Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, I would love to know what you are feeding. I’m thinking of switching my toy to a chicken free food when he turns one but most of them are grain free and all the news lately makes me nervous. The few that are not grain free seem to have a major focus on peas which I understand is part of the problem?

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Mine love chicken - I cook for them, and a complete chicken mince is an important part of their diet. What are your reasons for avoiding chicken?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to try a chicken free diet to see if it would help eliminate tear stains, as it has for some other toy poodles.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Toy, mini or spoo I don't think you should blanket assume chicken is a culprit for tear stains or other issues. I would get a NutriScan analysis and base diet decisions on some clear evidence. NutriScan showed that all of our dogs were sensitive to turkey but were fine with chicken.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toy, mini or spoo I don't think you should blanket assume chicken is a culprit for tear stains or other issues. I would get a NutriScan analysis and base diet decisions on some clear evidence. NutriScan showed that all of our dogs were sensitive to turkey but were fine with chicken.
I do get that. I just thought this would be a cheaper step -- try an elimination diet for a few weeks first.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
You can waste money down that road too and still not have an answer. I had to make real meaningful changes for a variety of individually annoying and collectively really problematic health concerns for three dogs so the expense of the NutriScans were well worth it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we tried the Health Extension Little bites Whitefish and Buffalo, slowly transitioning him, and have switched back to the Royal Canin for now. We found he was pooping SO much more, way more frequent, and it was almost urgent (he even pooped inside by the doors when we weren’t quick enough to get him out). Pee output was double at least and he even woke us up at 4:30am to pee which he NEVER does.

So for now we will stick with his old food. I think I will take the advice here and get him the nutriscan eventually, before making any diet changes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts