Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every night before settling in for bed, I always let Belle out at least 2 times to make sure she's completely done going potty for the night.

Well thanks to stupid me starting a 3 hour movie at 9:30, I was a little late with our ritual and finally got to let her out at 12:00!!

Now I'm not scared of no boogie man or vampire or werewolf crap out here in the country where I live. I'm more concerned about the coyotes in the corn field across the street!! :bolt:

I know that they won't go after me, but I've heard rumors in this area of small dogs turning up missing due to coyotes.

Not only that but I've also heard rumors of them being carried off by owls!! :faint2:

So here I am, 12:00 at night getting ready for bed. I take her out and everything's peachy. She strolls on out there in our yard, pees then sniffs around. Now usually I know she has to poop too, sometimes she'll head back in and I get our bed ready then take her back out and she'll poop. So I go ahead and decide to head back in since she's taking forever, got our bed ready and took her back out.

Now things started gettin' spooky! Belle wanders out a little far out into our yard away from me. She kept jerkin her head up looking towards the trees, then towards the corn field, sniffed some more, then jerked her head back up again. Naturally around this time I hear a frickin' owl but didn't really worry myself too much since it sounded distant, but good gosh way to whip up a flippin horror scene eh?

So I know we have all kinds of critters out here, so I just kept watching Belle trying to clear my mind of the worst possible situation. But Belle just kept acting so uneasy, so I started looking around a bit more and sure enough. Across the street in my neighbor's yard I see a set of glowing eyes staring Belle down. With no idea what the heck that is I walk out to Belle, and the creature took off!! I have no doubt in my mind that was a coyote!! I stayed by Belle, she never went potty, but the twig cracking in the trees told me to get the heck back inside!! I snagged her up and hit the door! :bolt:

So, if she had to go, she should've went a little faster cuz now I'm making her hold it! :ahhhhh:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
You scared me!! And I'm just going to bed and will probably have nightmares! LOL

Seriously, that is a pretty scary story. We have creatures here too that you don't want to meet in the dark as we live in the woods. :spider: But, I have never had any big, bad anything scare me like that.

Poor girl probably doesn't have to go anymore anyway! LOL

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
LMAO!!!! Trista the brave LMAO!!! JK, really there has been cases where toys have been carried off by owls, hawks and even vultures around here, so ya it can get scary lol. We have ALOT of all 3 around here and I have not had any problems with them, but I still worry sometimes. I would let her go out to go potty, but if you are worried about her being carried off, then take her on a lead if it is late and stick close. A bird of prey is less likely to swoop down for a pup that is on a lead next to a larger "animal".

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
So every night before settling in for bed, I always let Belle out at least 2 times to make sure she's completely done going potty for the night.

Well thanks to stupid me starting a 3 hour movie at 9:30, I was a little late with our ritual and finally got to let her out at 12:00!!

Now I'm not scared of no boogie man or vampire or werewolf crap out here in the country where I live. I'm more concerned about the coyotes in the corn field across the street!! :bolt:

I know that they won't go after me, but I've heard rumors in this area of small dogs turning up missing due to coyotes.

Not only that but I've also heard rumors of them being carried off by owls!! :faint2:

So here I am, 12:00 at night getting ready for bed. I take her out and everything's peachy. She strolls on out there in our yard, pees then sniffs around. Now usually I know she has to poop too, sometimes she'll head back in and I get our bed ready then take her back out and she'll poop. So I go ahead and decide to head back in since she's taking forever, got our bed ready and took her back out.

Now things started gettin' spooky! Belle wanders out a little far out into our yard away from me. She kept jerkin her head up looking towards the trees, then towards the corn field, sniffed some more, then jerked her head back up again. Naturally around this time I hear a frickin' owl but didn't really worry myself too much since it sounded distant, but good gosh way to whip up a flippin horror scene eh?

So I know we have all kinds of critters out here, so I just kept watching Belle trying to clear my mind of the worst possible situation. But Belle just kept acting so uneasy, so I started looking around a bit more and sure enough. Across the street in my neighbor's yard I see a set of glowing eyes staring Belle down. With no idea what the heck that is I walk out to Belle, and the creature took off!! I have no doubt in my mind that was a coyote!! I stayed by Belle, she never went potty, but the twig cracking in the trees told me to get the heck back inside!! I snagged her up and hit the door! :bolt:

So, if she had to go, she should've went a little faster cuz now I'm making her hold it! :ahhhhh:
I'm soooooo glad we have a fenced in yard!

·
Registered
183 Posts
One of my min poos was attacked by a racoon at midnight in the past

My dh had let him out to potty and not chaperoned him and we had to take him to the ER in the night to get patched up.

It was awful. I could see his muscle exposed over his eye and on his back.:bolt:

I never let my dogs out without a long training leash at night since then (so they stay withing 15 feet of me and I have control over pulling them in).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dh had let him out to potty and not chaperoned him and we had to take him to the ER in the night to get patched up.

It was awful. I could see his muscle exposed over his eye and on his back.:bolt:

I never let my dogs out without a long training leash at night since then (so they stay withing 15 feet of me and I have control over pulling them in).
Training leash wow I never thought of that i should try that. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts