Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I try to stimulate and engage with my Asta by trying to keep up with his training and teach him new things.

The latest thing he has learned is to wag his tail to "are you waggin'" He wags his tail to beat the band.
It is so cute, his tail goes like a little metronome.

We are now working on "find it" but making little progress. I now have 3 boxes, I tell him "find it" and lead him to each of the 3 boxes repeating "find it" and letting him sniff around each box. Sometimes he gets it, sometimes not. Now I think I will need a bigger separation between the boxes so he can more easily discriminate between them. Help on "find it" would be welcome.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Definitely spread the boxes out. In the level C-wags trial I went to the boxes had to 6 ft apart in the first level. Moving smells closer and closer makes it more difficult to discriminate where the scent is located. In addition you probably should start with one hide to make it easier.

Here’s my suggestion, keep in mind I’m new to the sport. Collect 5-8 empty and clean (no smells) boxes and use those to scatter around a room. Have one box labeled as your food box which is the box you want your dog to find and the box where you will feed treats as a reward for finding the box. It helps to start with a shoe box lid and slowly progress up to a closed box. Don’t contaminant the clean boxes with food.

Start with a treat in the shoe box lid, mixed around with the other empty boxes. When Asta finds the shoe box lid with the treat, reward heavily both with praise and drop lots of treats in the lid. You want to encourage him to stay at the box a long time, longer than he would sniffing empty boxes. Then remove him from the room while you switch some boxes around then call him back and repeat asking him to find and heavily reward the new find. Encourage him to smell all the boxes either before or after he finds the treat lid.

When he’s comfortable with the lid, transfer to a box with the top open and again treat heavily in the box. Eventually you can close the lid but drill a few holes to let scent out.

As he gets better at the game, add a second box and then a third. Next life the boxes off the floor on another box or chair etc so he learns to sniff not only the floor but space up to a foot.

It gets more complicated but this should give you a good start.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skylar - thanks for the instructions on how to teach "find it" I was doing it wrong, for sure. I'll give him a little break and start him over as you suggest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts