Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
So far, so good with mine. I live in DC where a lot of people live in the DC/MD/VA area and work for the Federal Govt. The traffic is lighter during rush hour.

At my school, I am concerned about the families who receive SNAP benefits, particularly food stamps. Thankfully those are being given out early this month for February.

I don't see a compromise anytime soon b/c I don't see either side budging partially from the need to save face on both sides, along with it being a complicated issue.

This was interesting:

Short PBS video with Judy Woodruff: "Why many stores can鈥檛 accept food stamps during the shutdown"

Premium Member
My dear friend is on food stamps. Evidently will be getting Feb's later this month, but after that, who knows? She is worried. Also for the first time, she received a letter that she would not get a waiver for medicare as she gets SSI benefits. Previously she has not had to pay for medicare and that is a huge expense for her. She has tried repeatedly to get SSI and Medicare on the phone to discuss/appeal this situation - but guess what, they are not returning her phone messages. Sorry, but damn Trump.

Premium Member
I am unaffected, but am concerned for students at my campus starting next week. There are many who receive federally based financial aid. I am not sure what will happen to their aid and don't know what our admins are planning as ways to help them be able to continue their educations.

Reactions: Vita and Streetcar

Premium Member
My sister works for a contractor to the Federal Government. Their project is already funded, so she still has a paycheck but she has shared some sad stories about others. It鈥檚 not uncommon for both wage earners in a household in VA, MD or DC to work for the government or as a contractor. This could be ended by the Senate which I reminded my senator who will be up for re-election in 2020. I suggested he override a presidential veto and this vanity wall. A majority of Texans don鈥檛 want a wall. We understand that it has to be a combination of personnel, barricades and technology. Personnel who deserve to be paid!

Premium Member
Mfmst, both of my senators are democrats (we have Chuck of Chuck and Nancy) and my congressman is also a democrat (my part of Long Island is very blue). But certainly those of you all in red states with republican senators should all put pressure on them to get Mitch McConnell to come out of his hidey hole and bring some bills to the floor. If he would let votes happen I betcha they would get a veto proof majority.

I've been to Big Bend National Park and stood on the banks of the Rio Grande and looked into Mexico. I didn't notice hoards of murderers, violent gangs, people throwing bricks of drugs into the US. I did notice a beautiful natural area where wildlife needs to be able to move freely and a wall would [email protected]#k up the view. I don't think there is a single person in this nation who doesn't want good border security and fair immigration opportunities, but there are many millions who don't want a 2000 mile long wall that can be climbed over, tunneled under or had a door cut into it (all of those things have happened around existing border barriers). Smart surveillance at the border, fair processing of asylum seekers and some compassionate assistance to Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador to help people be able to thrive in their home nations rather than risking life and limb to come here seems like a much better way to spend 5.7 B$.

And don't get me started on not paying people for their work or furloughing them and telling them to hire out to the gig economy as baby sitters and dog walkers. Those jobs already have people working them.

Registered
As a Canadian I don鈥檛 know anyone but everyday when I read the papers or social media, I can鈥檛 help but feel deep sympathy for those affected. And anger and sadness about what is happening to our neighbor鈥檚 democracy.

Registered
My daughter is a professor at the US Merchant Marine Academy, so she is not getting paid. She says that she is supposed to eventually get the back pay but that non-professional staff will not. That is just immoral!

I live in New Mexico, and most New Mexicans are strongly opposed to any barrier that prevents wildlife from moving through their territories or cuts off water supplies. We already have a big ugly wall on part of our border. Disgusting.

Both our senators and all three of our representatives are Democrats.

Catherine, you are absolutely correct.

Registered
My daughter is a federal employee and has to work without getting a paycheck. She鈥檚 lucky because her husband isn鈥檛 a federal employee so he has a paycheck and my daughter is a professor teaching evening classes so she has income from that. They are dipping into savings to make up the difference; for now she鈥檚 okay. She鈥檚 upper management and she along with others are taking turns preparing and bringing in food for the employees who make minimum wage and are suffering the worst. She says morale at work is awful.

I hope it鈥檚 resolved soon without any wall. The employees shouldn鈥檛 be held hostage for any political issue.

Registered
A bit of an aside relating to The Wall. I recently saw some current episodes of Parts Unknown. One featured Texas, the other featured East LA. The Texas episode showed families on both sides of the border speaking of the 300 year combined history of their lands. In the LA episode, the young man simply stated that if migrants were all deported and kept out, who would be left to build the wall?

Registered
I work in the food business - working very closely with many local famers. I see the heartbreak up close when they have fields full of crops ready to harvest and not enough man power to harvest anything. Basically they have to watch the crop rot. My employees are all Mexican (with some exceptions) I have been trying to hire more people for two months but cannot get anybody to answer my ads - the fear and suspicions runs really deep right now in the Mexican community. Any body who thinks immigration is not important to sustain an economy doesn't understand Economics 101. Also most of our drugs come in trough ports - which are extremely understaffed (I sometimes have to wait many extra weeks to get supplies through ports - another problem for a small business). Most of illegal immigration comes via air - so I guess we need a roof next... Walls don't work = just ask the Chinese they tried that 400 years ago...

Registered
My dear friend is on food stamps. Evidently will be getting Feb's later this month, but after that, who knows? She is worried. Also for the first time, she received a letter that she would not get a waiver for medicare as she gets SSI benefits. Previously she has not had to pay for medicare and that is a huge expense for her. She has tried repeatedly to get SSI and Medicare on the phone to discuss/appeal this situation - but guess what, they are not returning her phone messages. Sorry, but damn Trump.
It is not just Trump the democrats are just as responsible for not coming to negotiations. Under other Presidents the democrats wanted the wall, the fight is now just over hating Trump whatever he wants

Registered
Those in the blue states need to speak with their representative and get them to negotiate, they won't show up to meetings. I am the first one to say we need immigration and we need them here and I doubt anyone has a problem with them coming here legally, but not illegally. We cannot take care of the entire world, we have people here that need help and cannot get it. The elderly, the single mom with a deadbeat dads/husband, the mentally challenged, these people need taken care of first. This country is made up mostly of immigrants, whos fathers, grandfather and back further come here. We need a wall, technology, man power, if walls don't work why are there so many constructed. Why did the democrats approve money for walls in prior years, and speak that we needed them (old videos of , Chuck, Nancy, Bill Clinton and Hilary all said we need to control immigrations

Premium Member
There are parts of the southern border where barriers are needed and for the most part those barriers are in those locales, but may need repairs. And yes both democrats and republicans supported that fence building, but a solid wall over the whole border is just a s*&t show idea.

Moni you are correct to point out that most people here as undocumented/illegal came by air. They didn't come illegally since you need a valid visa to get on a plane. They overstayed their visas and became undocumented because they didn't go home.

Reactions: Nigel

Premium Member
It's truly terrifying to realize how many people really are a few missed paychecks away from disaster. I've contacted my senators and house representative and asked them to fix this mess. Quit trying to score political points while using government workers as hostages. It's disgusting.

Registered
I was in the middle of selling my house to a federal employee when this debacle began. Bank loans are not available to someone who is furloughed from their job. We managed to push it through the bank because there was no one in his HR department doing the work of updating his employment status- they were furloughed too. So the buyer's work status showed "employed" not "furloughed" for long enough for the sale to close. It was very stressful. My heart goes out to federal workers who are caught in this mess, and to all of us Americans who deserve a functioning government!

And don't even get me started << the rant begins, sorry>> on the unfortunate immigrant children being held in detention centers while we debate border walls and neglect the duty to govern. I am heartbroken that we would treat people this way. Crushing children's spirits is just unconscionable. I have always been so proud to be an American. I have believed that even though the United States is imperfect, that we were still keeping the light of freedom alive in so many ways. I hope that as a country we will return to our senses and remember that democracy is an achievement, let's stop tearing it down.

And one final thing, Democrats and Republicans have more in common than they have differences. Even in the age of Trump. Politicians can only divide us if we allow it. We need each other, and I remain hopeful that we are going to figure this out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts