had a pair of lightweight corduroy slacks on and the booming bass made the slacks pulse against my legs as I was sitting down - I could actually SEE my pant legs moving because of the volume of the music!

Someone had a two month old baby there and they stayed for the whole dance!!! I have to believe that wasn't very good for the tiny baby's eardrums... I know it wasn't good for my 45 year old eardrums - I was partially deaf until the next morning!!! (But only when my husband was talking...) :) (Just kidding, honey!!) Mwah!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha Harley I taught preshool for two years and did a lot of interning in public school and one two week HELL in public daycare while I was working on my early childrhood/education degree. That was when I realized I HATED kids and dropped the be a teacher idea. I still have all the certifications that I can fall back on if I need them which is nice but ewwww I hope I don't ever need them lol.

I don't get why people drag tiny babies everywhere either, although sometimes it's probably because they don't have anyone to watch them. Still though stay home from the rodeo or the wedding... I asked friends and family with small children to please find a sitter for my wedding. They were welcome at the recepion but NOT at the cermony. Woudn't you know it that John's friend and his wife, who had gotten married two weeks before us, brought their demon 18 mo old anyway. I didn't notice at the time but everyone else did and all you can hear on the video is the baby. Ugh.

That said I've already told my doctor that she needs to be prepaed to either induce me if I'm late or hold off delivery if need be b/c I AM going to our local dog show and I AM showing Wonder. So I can either do it with a newborn (I'll have to work the show anyway since I'm a club member and volenteer to sit at the trophy table for a little while) or I can do it hugely pregnant and overdue. I'm hoping for doing it with a newborn personaly. I'd like to show him off to the other club member and handler friends that I haven't been able to see much this past year. Hehehe, Plus Im having a onsey custom made that says "Bred By Exhibitor" for him to wear to the show. Might even dig out an old ribbon and pin it to his carrier. LoL, YEAH SEEE, I told you I'm going to be an iffy parent... but how can I resist something like that? My warped sense of humor just won't allow it.

Nicholas is also have customs made that read; mustang baby, Best of Breed, Groomer Jr., and Handler in Training, and I found one ready made that I'm getting that says My daddy drives a 'stang. I'm going to get John that one for christmas. I wonder if I should get him one that says Wonder baby... or maybe demon child or Spawn.... Hehehe maybe he needs a Cletus t-Shirt!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I showed your sugggestion to my husband and he just rolled his eyes. He says to tell you thats NOT helping. LoL He's trying to get me to knock off on the idea of custom printed baby clothes with funny sayings. Says I'm the only one who thinks they are funny. What does he know??

Ugh, I think my cold is getting worse. I thought I was getting better or at least keeping it under control. All evening though I have been coughing and coughing and coughing I could hardly eat dinner I was afraid I'd choke. it's 1:30 in the morning and I can't get any sleep because of it. I have to get up at 5:30 because I have a client comming at a quater till 6 to drop her spoo off for grooming. Thankgod he's a dayboader. I usualy stick him in the kennel in my bedroom and go back to bed for a couple hours before getting started on him. I did a bunch of cleaning today, I'm on a bit of a cleaning frenzy, and I think I stirred up enough dust to stop my head up which isn't helping matters either.
Whats really bad about the constant cough is that Nicholas is squishing my bladder as it is. Even right after going to the bathroom if I have a coughing fit or sneeze hard... well lets just say it's an annoying little pregancy/cold perk :doh: I'll let you figure out the details on your own. No fun, no fun at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't have any children of my own but I am a big fan of children with manners. I live on a small compound in the middle of nowhere, where everyone is in each others pockets and there is no where to escape and the thing that annoys me most is being told "what do you know, you don't have any children" if I so much as comment on a childs bad behavior. I even got an angry parent banging on my door because I told her 6 year old boy not to pee in my garden! I was out of order apparently.

Sounds like your going to be a great parent.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't imagine NOT telling a child not to pee in my garden... what was that parent thinking??? Actualy I can't imagine not hosing the kid with the sprayer on the water hose for something like that. I'll go on ahead and admit I did hose the neighbors kids over the summer for teasing the dogs through the fence. Just kind of pretended I was watering my garden and then it was like "oops sorry did I get ya?" I had to do it on two seperate days but they got the point and stopped after that.

Hummm, while we're teaching kids manners how about we teach some to a couple adults... It's a tad after 6am and I am up waiting for my favorite poodle client to drop her dog off so I can go to bed and get an hour or so of sleep... She was supposed to be here at 5:45... it's now 6:10.... Ugh, I don't think I've ever seen her for her 5:45 am drop off before 6:15 so why I bother getting up I dunno?? I haven't actualy been to sleep yet, I coughed ALL night long :( It's just now getting a bit better so I was kind of hopeful for an hour or two before I groomed him. *Sigh* Can't wait to hear what the excuse is this morning....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts