Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get this from my family members all the time " all you ever talk about is your dogs" But really, there isn't much more going on. I dont have kids, Im not dating (got married a couple years ago) all I do is work(dog groomer, the occasional cat) and come home and hang with the pooches. Sometimes I go to dog shows, and uhhhh thats it.

Do people get onto you about talking about your pets too much?

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Yep - I do it all the time, but fortunately me family and friends are very long-suffering! It's one of the reasons I spend so much time on this and other dog forums - I can whitter on about the minutiae of living with dogs without the listener falling asleep in front of my very eyes.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
my dogs love me unconditionally.

they make me very happy. i work from home. i am with them more than most humans. so yes, i'm pretty into my dogs.

my life:
my soap biz, furbabies, kidlets, plants & books.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I would LOVE to talk about dogs (my dogs, but even just dogs in general) MORE! I bring them up in conversation as much as I can, but I never really get to discuss dog stuff with anyone. Only one of my close friends has a dog, and I hardly get to talk to her, plus she's not really a dog freak like me.

There are a few people at work with dogs, but from what I've overheard in conversation...I just don't want to go there...I imagine there would be much facepalming on my part..

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
"Too" much is subject to someone's opinion!
And, since it's MY opinion that matters most on this issue, guess the ultimate answer is .....No, I'm not too much into my dog!:giggle:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I would LOVE to talk about dogs (my dogs, but even just dogs in general) MORE! I bring them up in conversation as much as I can, but I never really get to discuss dog stuff with anyone.
Yep! Me too!! I'm known as the crazy animal person by most of my acquaintances! I joined our local kennel club a couple of years ago and find that attending the monthly meetings (as well as the odd fundraiser or dog show or training session) allows me an outlet to "talk dog" to my satisfaction! :lol: I'm usually one of the last ones to leave the kennel club meetings because once all the business is accomplished, there are a few people who hang out afterwards and just chat about dog related stuff...

My husband's eyes used to glaze over when I'd talk to him about the dogs, but since we got Lucy (his PRINCESS!!) he's much more involved in all things dogs (even things involving our old dogs who've been with us for almost a decade!) Makes things much nicer at home, too! :)

I think everyone has their own interests, niches, talents, etc... one of mine just happens to be animals in general, dogs in particular, and I know it will never change. It's in my soul!

Barb

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I have been blamed for being too much into my dogs all the time, by family members and my close non doggy friends too. I have no children and so my standards are my babies. I also live with one mini finished bitch. What is there in life better than a blanket of poodes wrapping themselves around you on a daily basis ? My husband has to fight for his space on our king size bed and the pecking order in the household.. :)
Kidding aside he has been wonderful and very supportive of my expensive hobby and passion for breeding, raising and showing my dogs, and he continuously supports me and my addiction to this breed.
One can never bee TOO much into their dogs, unless their passion takes away from other stuff that they should tend to as well.
Hug your spoos today and always. They give us such unconditioinal love !

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
For some people? Yeah. But I'm no worse about dogs than my friends are about TV or their boyfriend or whatever (ah, teenage girls lol). I honestly don't even talk to them about dog stuff other than "oh my god you guys, you should see Desmond's new trick" or tell them something silly/cute he did. Oh, and I blab about the dogs at work a lot too ;) I love them, I can't help it. <3
They do come to me for advice on stuff like grooming things and exercise and "what do I do if my dog does this". Which is nice, gives me an opportunity to go on about something I know and care about :)

Usually though, I'm with fjm. I come HERE to talk dog! :D I don't want to bother my family/friends with the serious stuff, so I go here and Dogster to read and learn and hear other people's perspectives on things.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My family says I can turn any conversation into something about dogs LOL! But for over 30 years I was a groomer all day and did dog shows on the weekends and took care of my dogs in between...not too much time to have anything else in my life to talk about :) Now that I am retired I also talk about horses and chickens...:)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes I get told I'm a crazy dog person from my non dog friends. I don't consider myself a crazy dog person. Many of my "dog friends" are crazy dog people. And they tell me I now classify as a dog person. So maybe I am?

I'm single with 2 dogs, two evenings a week, and about one weekend a month involve my dogs. I don't have much else going on. When I first got Kodi, I didn't shut up about him! I'm sure my friends were tired of it! And now that he is almost ready to run flyball, I am super excited about all the little accomplishments (its been a very long road!). Most of them tolerate it, but they do tell me to shut up when it gets to be to much.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yes I am def. the crazy dog person. Even my husband thinks I've gone to the dogs. He is totally amazed when he hears Arreau and I chatting. We talk for hours about dogs. Its one of those things. lol.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I totally LOVE talking bout the minutia of all my dogs, and the dog I HOPE to own and the dog I worked on at work and the funny stories I heard about my friends' dogs. I love to talk about dog show placements, dog vet information, dog food and dog toenails....yes even the color of dog poop. So yes, I am over the top nuts about my dogs.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
dog toenails....yes even the color of dog poop. So yes, I am over the top nuts about my dogs.
Me too - we've got it bad, haven't we?!

Funny how no one ever talks about "crazy clothes woman" or "crazy motorbike man" though, isn't it? I know men who can talk football or rugby by the hour, and are considered completely normal. And women who can discuss fashion by the day. Yet five minutes on the interesting stuff you've discovered about canine genetics, and you're labelled weird ...

·
Registered
754 Posts
The short answer - YES!

The long answer: it's what makes me me :) My friends and family indulge me and I appreciate it. I see it as no different than any other "hobby". Often while watching tv, I will really be watching the dogs play instead. My husband will then say, "What's on poodle tv tonight?" Get a couple of spoos and cancel the cable, lol!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Funny how no one ever talks about "crazy clothes woman" or "crazy motorbike man" though, isn't it?

LOL so true !
I am not only poodle crazy, but also "clothes crazy". Love TJ Max or what we canadian have here as "Winners". Anything on sale I grab...
Know some people obessesed about shopping for food with coupons and incessantly talk about this. BOOOORING.
Canine genetic and poodle talking , give this to me any day of the week...
Love it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My daughter says I have poodle mania. I love them soo much. When my husband and I are in the car going someplace I always check out the dogs people are walking. I couldn't describe the people but I could tell you what the dogs look like:)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I do talk about dogs (and cats) a lot, but most of my life involves them. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, I own a pet accessories and apparel business, I'm studying to become a behaviorist and I had and am waiting on a service dog. I'm single, disabled and I live with my parents, so I don't do a lot of the things other people my age do.
Fortunately, 2 of my best friends are also dog crazy so we have a lot to talk about and the rest of my friends understand it. My family for the most part loves animals as much as I do, so that helps.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Add me to the list!! I Love to "talk dog"! I do get some of it out at work, but mostly i just get frustrated at the clients. My family puts up with it some, esp my mom. My family is not an animal family though, so i have to limit myself. Every activity i want to do i first think if i can involve my dog in it! I want to try things For my dog!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Did any of you ever hear of the speach Senator Vest gave in public forum about what a dog means to a human and what dogs in general represent to us?
I have his speach framed and on my wall in my puppy/whelping room. Every time I pass by and stop to read it, I get teary eyed.

I can post it here if you are interested to read it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Haha... I have learnt to stop talking about dogs too much.... My family say all the time I am too much into dogs... lol... haha I really don't care ...

But all my friends hassle me about the dog stuff all of the time lol... especially because of the poodle lol... but now that we are winning Junior Breed handling, agility and obedience.. they are seeing things in a different light!

I just make sure I am never the one to bring up dogs in a conversation lol... I wait for THEM to do it lol

1 - 20 of 53 Posts