Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they follow you from room to room? Harry does but he's always done that. He can be dead asleep and wake up and follow me to another room to lay down and go back to sleep. I just thought this was poodle behavior but was told that's unusual for a standard poodle.:wacko:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol, given the chance Paris follows me everywhere too. I often get up, she promptly jumps up from her sleep too, and I'll either say nothing so she'll follow, or I'll down her again and leave her behind. She's happy to be left if I tell her to, but is happier following... :p

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Not real clingy. He does follow behind a good bit but he goes off and plays too without needing to have us there. Once he lays down, he is out! This may be a puppy thing but he doesn't get rattled by much right now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lucy does follow me too. She'll take her toys, chew or whatever and follow me when I leave the room most of the time. If I'm somewhere for awhile she might leave but comes back. My other poodles always did that too so I thought it was normal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cisko follows me from room to room and watches everything I do. The others follow me around as well! Phoebe is more independent though, Rocky follows because he thinks a treat might be involved, Jaxxon follows because he's afraid the others may get something or do something without him, and Ryder just wants to be close to me right now. I have a very small kitchen so it can get cramped in there real quick LOL!

I wouldn't say any of my dogs are clingy. Jaxxon and Phoebe can be a bit demanding for affection though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not clingy imo...i like my dog to know where i am at all times because i like to know where my dog is at all times. He will also wake up and follow me if i leave a room and at work i have him come into the bathroom with me so i know hwere he is lol...
He also sleeps on my bed and in the morning when i get up he will bounce up and is ready to go for the day. I usually tell him to lay back down or stay if i dont want himt o come. He is happy to listen to this because my dogs usually hang out and sleep some more while i get ready in the morning especially my 14.5 year old girl. She is more like a cat now....sleeps ALL the time! Its so funny, and she has to sleep on the bed with me right next to me so i can keep her warm. Old dogs are the best.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Unless she is playing outside, Saffy is my shadow. On big off lead walks, Saffy will stick beside me most of the time, and when she run off, she'll always keep one eye on me, and run back etc.
Inside, I get up, Saffy gets up, I go to the toilet, Saffy comes and waits outside. What I love doing is getting her to wait, and then going and hiding somewhere (we have a big house) and then calling her. She goes absolutely nuts trying to find me, it's so funny, I'll get a video sometime. But yes it is typical of poodles to be your shadow, they are more like people than dogs, as I'm sure you will all understand.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
It depends on what they are doing but Yes generaly speaking they do get up and at least see where I am going. If I go into a room they aren't allowed in they stand there and look offended and then wander off to cause trouble lol. Left to her own devices Jazz would be in your lap 24/7 and Saleen could would want to be in the same general area but doing her own thing, (like counter surfing lol)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Oh yes Desmond does that too :) He will wake up from a nice nap to follow me to the kitchen/bathroom and I feel bad for making him get up haha. He always comes with me and then lays right back down where ever I went to... it's really cute.
But offlead or outside is a different story. He's too interested in the outside world to be next to me the entire time. He's usually on the opposite side of the DP from me hahah. He will come to me if I squat and call his name, but otherwise hardly interacts with me at the parks.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Betty Jo usually follows me around the house unless she is being rubbed by someone else or something exciting is happening elsewhere (especially if there is food involved lol). Sport will come and check up and see where I've gone to if I'm gone from a room for a few. Jenny usually doesn't follow me as often tho as I'm typing this all three are laying around the room with me. I've got to say they all do want to know what I'm up to it might involve food. Or worse yet I might be going into the bathroom and my dogs are sure there is a secret escape from there. They all have to check up on me lol.

Its different at the dog park Betty Jo keeps the closest tabs on when when she isn't on the dead run exploring that is. Sport and Jenny check in from time to time but are much too busy to hang out with me for long (so many dogs to greet and people to welcome to the park)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Most of mine end up where I am. I don't even notice it anymore, it's like a giant poodle rug moving from room to room. The oldsters don't so much, Ali, Paper and Trouble pretty much plant, and thats where they stay.
Keeps me on my toes, I have to step over 5 or 6 poodles whenever I move to another room.
Carole

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Holly is not nearly or attentive or shadowing me as Thinker is. He used to be the same with my Mom. Doesn't care a hoot about where my male partner is in the house, but wants to know my every move. If I am at the desk, he is not content to be in the same room, but has to be under it laying at my feet. If I am having a bth, he is usually in the room laying on the bath mat waiting for me (unless one of the Whippets, who are seeking warmth beat him to the punch, then he lies right outside the room soo he doesn't miss anything.

They are called velcro dogs. I guess they just love the company of their humans.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have to confess something: I have not been to the bathroom alone in my own house in approximately 15 years. None of the pets I have had (3 cats and 1 dog) in that time period have trusted me to come back out when finished.

Actually, I make Teddy come with me to the ladies room at work so that I know where he is and what he's doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts