Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you send them updates? Do they email you? Does any breeder send "Happy Birthdays"? How does your breeder react if you send them negative updates (be it health or behavior)?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I keep in touch with Vaka's and Charly's breeders.

They are both very nice and I can recommend them to anyone.
I try to send Charly's breeder new pics and news every 2-3 months.
Vaka's breeder I send show results and ask her general questions I have.

I think it was very hard for Charly's breeder to send him to me since he was over 1 year old when I got him and she was not keeping him for me.
He was her dog until he was 14 months old then I bought him from her and I think that makes it so much harder.
So I keep her posted as much as I can I know she likes it(or I hope so)

Vaka was mine from the start but she stayed with her breeder until she was 5 months old. So I hope it was a little bit easier to send her away.

I don't keep contact with Dima's breeder.

I think Both Vaka and Charly's breeders would respond very well to everything I have to say good or bad.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I keep in touch with my Havanese breeder and send her yearly birthday pictures of Bugsy. She loves to get the updates. I don't know what her reaction would be if I sent anything negative, as there's been nothing negative to report so far, knock on wood (he is 4). I also just sent pictures to the breeder of my calico persian kitty who turned 13 last month, again nothing negative to report as she has never been sick in her 13 years. My poodles are rescued, so no one to contact and send pictures to.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My breeder also grooms my dog for me, so she sees him every 6-8 weeks. Otherwise, I don't keep up with her more regularly. If I have a question or concern, I know that I can contact her and she is more than willing to give me advice.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Nickel just turned 4 months so there isn't a set routine regarding the communications w/ the breeder yet. I emailed him when the lab report came back showing Giardia and the breeder apologized and said that he would treat the rest of his pack. I sent him pictures of Nickel's after his first haircut and also his graduation picture (puppy kindergarten) and the breeder seemed to be happy.

I think I will send him an annual email + picture, unless (or until) I get the feeling that he doesn't really want any of the updates. But so far he has been happy to receive news from us and he always replies his email promptly. I would definitely get another puppy from him if he has toys or small minis.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I keep in touch with both Kodi and Mia's breeders.

We just learned that Kodi probably has a luxating patella, and I thought it was important for her to know. She was willing to share her experience and guidance in the matter. I had a big ear infection problem with him last year, and being my first poodle, she walked me through it and helped me get his ears pretty and clean again. I try to send pictures to her at least twice a year, I just sent some flyball pictures to her. She seemed to really appreciate them!!

Mia's breeder I see quite often... so she's spoiled and gets to see her at least once a month!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have had no contact with Ivy's breeder since I left her house with Ivy. I have kept in contact with my Mini Schnauzer's breeder, and I would have kept in contact with Ivy's breeder if they were worth keeping in contact with. . Ivy was mistreated while there, and I had to hold my tongue at the time so that the lady would let me adopt her. I ended up filing a complaint with their local animal SPCA because the dogs were in bad shape. If I were to have contact with her, it would not be a plesant convo at all. I would like to give her a piece of my mind though.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I keep in touch with Millie's breeder on Facebook as well - I am always giving her updates and photos.

Henry's breeder we keep in touch with via email but only a few times a year.
When Henry bloated his breeder was VERY sad to hear about the bad news, wanted updates on his recovery and sent him a care package.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
I keep in occasional touch with Poppy's breeder, and regular contact with Sophy's breeder - partly because Sophy's breeder lives close to my sister, and is happy to board the dogs if I go away. They LOVE it there, and it makes my holidays much more relaxed knowing the dogs are happy! It is only for a week or so each year, but my brilliant pet sitter stopped accepting my bookings (unfortunately she is allergic to fleas, and the cats had an badly timed infestation, despite the Frontline!). Having a place for them to stay where I know they will be happy is brilliant.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I didn't get Paris from her breeder, it was only a year or so later that I hunted down who her breeder even was but even then, the moment I said to her "this might sound strange, but I have a white standard poodle down here in Dunedin with the same birthday as your Lotti......" she interrupted and said "Is that Paris!??!" which was just awesome! Since then we've emailed each other at times, I share pics and movies, and she's even worked out how to send me videos of Paris' sister (in full show coat) at shows and stuff!!! And yes, she sent a 'happy birthday love from Gretyl [Paris' mum]' with a pic of Gretyl on Paris' b'day too which was lovely!!!

I am *hoping* that I can get to the NZ national dog show this year with Paris, and if I can then I can finally actually MEET Paris' breeder, and Paris' litter sister will be there too. *fingers crossed*!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I do keep in contact with Vega's breeder..I've never talked to Dodgers actual breeder..but I got Dodger from Vega's breeder..and i keep in touch with her regarding both dogs.

She's never reacted badly to any news. In fact, she has emailed me to ask if there is anything health/temperment wise that she should be aware of. She wants to know of any concerns regarding her pups.

Sagans breeder is here on the forums and I keep in touch via facebook.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I keep in touch with most of the breeders I have gotten dogs from. all have been very nice and like getting the updates on their puppies. the only one I had trouble with was Gotti's breeder, I actually have no idea where she is, or what she is doing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
My two most recent poodles are Beau and Belle--both from the same breeder. When I got Beau 5 years ago, we were frequently in touch. She wanted to know her puppy was doing well in his new home. I emailed pictures,sent Christmas cards with Beau pictures, etc. As Beau was sold with a spay-neuter contract, I sent a detailed letter with pictures when that was done, and I received a very lovely response. When I got Belle two years ago, I took Beau to visit, and meet the new girl. I sent the same kind of letter after Belle was spayed. I know Gayle wants to be notified, of any possible health problems, and I will do so, if the need arises.

Right now I think we are comfortable with each other as owner and breeder, so no, there is not a lot of contact.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I keep in touch with Karin - she started an email list for those of us with her dogs. We discuss the dogs - what we are doing - training - etc... a lot of folks on the list do agility and other dog sports. It is great to have her there to chat with - she tells us what she is up to and we all post pictures. It's really neat to see and hear about Vinnie's littermates.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've definitely kept in contact with Liberty's breeder. I send her yearly updates, or notifications of anything special she's done. I also let her know when Liberty was diagnosed with Addison's, and she had Molly, her mother, spayed. They hadn't had any more litters in the year between when I got her and she started with Addison's. Also, her breeder contacted me to let me know when Molly died of bloat. She was of course heartbroken. Like Winnow's situation, she had Liberty for 13 months, she was her "keeper," and they loved her sooo much. They then had to move out of state and could only bring 3 of their animals. It was then that Liberty and I found each other. I think in a way it's still hard for her breeder to hear about her, because she misses her, and I think she regrets giving her up, not because of me, but because they were so bonded. Who wouldn't after having her for so long? She hasn't said this, but I just get that feeling. I've offered to get together when she's in state, but it never seemed to work out. I think it was just too hard, especially after they lost Molly. But on the other hand, I think she's also glad for the updates, and is very glad that she's well cared for, happy, and proud of her for making a difference in the lives of so many people. I'm sure grateful to her for this amazing dog at my feet.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Even though I did not get Mitch from his breeder, his "foster" Dad is very good friends with her. Shortly after Mitch came to live with us, I went to visit her and the 6 week old litter of pups she had...she's a lovely lovely woman and we met up in the winter at the dog park so she could see Mitch in all his glory :p She wants to meet again sometime this summer and she'll bring one of her girlies.

I send her pictures of the boys and she is always so appreciative to hear that Mitch is having a great time and is so cherished by me.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
I have a lot of contact with Chagall's breeder. We exchange emails several times a month. She keeps me posted on how Chagall's sire, dam, some of his litter mates and other "relatives" are doing. I send her photos and updates by email and, from time to time, call her with questions. I take Chagall back to visit her periodically so she can see how he's developing. (She even teaches me how to teach him new tricks--awesome, huh?!) We'll plan our summer visit soon. She always seems truly appreciative and interested. Getting to know her was just one extra big bonus of bringing Chagall into our lives.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Flyer goes to his "grammy's" (breeder) most thursdays..*G*..and since we are friends and sometimes train together he sees her more often..My cavs breeder is also a friend and we see each other on occasion..both will take care of my dogs if I need to go out of town without them..my lab's breeder is my bosses son..so while I talk to him occasionally most of the info is passed through my boss.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts