Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a good friend of mine ask me to babysit her son for the evening.... She is like an adoptive mother to me and as I've gotten older she is more a friend. Her daughter is my age (early 20's) and was my best friend growing up. Her son, is 8 years old and I think he is out of control most of the time. He is always good for me though and I didn't think twice when she asked for my time tonight.

Hubby and I picked him up form his martial arts class and we were supposed to grab him something for dinner, take him home and let him feed the dogs and see that he gets to bed at 8:00. Doesn't sound so bad. Well so we pick him up and he wants to get food and eat it on the way home. Little kids eating in the back of my husband's pride and joy mustang wasn't going to happen. Ry was a little bumbed but he got over it when he realized it really wasn't up for debate. So he wants to go to Burger King for dinner and we agree'ed that was fine. He asks if he can play in that playground thing they have and I didnt see an issue with that. Welllllllll I don't have kids right, and now I remember why. I understand the concept of the playground and yay for kids who get to play on it but who's idea was it to enclose said playground inside a little tiny glass room?? Also who's came up with the idea that it would be cool to make a slide out of a big tube? What the hell?? Were this person's kids not loud enough and they felt like they needed to enclose the screams in a little room where of course they bounce off the walls.... And just in case that doesn't make your eye twitch and they add lots of little tubes and such for enhancing the screams. Wonderful. Is that supposed to be your punishment as a parent?? I think they should put that in the video they show you in school to try and scare you away from boys and the possibilty of getting pregnate.
I put up with it for about half and hour and then I'd had enough and had to go. Naturaly it took another 10 minutes to get shoes on and tied and finish up our french fries before we could go.

Oh but it gets better :) We get to the house to find that surprise we are locked out. It's stroming here tonight so it only took about 5 seconds to decide that we were taking Ry back to our house and his parental unit could pick him up and sorry he won't be in bed by 8.

Welllll you gotta understand that 1) we don't have kids and so there are come gaps in our dog's socialization 2)Ry is a louder and bouncier than average kid. Soooo He walks in our house right behind me (after being asked to hang on so I could put Howie, who I KNOW doesnt like children outside), and proceeds to start screaming "look at the doggie, HI HOWIE!!! HI PUPPY!!!!" Meanwhile Howie, in my arms, is a little nervous and barks once or twice and so Ry screams louder "HI HOWIE, IT'S OK, IT'S OK, IT'S OK, IT'S OK, IT'S OK...." He then starts to run through the kitchen and into the living room where he encounters Jazz who is at this point a little freaky with all the screaming and Howie's two barks. Of course Hubby is NO help, and I'm trying to put Howie out before he pee's all over the place and at the same time trying to wrangle Ry and shut him up before anything can go wrong. Too late, Jazz chased him back into the kitchen and he is now convinced that she bit him. I know she didn't since she didn't get close enough to touch him before I called her but he proceeds to start screaming ' BAD DOG, BAD DOGS, BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!!" omg SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stick both dogs outside and double check that Jazz didn't really bite him, never hurts to double check after all, and then go outside to call his parents and tell them where we are. The advice on the other end of the phone was " just lay him down on the couch and see if you can get him to go to sleep" LoL, Yeah right. Hubby has him in the spare room playing battleship on the nintindo lol . In fact he just ran out here to scream at me that he has sunk the enemy ship... Jazz is on the couch with me now totaly freaked. Fantastic. I can't control Ry well enough to try and show Jazz that he doesn't mean any harm soooo I guess we can just write this one off as a bad experience with kids, which sucks. Hopefuly she won't carry it over to any of kids she encounters.

I've had a really long day at work, two standard poodles that toook all day to peel them out of their matted coats, poor babies. Then two little dogs that I love dearly but are both noisey and a bit of a pain in the butt to groom, and now all the kids and screaming at the burger kind and in the house.... My head wants to explode. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
poor WonderPup, and your poor dogs. I really and truly do believe that most dogs are better behaved then a lot of children. I guess the child really wasn't really being bad, but sounded like a very anxious, loud one, and your poor dogs just didn't understand what or why you brought this child into their home. I really feel for you after a long hard day at work, and then THIS. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whole thing is really kind of funny now... well now that has gone home anyway.

He really normaly IS loud around his mother and has some difficulty controling himself in school but for me he has always been calm or at the very least easy to get a handle on. He has ALWAYS behaved around the dogs, I can't believe how he started screaming and yelling around my dogs. He's grown up around dogs, his mother breeds whippets and they currently have 6 of them and an Irish wolfhound and when my best friend,(his older sister), comes home for a visit she brings her wolfhound. He knows how he's supposed to act! I can't count the number of shows, training classes, k-9 public education events, and field trials he's been too. He knows better than that, I guess he got over excited and just sort of lost his mind. It doesn't help that it's crazy bad weather here so the dog's are on edge anyway, I would imagine that he's been couped up all day in school and inside after school that he wasn't able to burn off some of that energy before this evening. LoL, Little boys I guess....

Oh well, it's quiet now and thats a bit of a relief.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
What a day for sure! Glad the little guy went home and now you have some peace and quiet.

About the Poodle size question....Standard's are supposed to be the calmest of the three sizes. My close girl friend has a toy Poodle named baby and she is a doll. I however, favor miniature and Standards opposed to toy Poodles (just my opinion). I just like a larger dog rather then tiny one.

Oh..... I just remembered that I did briefy fall in love with this beautiful silver toy Poodle that was being held like a baby in her owner's arms at the cow palace show. She was one of the toy Poodle's there for show and she was adorable. She was a exception I guess but she was a silver... which I love.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow...sounds like my sisters 7 yr old son. Every family outing we go to he is WIRED the whole time. I am so sorry that your poor Jazz and Howie had to go through a kid like that!

I bet picking him up right after martial arts class was part of the problem...my normally VERY well behaved son is ALWAYS riled up after any type of sports practice.

Of course you don't know that and not all kids are like that...one would think after 30-60 minutes of exercise followed by a full stomach then more play would tire a child out, but ummm no, not an 8 yr old boy!

I am sure the mother didn't think about that or she would have fed him first then off to practice to burn of food energy.

I HATE those indoor play grounds...you can bet those of us with kids all hate them and their designer. Food never gets ate...they want to play...and the noise? Oh yes...we prefer to take the food to a local park, but if the weather is bad we suffer through it with 3 kids....our solution is we play for 30 minutes first, then eat...then 15 more minutes of play. I slam down my food in 15 minutes and we end up at a fast food restaurant for over an hour! LOL

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LoL, I was expecting to have to give him the evil eye in order to make him eat before he went to play, he surprised me though and hogged down the burger and some of the fries right away. Guess he was hungry. LoL.

After he tramua of the indorr playground I'm thinking the local park is the way to go. When I was growing up the playground was outside and then when I was almost to old to play on it they moved it inside and made it all plastic. LoL, remeber the wooden McD's playground?? I was almost never allowed to play on it though. My mother probably couldn't stand it. She wouldn't even let me eat int he playground area. Smart lady probably.

·
Registered
339 Posts
lol..... I noticed you did answer maddiek question. I hope everyone survived the trauma of the babysitting. My girls don't care for little people because of this very reason. Kids!:banghead:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LoL ok Yorkie here goes then :)

We've been trying to start a family. I told hubby though that if I wasn't expecting by the time I was 25 then he could forget it.... My birthday was in October so he has until the next one when I turn 26. It's been hard to find time for baby making to be honest. I dunno, there may be a problem since we've been trying (though not as often as we could be) and still no baby on the way. I was terrified this month because I was very very late and the little test thingy kept saying negative.... I know my sister is having trouble concieving, well stepsister. Personaly I think it's because we aren't unmarried highschool students anymore. Seems like half the girls in my senior class were either expecting or already had children... something in the water perhaps??? LoL. None of those girls was trying to have children back then.

Oh well, I think after the whole burger king expereince and then this weekend having to be around somebody elses out of control son I think I would rather just have another dog. At least when you need a break from your dog you can stick them in the backyard to go potty or put them in a crate. Can't put a little kid in a crate... the state kind of frowns on that I believe.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My 2 yr old son does the same thing...we have one crate and he will get in it and close the door. He can't latch it from the inside and he will just take his toys in there and play with them. I guess he is pretending its a cave perhaps? LOL

I don't make him get out...he normally will come out on his own or if I bring over a toy to play with that works better outside the crate. But I do think that something a simple as a picture of him in it with the door open could be seen as WRONG WRONG WRONG by some ppl so that is why I would never post a picture of him doing it. Some people don't have anything better to do then pick on innocent people...

I came from a high school where the pregnancy rate for our class (starting as freshman in 94) was over 60% So I can identify with all these people getting pregnant around you and you wanting nothing to do with all that! I didn't have my 1st until I was 21, waited another 5 yrs before the next...then oops 18 months after the second we had the 3rd. I wouldn't change a thing about it, our youngest is definitely his mothers son!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LoL, Ry used to play in the whippet's crate and his parents never did purchase a baby play pen. They had so many dog x-pens that they just used one of those and that way they could make it whatever shape and size they wanted. Just spread a quilt out on the floor and viola.

I do agree that some people would freak out seeing photos of kids in cages.... though some kids probably belong there.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
But I do think that something a simple as a picture of him in it with the door open could be seen as WRONG WRONG WRONG by some ppl so that is why I would never post a picture of him doing it. Some people don't have anything better to do then pick on innocent people...
I would say I'm the opposite... I'll post it just to see the reaction people give me! Will probably have child services knock on my door the next day!!!! :tongue:

After reading this thread I feel REAL old! I'm hitting my 30's - not married, no boyfriend and no kids... and here everyone in their early 20's are posting about starting a family and high school kids having kids! AWKWARD!!!

:faint:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After reading this thread I feel REAL old! I'm hitting my 30's - not married, no boyfriend and no kids... and here everyone in their early 20's are posting about starting a family and high school kids having kids! AWKWARD!!!

:faint:
Don't feel old, I say you're just smarter than the rest of us maybe? I love my hubby dearly but I really don't think we weren't 100% ready to get married. I think mostly we did it because we were moving in together and my family being the good southern christians that they would like the world to beleive they are had a real problem with that. I won't say that they pushed us into it but I think they probably had a lot to do with us. LoL, I took my revenage though and when john and I decided to tie the knot (this decision was made over the phone... lol nice huh- real romantic), I left a post it note on my mother's desk by her phone that read " J and L wedding date -11-11-07"
That left just over three months to plan ROFL - I wish I could have been there to see her face when she read it!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts