Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an observation.. Hannah (poodle) won't eat without her younger sister Bella (Chihuahua mix) close to her. Hannah is definitely the more dominant of the 2, and doesn't hesitate to steal treats from Bella; but won't eat unless Bella is interested in eating as well. They'll literally take turns eating out of the same food bowl while the other waits patiently. Love my silly dogs!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
This made me think of Stella, my poodle mix. She has always been an iffy eater. She would much rather play than eat. But ever since I brought Oscar home 5 weeks ago, she eats like there's no tomorrow. I feed them close together, and once I put her bowl down, she eats very quickly now. I've always fed her and Zekefur in separate rooms, and there was just no interest before.

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Poppy just eats - practically anything, anywhere, anytime, from anyone who offers it! I have to feed Sophy in a separate room, as Poppy bolts her own meal then stares at Sophy's every carefully chewed mouthful. Sophy made it very clear early on that she prefers to eat in peace!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Yes! I discovered Maizie eats much better if she's close to Frosty. I originally gave them lots of space, thinking they would prefer that, but they really like the closeness. So cute.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
My little Gracie would eat a single kibble at a time—literally carrying it across the room, dropping it on the carpet, eating it very deliberately, and then casually sauntering back for another piece. If she was extra hungry, she might carry a mouthful at a time, but otherwise the same drawn out routine.

This went on for the first 7 years of her life, until I left her with my parents while visiting my boyfriend for a month, and then unexpectedly got married and began the immigration process. I wasn't allowed to cross back into Canada into I had my green card, so Gracie ended up with my parents and their little pack of dogs for almost a full 6 months.

Well let's just say that after that experience she NEVER ate another leisurely meal again. She would inhale a bowl of breakfast kibble like she'd not eaten in weeks!! It was impressive, and a bit scary.

We eventually got her a maze-style slow feeder bowl, and that slowed her down a bit, but not much. I still can't believe that living with other dogs transformed her in such a big, permanent way. I think she always imagined those other dogs looking over her shoulder, just waiting for a chance to swoop in.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Louie who doesn't have siblings likes to eat dinner when we do...and generally he is a picky eater - who likes to eat really late in the day..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts